Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flat tires

Just griping about tires...
    The left rear tire on my '40 keeps going flat! (2nd time this week). I heard it hissing out of the valve stem. These are BRAND NEW 600X16 raidials with tubes. Is it possible that the hole in the rim where the valve stem comes out could have cut a hole in it? And how can I prevent it?

Also, did '39-'40 Champions come with spare tires? Mine dosen't have one.
    Thanks.
    Chris Dresbach

Try replacing the valve stem core if it's coming out of the stem.
    Jim
    Often in error, never in doubt
    http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

Does your car have a separate valve stem or a tube?

I assume you replaced the tubes at the same time as the tires, if it has them. There may be a rusty spot or some other imperfection around the valve stem that is causing it to be punctured.

Spare tire was mounted in the trunk.

Comment

I have read a couple of web sites which state that inner tubes and radial tires don't work well together. The claim is the sidewalls flex too much in the radials and the resulting friction rubs the tube causing it to fail. Here is one of the web quotes:

"Tubeless tires have thicker sidewalls than tube tires. The inner tube helps support tube tire sidewalls, and this helps maintain positive contact between the tire and the inner tube. The stiffer radial sidewalls cause friction with the inner tube, and this can lead to failure of the tube or the sidewalls, and a sudden blowout while driving."

Perhaps in your case the flex/rub has stressed the tube valve stem joint near the wheel hole causing a leak.

Comment

Take it apart and carefully clean the inside of the tire and the wheel. Run a cloth around both surfaces to check for burrs. Check and repair or replace the tube.

Remove the core from the stem and deflate tube. Apply a generous amount of baby powder to the tube and inside of tire. Note whether the stem is off-center top to bottom and if so orient it correctly. Carefully assemble so as not to pinch the tube. Be sure the stem is centered in the hole, not being pulled one way or the other. Inflate fully with the core still out, seating both beads. Now allow the tube to deflate fully- this allows the tube to settle into place. Install core and set pressure.
          Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
          Romans 15:13
          Deuteronomy 31:6
          Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

As Jim mentioned, check out the valve core in the stem of the tube and make sure it is tight. If you don't have one of the little tools for removing and installing a valve core, buy one. They are not very expensive and something every car guy should own.

If the tube has been cut or punctured near the valve stem...it is possible that the rim has a rusted rough spot or a burr in that area. When you take the tire and rim to the tire store. Ask for them to let you take the rim and clean it up with some sand paper before repairing the leak. If you clean up the rim and think it is still a bit rough in the stem area, you can take a piece of an old tube and make a gasket like re-enforcement washer to place around the stem and protect it from direct contact with the rim.

What you are experiencing is something very common to all of us who fool around with old iron. Keep on having fun.
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Just to add: The leaking around the stem could be from a hole anywhere in the tube, going from the hole, between the tube and tire, and out next to the stem.
              Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
              Romans 15:13
              Deuteronomy 31:6
              Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
                Just to add: The leaking around the stem could be from a hole anywhere in the tube, going from the hole, between the tube and tire, and out next to the stem.
                Great point Bob, and I forgot to mention that rubber rim liners used to be available to add a more protection between the rim and tube. You might want to ask your tire store if they can provide some of those as well.
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

In general, tubes and radial tires do not mix well. There are tubes specifically for radial tires. Did you reuse your old tubes?

When you say "out of the valve stem" I assume that you mean from around the valve stem which can be a hole anywhere in the tube. If you really mean "out of the valve stem", remove the valve from the stem, blow air through the opening to clear the seat area and install a NEW valve.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Earlier this year, the press carried articles about a huge batch of leaky schrader valves imported from China. I can't recall if any were installed in tubes, but they certainly were widely distributed to tire stores for use with tubeless tires.
                    Skip Lackie

Comment

Also, your valve stems may be too small for the hole in the rim. If so, there is a plastic ring that goes around the stem to fill the gap between it and the hole in the rim. I'd advise you to take it to a tire store. They will know what to do and it shouldn't co$t very much at all.

Comment

Try a tire store that deals with trucks, they should have tube liners from 16" split rims that should do the trick. Junior
                        sigpic
                        1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Great suggestions from Bob, but I agree with Junior. Make sure you have a new set of rim liners on those od 16" rims.
                          You could run some low profile bigs and littles. Plus lower the car about 6 ".
                          Good Roads
                          However you choose to drive them.
                          Brian and lower rh
                          Brian Woods
                          woodysrods@shaw.ca
                          1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Thanks for the advice.
                            The hole it was leaking out of was more like next to the valve stem. There could be a gap where the valve is a little too small for the hole. If that's the case I will put a spacer thing in that. There is no rust at all on the rims. One of the first things I did with my car when I got it was take all the wheels off and set it one blocks. I took the wheels to the tire store and had them taken apart and trashed the old tires and tubes. I then took the rims to be sand blasted completely then I gave them about four coats of primer and three of paint. I also put on all new tires and tubes. It probably does need a new set of liners, if I remember right it didn't have them in the first place! I also think I should go hunting for one extra rim to sand blast and make a spare tire.
                            Chris Dresbach

Comment

Working...
                            X