Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ted & The Tomato SHATTER Their Own Record!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ted & The Tomato SHATTER Their Own Record!

Is shatter too strong a word?

You be the judge:

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

good report, Mr. Palma, Great run, Mr. Harbitt. As a part time racer since I could drive, those times are superb. Our Avanti's best run ever in the 1/8th was 10.4 I believe, and seemed like the 60 foot time took till noon, Ha !! That little motor built the way it is should certainly make a believer out of anyone. I would hate to be against it in the fastest of the cars I have owned. Congrats, John

Comment

Amazing, simply amazing!
      Chip
      '63 Cruiser
      '57 Packard wagon
      '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
      '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Great acomplishment

I'm with Chip, that is amazing, and I'm looking at past results from the PSMCDR, and I DON"T FIND A FASTER 60's, or even 70's car of any make.
        Ted is a living legend. CONGRATULATIONS. Good Luck on hitting high 11's. And great job on the Tomato
        Self correction, results from 09 show a few cars in 11's, still a very fast car, regardless.
        Last edited by jallen; 09-30-2010, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Amazing! Congratulations...

Comment

Simply hard to believe an R-3 can be this quick on street tires. Congratulations Ted, way to go. Once the engine loosens up some more who knows what is ahead!
            Frank van Doorn
            Omaha, Ne.
            1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
            1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
            1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Does this put Ted's car ahead of the Brown Wrapper for time ?
              sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Originally posted by 2R5 View Post
                Does this put Ted's car ahead of the Brown Wrapper for time ?
                Yep! At least for now...but remember, both are now powered by R3 engines, both have been bored .045 (.070 is maximum legal for Pure Stock) and now displace 312 cubic inches. Differences are ever so slight, so on any given Sunday, either could post a better time...but only if driven by Ted, of course! <GGG> BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Does this mean that after the Chicken Hawk incident that the doctors made Ted bionic ?

Comment

Congrads Ted, What a 60 ft time and a 12.20 to boot! Is the Tomato still running tapered axles? If not, a set of slicks at Muncie would be a blast while tuning.

Gordon

Comment

Ted, you continue to be my hero!
                      Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                      Romans 15:13
                      Deuteronomy 31:6
                      Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by laughinlark View Post
                        Congrads Ted, What a 60 ft time and a 12.20 to boot! Is the Tomato still running tapered axles? If not, a set of slicks at Muncie would be a blast while tuning.

Gordon
                        No, Gordon; both The Tomato and The Plain Brown Wrapper were among the first cars to be equipped with Harris / Fairborn Studebaker flanged axles. The company that makes the axles, Mosier Engineering, is maybe 50 miles from Ted's place, so it was easy for Ted, Phil Harris, and Malcolm Berry to work with Mosier developing those axles. BP

Comment

Bob,

What brand of "street" tires is Ted running on his car. One would assume they're the same on the PBR? Thanks And oh by the way a big congrats to Ted and his 1/4 mile expertise!

Dan Miller
                          Auburn, GA
                          Last edited by ROADRACELARK; 10-01-2010, 06:56 AM.

Comment

Anything on U Tube???

Comment

This proves Ted is still the HOT shoe in a Studebaker! He can squeeze the last tenth out of anything hs drives!! AMAZING time slip!! Amazing driver!!
                              Frank Remlinger
                              Detroit, Michigan
                              SDC# A004602R

Comment

Working...
                              X