Challengers- How many built?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Challengers- How many built?

Having a 64 Challenger and going to car shows, people try to tell me Studebaker never built a Challenger. Could someone provide me with the build total, and how many sixes and eights?
    Thanks
    Paul Lausch

That's understandable, Paul, in that Challengers were only built during calendar year 1963, only in South Bend, and they barely built 6,000 (6,275, to be exact) in all models combined.

Here's the totals:

Challenger Six:
    2-door: 2,122
    4-door: 2,546
    Wagon: 453

Challenger V-8:
    2-door: 274
    4-door: 594
    Wagon: 286

Of course, today, the most sought-after model is also the lowest production one! BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Whatda they think...you stole the "Challenger" nameplate from a Dodge?

You could tell them: "this is a 1964", long before Dodge ever dreamed of stealing the name!
      Do they know there were 1964 Commanders, Daytonas and Cruisers?
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I think I remember reading some Numbers to that effect in TW years ago, but don't remember when. I once owned a 64 Challenger Wagonaire with a V8 3spd. Seems like there were less than 300 in that combination. NT
        Neil Thornton

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          Do they know there were 1964 Commanders, Daytonas and Cruisers?
          And they stole those three model names over the years, too!!

Craig

Comment

Thanks for the info. Bob.

Comment

Paul,
              According to the P.O., he said the car came with a 259 and auto.

Wayne
              Wayne Elks

66 Phantom Champ
              65 Cruiser
              64 Champ
              40 4-Dr Commander

Comment

Wayne-that is good to know because on the build sheet it just has "8"
                Paul Lausch

Comment

Originally posted by 00RACER View Post
                  Wayne-that is good to know because on the build sheet it just has "8"
                  Paul Lausch
                  If you have the Build Sheet, Paul, you should be able to tell it was a 259 by the engine Serial Number prefix V.

What other options does it have? 4-door? 2-door? BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Thanks for the info, Bob. The other options were 13 Jet green-14 Vinyl trim-19 Flight-o-matic-60 Climatizer-70 Undercoating and x81 Belts. As pictures of "Black Betty" were shown in another post, the green is now black, the vinyl trim is now red buckets, the flight-o-matic is now a Tremec 5-speed, the climatizer is now an intercooler, and the undercoating is long gone in an acid tank. Thanks again for your help.
                    Paul Lausch

Comment

Originally posted by rockinhawk View Post
                      I think I remember reading some Numbers to that effect in TW years ago, but don't remember when. I once owned a 64 Challenger Wagonaire with a V8 3spd. Seems like there were less than 300 in that combination. NT
                      There is a Challenger Wagonaire for sale right now in Oregon. It's a V8 with automatic. http://eugene.craigslist.org/cto/5119821804.html .
                      "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

It looks like there were 286 1964 Challenger V8 wagons built. Right now, it would take days of work to determine how many were automatics, versus sticks, and how many had sliding roofs.

But we do know there were only 286 "from which to choose." BP

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                          There is a Challenger Wagonaire for sale right now in Oregon. It's a V8 with automatic. http://eugene.craigslist.org/cto/5119821804.html .
                          Yeah, $2500.00 for a $300.00 to $500.00 rustbucket, some people are serious Dreamers, hoping to get rich quick.

Is it Rare?, you bet, is it desirable and repairable as a driver for under it's value? Not so much.
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Yeah, $2500.00 for a $300.00 to $500.00 rustbucket, some people are serious Dreamers, hoping to get rich quick.

Is it Rare?, you bet, is it desirable and repairable as a driver for under it's value? Not so much.
                            Just saw this car on craigslist. You could call me crazy, but I certainly do like that car.....too many projects right now. Now I know rarity doesn't mean much in the car world (the exception of some vehicles) but it seems that this has to be a rare bird that needs saving. I see a luggage rack, sliding roof, automatic and V-8 in a low trim level vehicle.....has to be worth something to someone to save. Is the price high? Yeah, I suppose, but to the right buyer....
                            1947 Studebaker M-5
                            1946 Studebaker M-5
                            1948 Studebaker Land Cruiser
                            1961 Studebaker Lark 4-dr. Sedan
                            1951 Studebaker Land Cruiser

Comment

You call that one correctly...way to much money.

Lou Van Anne
                              62 Champ
                              64 R2 GT Hawk
                              79 Avanti II

Comment

Working...
                              X