No announcement yet.

When would be a good time sell my Lark?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When would be a good time sell my Lark?

We've decided to sell our 1963 Lark, but the question is when would be the best time to sell her.

Its a great car, but frankly she needs to be with someone who can take her from a driver that needs restored to the next level. And with my mother sick (terminal cancer) and everything that I have to do with her and her affairs, I just don't have the time to do what is right by the car.

Listing the Lark this fall is possibility. It would give whoever buys her all winter to work on her if they chose to.

Since we have a free garage for our use this winter, I can also garage her, and save her for spring and sell her then.

We will get another Studebaker in the near future, probably after we get family matters settled - I figure I'll need a diversion.

I am sorry you and your family are having to travel this too often traveled path. However, your post indicates that you have your priorities in order. You are in our prayers.

As to the "best time" to sell the Lark...I really think it is too subjective to have an absolute answer. If you feel that it is too much of a distraction to deal with at this time...how about the possibility of enlisting the aid of a nearby club member for assistance? If you are wanting to get a fair price and find it a good home, that may be the best solution. If you want to get most dollars for it, prep time, sales time, and the effort involved might be as much a burden as working on keeping it.

Regardless of the disposition of the car...I wish you well and all the best during this difficult time.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Forgive me, I'm a bit confused. I agree with Mr. Clary in that you have your priorities quite right. Where I'm confused is your methodology. If you have the garage space and intend to possibly replace the car in the near future, why sell it? Why not just mothball the car, far less effort than prepping it for sale, and shove it into the garage. Then, when things calm down and you can move on with your life, bring Rose out again. The car won't be harmed by the inactivity as long as very simple and quick measures are taken to prepare her. I mean, a little marvel oil in each cylinder with loose plugs, jack stands in each corner, mothballs and dryer sheets and possibly a kingsized bed sheet to minimise the dust and she's asleep till needed again. Unless, of course, you think a change might be in order in the future.

Other than that, Mr. Clary's suggestion of a trusted fellow Chapter member is a sound one if you insist on selling the car. You have a lot on your mind and plate, so seeking help might be very wise. Also, keep in mind that the price on everything right now is very much depressed. So it's a particularly bad time to sell.

Regardless of what you decide, may our gracious Lord uphold and strengthen you.
      Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
      K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
      Ron Smith
      Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

If you decide to sell the Lark now, via eBay or other means, offer to store the car for the Winter. That would make a big difference with many potential buyers at this time of year.

If you see a Studebaker in your future and you like your present Lark, I suggest just storing the car. If you think that you want a different Studebaker in the future, put this Lark on eBay with your minimum as a reserve. If it sells, fine. If it does not sell, store it and try again in the Spring.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studeclunker View Post
          If you have the garage space and intend to possibly replace the car in the near future, why sell it? Why not just mothball the car, far less effort than prepping it for sale, and shove it into the garage. Then, when things calm down and you can move on with your life, bring Rose out again. The car won't be harmed by the inactivity as long as very simple and quick measures are taken to prepare her. I mean, a little marvel oil in each cylinder with loose plugs, jack stands in each corner, mothballs and dryer sheets and possibly a kingsized bed sheet to minimise the dust and she's asleep till needed again. Unless, of course, you think a change might be in order in the future.

Other than that, Mr. Clary's suggestion of a trusted fellow Chapter member is a sound one if you insist on selling the car. You have a lot on your mind and plate, so seeking help might be very wise. Also, keep in mind that the price on everything right now is very much depressed. So it's a particularly bad time to sell.

Regardless of what you decide, may our gracious Lord uphold and strengthen you.
          Excellent post Ron, one of your best ever. I especially like your last sentence. I echo that sentiment.
          Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
          Romans 15:13
          Deuteronomy 31:6
          Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Stu, I sent you an email.

Comment

Working...
            X