No announcement yet.

Bob Andrews, this is your department...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob Andrews, this is your department...

Is this considered bent?

(Poly bagging 'aint helping me.)
    Attached Files
    KURTRUK
    (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

I have the same problem.
    We need to get taller mailboxes

Originally posted by kurtruk View Post
    Is this considered bent?
    (Poly bagging 'aint helping me.)
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

As a former carrier (retired) I think I can speak for Bob and say that your idiot carrier folded the TW the wrong way.
      Chip
      '63 Cruiser
      '57 Packard wagon
      '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
      '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

What issue of TW is this...last on I received was the one with the Gold Stude prototype on the cover. Junior
        sigpic
        1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Originally posted by raoul5788 View Post
          As a former carrier (retired) I think I can speak for Bob and say that your idiot carrier folded the TW the wrong way.
          Ugh, Chip is right. I don't see why this was done.

When the mail is sorted into the carrier's case, it must fit into the customer's slot- 1" wide by maybe 6" tall. Each box has its own slot. As Chip said, it should not have been folded against the spine! It's happening at the sort case; it wouldn't be necessary to fit the carrier's tray or bag, or your mailbox.

Contact your postmaster; if you can, it would be great to bring the magazine to show. Visuals make a point much better than yelling. Frankly, if the postmaster does anything but apologize and promise to address the issue, go higher. Should not be happening!

Let us know what comes of it. As a mail carrier it pisses me off.
          Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
          Romans 15:13
          Deuteronomy 31:6
          Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

This doesnt happen to magazines that are printed in traditional format.... just saying.... okay, you can chastise me now.
            sigpic
            In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
              Ugh, Chip is right. I don't see why this was done.

When the mail is sorted into the carrier's case, it must fit into the customer's slot- 1" wide by maybe 6" tall. Each box has its own slot. As Chip said, it should not have been folded against the spine! It's happening at the sort case; it wouldn't be necessary to fit the carrier's tray or bag, or your mailbox.

Contact your postmaster; if you can, it would be great to bring the magazine to show. Visuals make a point much better than yelling. Frankly, if the postmaster does anything but apologize and promise to address the issue, go higher. Should not be happening!

Let us know what comes of it. As a mail carrier it pisses me off.
              If your postmaster isn't helpful, ask him for the name and number of the POOM. That's his boss.
              Chip
              '63 Cruiser
              '57 Packard wagon
              '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

What Bob Andrews and others said: this virtually had to be done by your postperson.
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                  I have the same problem.
                  We need to get taller mailboxes
                  You don't have a choice when you live in modern suburbia. Our neighborhoods have a "community" box on a pedestal. (I'm sure the PO has a much more imaginative name for them ) Walk half-a-block to get your mail. Each cubby opening is 6"x5". This is all fine with me--except for what happens to my TW about 8-10 times a year.

Bob, you can try and convince me otherwise, but I can't believe calling it to their attention is going to change anything. We have different carriers constantly. Mail gets delivered mid-afternoon. I really don't expect them to remember one magazine a month for one customer out of all the other stuff they deliver, different routes, etc.

It's going to be 102 degrees tomorrow. Maybe when I finish driving my 350 miles tomorrow, I'll go stand in line at the PO for 45 minutes so I can finally open my TW. Yeah, that sounds like a plan.
                  KURTRUK
                  (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

You don't have a choice when you live in modern suburbia. Our neighborhoods have a "community" box on a pedestal. (I'm sure the PO has a much more imaginative name for them ) Walk half-a-block to get your mail. Each cubby opening is 6"x5". This is all fine with me--except for what happens to my TW about 8-10 times a year.

Bob, you can try and convince me otherwise, but I can't believe calling it to their attention is going to change anything. We have different carriers constantly. Mail gets delivered mid-afternoon. I really don't expect them to remember one magazine a month for one customer out of all the other stuff they deliver, different routes, etc.

It's going to be 102 degrees tomorrow. Maybe when I finish driving my 350 miles tomorrow, I'll go stand in line at the PO for 45 minutes so I can finally open my TW. Yeah, that sounds like a plan.
                    There are large plastic cards that can be sorted daily with your mail that have special instructions on them like "don't bend this guy's magazines". If they make one for you don't be surprised if they deliver it one day!
                    Chip
                    '63 Cruiser
                    '57 Packard wagon
                    '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Our neighborhoods have a "community" box on a pedestal. (I'm sure the PO has a much more imaginative name for them )
                      Matter of fact, it's called an NDCBU. Don't recall what it stands for. Also called Centralized boxes.

The Post Office LOVES abbreviations and acronyms. I think they're stupid. I've been there too long now, but some used to get mad at me when I didn't play that silly game. Yes, I did have the argument a few times:

Somebody uses an abbreviation
                      I ask what it means
                      they tell me
                      I say, why not just say it?
                      they say because it saves time.
                      I say, well didn't actually take more time to have to explain the abbreviation than to just say it in the first place? (Always followed by red ears and pouting, and me snickering. I'm terrible with my logical thinking)...
                      Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                      Romans 15:13
                      Deuteronomy 31:6
                      Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

They're called by all & sundry "Cluster Boxes" and go ahead and think what you're gonna, I beat you to it by about 25 years. They are just as unpopular with delivery personnel as with customers. Thery're even inconvenient for vandals, compared to a curbside box. On paper at least, they save time and money, and keep the mailman away from your dog, upturned lawn rake, and the "breakfast was my idea" punchline.

City carriers don't have to fold flat-size pieces into the cubby-case like those "old-fashioned rural guys" do. They have a flats case. And when they are trained, they are taught that there's a right and wrong way to roll a mailpiece, either for the sorting case or for the mail receptacle. Having a different carrier or a sub or a casual on the route is no excuse for not following a standard work practice.

Post offices still take complaints over the telephone (there is a call management system, but USPS.com "Find Post Office" gives local numbers), and if all else fails you could drop the manager a note.

Comment

Milaca is right, it doesn't happen to other mag.s. I had to show my carrier (nice Lady) that the spine was on the short side, and she hasn't bent it again since.
                          Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

The carriers out here in boontulies Trinity County CA are not Post Office employees. They're independent contractors who bid for the routes. I've thought about doing it, however I don't like the idea of wearing out a car for peanuts.

As to the residential community boxes, it's better than having to drive into town for your mail. No one gets door-to-door delivery in our county. Very few even get mailbox delivery. The vast majority are required to drive, sometimes twenty miles, to the local Post to recieve their mail. And the Post office wonders why e-mail is so popular and putting them out of business???
                            Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                            Ron Smith
                            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

NDCBU means Neighborhood Delivery, Collection Box Units.

You need to speak to your carrier first. Most are pretty good about it once you point it out to them. Especially when they figure out it's easier for them if they bend it with the spine instead of against it. Don't put up with it and don't give up if you complain and it happens again. Complain EVERY time! As a retired postmaster I can assure you that these issues get dealt with differently when they are repeat issues.

I actually liked it when people called me back about something happening again. It really helped me to get the idiot behavior corrected for good. And don't stop with the POOM (we called them MPOOs). A call from your congressman will get a lot of attention.

But please, start with your delivery person. Most of them are good people who care a lot about your service. - Can I get an AMEN on that one Bob?
                              Jon Stalnaker
                              Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Working...
                              X