Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 59-64 Shop Manual Download?

Hey,

does anyone know where I could download (for a fee, of course) a .pdf version of the shop manual that covers my '60 Lark? I plan on buying the CD eventually, but the weather in my parts is supposed to be in the 70's and mostly sunny through the weekend, and I'd really like to get some stuff going ASAP.

If anyone knows of such a place where I could download said manual, I would very much appreciate it. Thanks!

--------
    Restoring my grandfather's '60 Lark, one rusted bolt at a time.

Maple Lake, Minnesota
    '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

I am thinking that if such a place existed, S.I. would no longer have any reason to continue getting their investment back by selling them!

Most of us at studebakervendors.com have them, but to get it today you would need to have a next door neighbor with one! It's already too late for overnight Fed-Ex!

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I am thinking that if such a place existed, S.I. would no longer have any reason to continue getting their investment back by selling them!

Most of us at studebakervendors.com have them, but to get it today you would need to have a next door neighbor with one! It's already too late for overnight Fed-Ex!

StudeRich
      Studebakers Northwest
      Ferndale, WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Well, I don't know about that. If SI sold a downloadable version online for the same price that the CD-Rom goes for, I can't see how that would hurt their business. I'd think it would be quite the opposite really. A download costs less to them than manufacturing and shippinga CD-Rom, and on top of that, downloads can take place anytime, and you don't need to pay a person to do anything, since the transaction and "shipping" all take place instantly online.

The only real argument against offering a download would be the question "What if someone uploaded it to the net and started distributing it for free? {PANIC!}" But let's think about that. First, if SI still holds the rights to the book, a quick letter or even as little as a simple phone call to any site hosting the manual would have it down within 24 hours, or according to the DMCA, SI would be entitled to damages. Further, since the manual already exists on a CD-Rom format, if someone were going to pirate it, it would have happened by now. And lastly, you can put a security key on a download like this, where the purchaser needs to register the product online before they can open it. That would cost very little to implement, and prevent widespread pirating.

Really, the only thing it would do is open up another avenue for people to get what they need. People like me would still probably get both the download and the CD, which has more books than just the one on it, and so it could even wind up increasing sales.

Just my thoughts. Although StudeRich, I likely will be ordering one of your CD's soon, either way.

--------

Maple Lake, Minnesota

Comment

Well, I don't know about that. If SI sold a downloadable version online for the same price that the CD-Rom goes for, I can't see how that would hurt their business. I'd think it would be quite the opposite really. A download costs less to them than manufacturing and shippinga CD-Rom, and on top of that, downloads can take place anytime, and you don't need to pay a person to do anything, since the transaction and "shipping" all take place instantly online.

The only real argument against offering a download would be the question "What if someone uploaded it to the net and started distributing it for free? {PANIC!}" But let's think about that. First, if SI still holds the rights to the book, a quick letter or even as little as a simple phone call to any site hosting the manual would have it down within 24 hours, or according to the DMCA, SI would be entitled to damages. Further, since the manual already exists on a CD-Rom format, if someone were going to pirate it, it would have happened by now. And lastly, you can put a security key on a download like this, where the purchaser needs to register the product online before they can open it. That would cost very little to implement, and prevent widespread pirating.

Really, the only thing it would do is open up another avenue for people to get what they need. People like me would still probably get both the download and the CD, which has more books than just the one on it, and so it could even wind up increasing sales.

Just my thoughts. Although StudeRich, I likely will be ordering one of your CD's soon, either way.

--------

Maple Lake, Minnesota

Comment

Jim, you won't find it downloadable online anywhere that I'm aware of. Part of this is that the CD is write-protected. I have the CD, but you can't copy any of it. It can be printed, scanned and then e-mailed, but it's a pain in the backside. I've done this in small sections for those in need, but the whole manual? Couldn't do it.

Here's the other reason to wait. The best way I've found to disassemble anything is to also have the parts book handy (included on the CD). I've disassembled the front end on my Daytona, but everything is labeled with the part number and a picture of the assembly (also from the parts book).

If you haven't started on anything yet, order your manual disc. For this sunny weekend, take the time to get pictures of everything. A project is best started with complete documentation of what you have. Wash it and clean it as best as you can. This is where I'd start. After that, form a plan on how to handle what you need to get done

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
            1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Jim, you won't find it downloadable online anywhere that I'm aware of. Part of this is that the CD is write-protected. I have the CD, but you can't copy any of it. It can be printed, scanned and then e-mailed, but it's a pain in the backside. I've done this in small sections for those in need, but the whole manual? Couldn't do it.

Here's the other reason to wait. The best way I've found to disassemble anything is to also have the parts book handy (included on the CD). I've disassembled the front end on my Daytona, but everything is labeled with the part number and a picture of the assembly (also from the parts book).

If you haven't started on anything yet, order your manual disc. For this sunny weekend, take the time to get pictures of everything. A project is best started with complete documentation of what you have. Wash it and clean it as best as you can. This is where I'd start. After that, form a plan on how to handle what you need to get done

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
              1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

I found a manual for free online at least a year ago. I posted a link to the forum. I'll have to find it.
                "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

I found a manual for free online at least a year ago. I posted a link to the forum. I'll have to find it.
                  "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

If you print it, bind it by sections - maybe 1/4" thick at the most.
                    It makes it easier to use that way.
                    I also lke to copy individual pages when this might help to have right at the site (hold on with magnets?).
                    Some pages you use often can even be laminated or put in clear sleeves.

Karl

Comment

If you print it, bind it by sections - maybe 1/4" thick at the most.
                      It makes it easier to use that way.
                      I also lke to copy individual pages when this might help to have right at the site (hold on with magnets?).
                      Some pages you use often can even be laminated or put in clear sleeves.

Karl

Comment

Karl,

As soon as I get the CD, that's what I plan to do! Of course, At the very best, that would still be five or six days from now, when It'll be raining and I'll be working

--------

Maple Lake, Minnesota

Comment

Karl,

As soon as I get the CD, that's what I plan to do! Of course, At the very best, that would still be five or six days from now, when It'll be raining and I'll be working

--------

Maple Lake, Minnesota

Comment

Tom,

Great advice. I agree with you - it's better to know what you're getting into. I actually lucked out and found someone online who posted the page on removing the front fenders, so hopefully I can still at least get something done this weekend, and in the next week or so, get the manual for the rest of the work I want to do. It's not perfect, but it's a good start for now

--------

Maple Lake, Minnesota

Comment

Tom,

Great advice. I agree with you - it's better to know what you're getting into. I actually lucked out and found someone online who posted the page on removing the front fenders, so hopefully I can still at least get something done this weekend, and in the next week or so, get the manual for the rest of the work I want to do. It's not perfect, but it's a good start for now

--------

Maple Lake, Minnesota

Comment

Working...
                              X