Hawk Tire / Wheel, how big will fit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawk Tire / Wheel, how big will fit?

I currently have 7.75 x 15 cheater slicks on stock 5" rims on the back of my '61 Hawk. They clear fine but need to be on a wider rim. Body and chassis are stock and will remain so. I figure a 7" rim with about a 5.5" backspacing, 1.0" positive offset would be good.

My question is-

What is the biggest wheel / tire combo someone else has had with success on a stock bodied Hawk? Tire size? Backspacing? Rim width?

A search will bring up at least a dozen previous discussions on tire and rim sizing and backspacing.

I've used 8" x 16" rims and 255 tires with no problems.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
      A search will bring up at least a dozen previous discussions on tire and rim sizing and backspacing.

I've used 8" x 16" rims and 255 tires with no problems.

jack vines
      Jack
      Do you have pictures of your hawk with taose wheels? What was the Backspace? And what did you use up front?
      Brian
      Brian Woods
      woodysrods@shaw.ca
      1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

I just ordered the rear wheels from Stockton wheel, 15" x 7", 5.25" backspacing Corvette style rally powder caoted silver. I have also ordered 15" x 4" same style from Jegs for the front. I will be ordering 5.60" x 15" front tire soon from Radir to match the slicks. I'll post some pics ounce everything gets here and their mounted.

JK

Comment

Originally posted by 3x2stude View Post
          My question is-

What is the biggest wheel / tire combo someone else has had with success on a stock bodied Hawk? Tire size? Backspacing? Rim width?
          On a '55 'C' body with a stock width Studebaker rear axle....
          8" wide wheels, 6" backspace. 31 X 10.5 X 15 tires. Half inch clearance between the tire and the fender lip and 1/2" clearance between the tire and the leaf spring.
          Jerry Forrester
          Forrester's Chrome
          Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Working...
          X