rear leaf springs on lark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear leaf springs on lark

getting ready to order new rear leaf springs from eaton.
    $479 for a 60 lark. emailed them and it's $400 to re-arch a set, with no guarantees it will take it correctly or how long it will last, so it's just as well getting a brand new one. Eaton also can give lift of up to 3 inches if desired.

My question is, has anyone installed new rear leaf springs into a 59-63 lark, and if so, did you just go stock or raise it a bit? Seems like the lark would benefit from an inch or so above stock to give it a better stance.

also saw a thread on composite springs from "flex-a-form". Seemed to be a positive response. Still the case?
    Or is there a better place to get them? (new - not from parts cars)

Thoughts, comments?

------------

EDIT:
    I got a response from Dave Thibeault. He has new lark 6-leaf heavy duty leaf springs which he says will work fine and help stance, and at $190 each. Sounds like an okay deal.
    Last edited by gohdes; 09-30-2010, 06:32 PM.

I got a NOS pair from SASCO last year. SI has plenty more in stock! And for much less - about half the price, if SI kept the line. You might call them up first. Eaton will make what you want, but they charge you almost as much to ship them from Detroit as they do to make them!

I have heard good things about the Flex-A-Form springs. The ones they make for Avantis will fit the Lark as well, and they only weigh about 25 lbs per spring, so unsprung weight is greatly reduced. Don't know what the pricing is, though.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

The "ol'-timer" that I am, I like the '60's musclecar stance of the rear being up for some rake. (Does the Stude Avanti stance come to mind?) Idea was that when tromping on it, there was a shift of weight to the rear which resulted in the rear lowering to level and greater bite on the rear tires. That could be more theory than science. In any case, an inch-and-a-half ought to do it. My '62 Daytona 4-speed is up and I just got Eaton to fab me springs with inch-and-a-half over stock for my '53 coupe.

--Paul

Comment

I have the Flex-A-Form leaf springs on my Avanti...they weigh about eight pounds apiece rather than about fifty for steel. I have nothing but good things to say about them. They cost about $400 for the pair several years ago...don't know what their current cost is.

If you're not concerned about originality, give consideration to the Flex-A-Forms.
        Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Originally posted by pgothard View Post
          The "ol'-timer" that I am, I like the '60's musclecar stance of the rear being up for some rake. (Does the Stude Avanti stance come to mind?) Idea was that when tromping on it, there was a shift of weight to the rear which resulted in the rear lowering to level and greater bite on the rear tires. That could be more theory than science. In any case, an inch-and-a-half ought to do it. My '62 Daytona 4-speed is up and I just got Eaton to fab me springs with inch-and-a-half over stock for my '53 coupe.

--Paul
          The real old timers like the tail down look of the '50s. I think that the raised look of the '60s was to make room for larger tires. As far as lowering at take-off, both looks will suck down, but the '50s look starts from a lower point.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

i've emailed flex form 4 times (with their "email us" link which is mark@flex-form.com) and it keeps bouncing back. Hmmmm..

Comment

I had a leaf added to the springs of my '64, and had the originals rearched (to match one another). It sits about 1" higher and has a good firm ride. It cost me about $225 5 years ago at a local spring shop.

Comment

Before you make any deals contact these folks,,

We are one of the oldest leaf spring manufacturers in the US of custom made leaf springs for classic cars, muscle cars, trailers, and heavy trucks.

I always get a decent price from them and the service is impeccable.
                http://datinmanspeaks.blogspot.com/

Comment

I went to Healy Spring in NE Minneapolis off of Central Ave and they did an outstanding job on my two rear springs for $185.00 That was about 5 years ago. They have been there for a long time and enjoyed working on the car.

Comment

I got a set of the 6 leaf springs from Dave Thiebalt a couple months ago. Service was great, and the price includes the bushings installed. He told me the ride height would be the same as stock. The 6 leaf springs are supposed to be the taxi/station wagon spec. I'm doing a V8 conversion and rear end swap, so I won't be putting them on the car for several months. I got a price Flex A Form, and it was just about the same as Dave's. The reason I went with the steel springs is that I may need to put traction bars on, and you can't use regular bars on the composite springs. His traction bars cost almost as much again as the springs, so that made my decision for me.

Comment

thanks for all the input.

Comment

Originally posted by showbizkid View Post
                        I got a NOS pair from SASCO last year. SI has plenty more in stock! And for much less - about half the price, if SI kept the line. You might call them up first.
                        So much for half the price. New standard leaf springs from SI in this years catalog $575, heavy duty is $590. Ouch!

Comment

I might just have an extra set of springs laying around. I was going to use them on my 59 Lark, but I bought a TT rear end in Hudson a couple of weeks ago and the guy threw in the springs (which look pretty good as well). I suppose I won't know for sure until I install them but I would be willing to let a set go if it means getting another Lark back together. I may even be in the Twin Cities area in the coming weeks for a parts run.

Comment

I had a set re-arched for $91 including new clips.
                            Bez Auto Alchemy
                            573-318-8948
                            http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                              I had a set re-arched for $91 including new clips.
                              I thought re-arching was not always a good thing however, since it's not a guarantee they will last and hold arch. Am I wrong in that? But also, getting the heavy duty version would certainly prevent further problems. All a matter of cost vs. value I guess.

Comment

Working...
                              X