PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Problem

Rick Courtier
04-20-2007, 11:18 AM
Coming home from a local Steak House last night, I just started the engine and let it idle for a little while then put my lights on and backed out and pull on to US 19 (death trap). Just as I got on to 19 the truck went dead electrial wise. Head lights went out engine stop running so I coast to the side of the road and push the truck to the next available road. I tried to start it again with the lights off and it was dead. So I sat for a few minutes looking for my AAA card to call them and found it in my wallet. I thought before I call I'm going to try it one more time. And the truck started right up! Then I got a little braver and turn on the lights (got to have light to drive home at night you know) and everything seem fine again. So I drove it a few miles down the road to home with out any problems. This morning the Transtar started right up like nothing ever happen. I hate it when something like this happens because now it is impossible to trouble shoot. If it isn't broken you can fix it. . . any suggestion. . . everything in the electrial system is new from the restore job a few years ago including wiring harness, alternator, and just last year I replace the voltages regular again. Even the switch is only a couple years old. I know Jim Turner is going to say it a ground? <G>

Planning to drive it to Savannah and Alanta in a few weeks so I want to find the problem before then and get it fix! All ideas are apreciated!

[8]

Rick Courtier

1956 Sky Hawk
1956 Transtar
1905 Farm Wagon

41 Frank
04-20-2007, 11:22 AM
Sounds like the problem is between the battery and the solenoid like battery cable connection or where cable attaches to solenoid Rick.At least that is the first places I would check.

Rick Courtier
04-20-2007, 11:33 AM
Looked there this morning, and found no loose connections but it was a quick glance over while the engine was warming up. Will look closer today. Thanks, Frank. . . How's Omaha?

Rick Courtier

1956 Sky Hawk
1956 Transtar
1905 Farm Wagon

41 Frank
04-20-2007, 11:43 AM
Omaha is doing fine Rick about 75 today, almost like Florida, coming to SB? Sometimes a cable connection will appear fine but be corroded, take it loose and clean it, also the cable to solenoid connection remove it and clean it wih some emery cloth or some such thing.

DEEPNHOCK
04-20-2007, 11:44 AM
Since you lost 'everything' and lost it 'all at once' I would not look so much at the headlight switch right away.
I'd look at the connection(s) from the solenoid to the ignition switch, and from the solenoid to the headlight switch (or wherever your headlight switch gets it's power from. Probably the same source for your Pertronix, too.
But, hear Jim's voice droning in the back of your head.....
Did you lose multiple power connections, or did you lose 'one' ground?
Keep it simple, and start with cleaning your battery terminals.
Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Rick Courtier

Coming home from a local Steak House last night, I just started the engine and let it idle for a little while then put my lights on and backed out and pull on to US 19 (death trap). Just as I got on to 19 the truck went dead electrial wise. Head lights went out engine stop running so I coast to the side of the road and push the truck to the next available road. I tried to start it again with the lights off and it was dead. So I sat for a few minutes looking for my AAA card to call them and found it in my wallet. I thought before I call I'm going to try it one more time. And the truck started right up! Then I got a little braver and turn on the lights (got to have light to drive home at night you know) and everything seem fine again. So I drove it a few miles down the road to home with out any problems. This morning the Transtar started right up like nothing ever happen. I hate it when something like this happens because now it is impossible to trouble shoot. If it isn't broken you can fix it. . . any suggestion. . . everything in the electrial system is new from the restore job a few years ago including wiring harness, alternator, and just last year I replace the voltages regular again. Even the switch is only a couple years old. I know Jim Turner is going to say it a ground? <G>

Planning to drive it to Savannah and Alanta in a few weeks so I want to find the problem before then and get it fix! All ideas are apreciated!

[8]

Rick Courtier

1956 Sky Hawk
1956 Transtar
1905 Farm Wagon

Roscomacaw
04-20-2007, 01:52 PM
I'm with Jeff here. Unlike my '57, your Transtar has an ammeter. These things are notorious for developing a bad connection on one of their terminals, Rick. If one terminal gets even the slightest bit loose it'll start to heat up at that point and the wire lug will anneal itself and start arcing until it no longer transfers power. Let it cool down a bit, and it'll reconnect for a time - maybe DAYS - before it gives you grief again. One terminal of that ammeter hosts a wire (the "main feed" if you will) that goes to the battery terminal on the starter solenoid. This is where ALL the power feeds to everything in the truck save for the starter motor. Headlites, wipers, start switch/ignition - it ALL comes thru that one wire - TO the Ammeter and then onto the various circuits. OF COURSE - a bad or loose ground cable could cause the same symptoms. And sometimes those cables can go bad INSIDE where the wire inserts into the cable end!:(

I've told my horror story before about Pete's repeated power failures while on a trip outta town one time. I got home eventually, but NOT UNTIL I'd unwrapped a bunch of the harness and found where someone had "fixed" that main power wire with a wire nut and that wire nut had come loose! ARRRRGGGHHHH!!!!!!:([8][8][}:)]

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle
http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/906179/2006/12/7/truckonhill3.jpg

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

curt
04-20-2007, 05:05 PM
Even the battery cable at the battery could be corroded. Last week at a Kaiser Frazer Meet in Kansas I saw the same thing happen, everything out, period. I cleaned the battery connections for the fellow and off he went. The one connection looked OK. Once BOTH cables were removed and cleaned , kerzam she ran.:)

52 Ragtop
04-21-2007, 10:29 PM
Rick,
I agree with Mr Biggs, and Jeff, check the nuts on the ammeter! I had an Auburn repo years ago, and was driving on Hollywood blvd at night, when everything went dead, a few minutes later, she fired right up and I'd go another mile or two.
I reached under the dash, (who knows why) and touched one of the ammeters terminals, burned the end of my finger, as the nut had backed off, and when the (un) connection got hot, it quit, a few minutes later, she start right up. I "finger" tightend the nut, and got home ok.

Jim