PDA

View Full Version : Voltage of Motors

curt
04-20-2007, 12:51 PM
My 1955 President was converted to 12 volts by a previous owner. I se zero voltage reduction devices except for the coil's power supply. How can one tell the voltage of the motors: refroster,heater,wipers[?][?][?]?

Roscomacaw
04-20-2007, 02:00 PM
Curt, in some cases, you can SEE 12volts stamped or inked onto a given motor (on some 12V wiper motors, the label says it's a 12V). You could use an amp tester (meter) that slips over the power lead to a motor and see what current it draws - not that I have specs for such, but there ought to be a clue there. More obviously, I'd think if the output of your heater motors was worthy of a supercharger, you could suspect that they never were changed! Likewise as to wiper speed.[:0]
That blower motor in the right wheel well - does it LOOK like it's ever been tampered with? That might be a clue.;)

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle
http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/906179/2006/12/7/truckonhill3.jpg

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

StudeRich
04-20-2007, 02:35 PM
Curt, if this car has original looking fuel & Temp gauges, unless the FO specifically told you he had them re-built to 12V (very expensive and unlikely) there must be a volt-a-drop tucked up under the dash somewhere, or you would have smoked those already! My first concern would be the gauges, then the motors. Because like the horns, the amount of use will determine how long they will survive. I would make sure the radio, fog lights, clock and lighter are disconnected if so equipped. It IS a President, and a lot of those are pretty well loaded with accessories: std. & optional.

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

curt
04-20-2007, 04:57 PM
I see no reducer of voltage. The 'air' and 'defrost' switches look like ther have a white-cylinder-shaped mass built in to the side of the switch. The gauges have 12 V written on the back of the gauge mounting unit, and 6 volt marked out. I have the wiring harness out so I'm sure the lines have nothing hidden to drop the voltage unless the switch is a drop. The car has 4,000 miles on since I owned it. Restorer is dead. Wipers do seem to run fast. I connected the defroster motor up to a charger it runs slower on 6 V than 12 V from a chargers power. I see no stamping on the motors indicating voltage.

gordr
04-20-2007, 05:06 PM
quote:Originally posted by curt

I see no reducer of voltage. The 'air' and 'defrost' switches look like ther have a white-cylinder-shaped mass built in to the side of the switch. The gauges have 12 V written on the back of the gauge mounting unit, and 6 volt marked out. I have the wiring harness out so I'm sure the lines have nothing hidden to drop the voltage unless the switch is a drop. The car has 4,000 miles on since I owned it. Restorer is dead. Wipers do seem to run fast. I connected the defroster motor up to a charger it runs slower on 6 V than 12 V from a chargers power. I see no stamping on the motors indicating voltage.

The white cylinder may be the factory dropping resistor used to obtain low speed: a Nichrome wire coil within a porcelain tube.

Seeing as the restorer apparently went to the trouble of converting the gauges to work on 12 volts, he may well have substituted 12 volt motors, too.

If the motors are not giving any trouble, I'd not worry about them. If the wipers run too fast on all speeds, consider getting an aftermarket wiper delay switch as a work-around.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Roscomacaw
04-20-2007, 06:07 PM
Gord writes: "The white cylinder may be the factory dropping resistor used to obtain low speed: a Nichrome wire coil within a porcelain tube."

And that IS the case, gord. Of course they're not QUITE as effective at slowing a 12 volt motor but they do afford some difference in speed.

Gord again: " If the wipers run too fast on all speeds, consider getting an aftermarket wiper delay switch as a work-around."

It's too easy to get a motor from a '56 thru '60 car and just swap it in for the old 6volt unit. Fact is, I just provided a 12volt wiper motor to one of our forum menbers for just such a swap.:)

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle
http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/906179/2006/12/7/truckonhill3.jpg

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe