Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• License Plates Restoration

Hello,

Does anyone know if there is a method to restoring vintage metal license frames? Is there anyone who does it or is it as simple as rechroming it and then re applying the paint to the areas needed?

I have a set of original "Helton Motors Auburn" plates that came on my lark. They are not in the best of shape but are restorable.

Thanks
    1947 Studebaker M-5
    1946 Studebaker M-5
    1948 Studebaker Land Cruiser
    1961 Studebaker Lark 4-dr. Sedan
    1951 Studebaker Land Cruiser

It might be cheaper to have a small run of new duplicate frames made up by a company that does this for car dealers and others. I know that most frames are now plastic, but chromed metal is still available. If the originals look bad, the pot metal base is probably pitted and this would be a major cost to rebuild before the costly plating process.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

It might be cheaper to have a small run of new duplicate frames made up by a company that does this for car dealers and others. I know that most frames are now plastic, but chromed metal is still available. If the originals look bad, the pot metal base is probably pitted and this would be a major cost to rebuild before the costly plating process.

Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
      X