Busy Studebaker weekend.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Busy Studebaker weekend.

Got a lot accomplished over the past week or so I've been home, and particularly this weekend. Winter is coming, and I've been trying to get the yard in shape, mowing, weed-whacking, and trimming hedges a little bit. Needless to say, the mowing necessitates moving the vehicles so I can mow under them. So far, the move-ees include: '64 Avanti, '64 Wagonaire, '64 Daytona, '52 2R15, the Studebuggy, '63 Lark VI, '53 2R17A, '62 Champ, '47 M16, and a Cacavalier, which has been tentatively sold down the road. All these moved under their own power, and four of them were moved today, the largest per-day migration of this season.

The M16 also is in the throes of getting a little work done on it. I fixed the loose exhaust flange, and put a gasket in it, and I began re-installing some of the sheet metal for the front clip that I took off and painted a couple of years ago. I'll do some more tomorrow, and hope to have everything, except for the front fenders, back on it.

Yesterday, I spent literally hours making a tire leak-check basin out of a segment cut from an old tractor tire, and some scrap metal for its support stand. I had a brilliant idea that turned out to be less than brilliant. I figured when I cut the tire, I'd leave a little of the wire bead hanging out, and weld the support frame to those stubs. Well, I couldn't weld to that stuff to save my life. Tried the stick welder, and tried the acetylene torch with some brazing rod. No stickum at all. So I cut the stubs off, and trapped the bead behind pieces of angle iron instead. The finished product is ugly as all get-out, but it will serve its purpose.

And I have enough tractor tire left to make at least one more basin. Might be good for an electrolytic deruster. I cut the bead wire with a cutting disc on the angle grinder, and a reciprocating saw cut the rest of tire pretty well.

The tire test basin will get put to good use during the next few days, I'm sure.
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Would be cool to see a picture of that basin, Gord!
    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Hi Gord
      I can feel for you as I had spend some time on the mower too. In the midst of working on Studebakers also. As you know I am working on two at once now. So Thursday and Friday I got to work on mine (56 Hawk) chopping the top. Sadurday and Sunday the sandblaster was here all day both days, blasting Sandi's 61 Hawk. Now both are progressing very nicely. In between, yard work, new roof on the barn, and working on my new "Personal" 1600 sq ft shop. Oh and we did manage to get the 55 Buick convertible painted between Wednesday & Friday.
      Yes, it is good to be busy, but it even better to sit down with a glass of red wine in front of the computer and talk to all my new SDC Forum friends.
      Good Roads
      Brian
      Brian Woods
      woodysrods@shaw.ca
      1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

>I had a brilliant idea that turned out to be less than brilliant. I figured when I cut the tire, I'd leave a little of the wire bead hanging out, and weld the support frame to those stubs. Well, I couldn't weld to that stuff to save my life. Tried the stick welder, and tried the acetylene torch with some brazing rod. No stickum at all.

I have this same problem. I keep forgetting to allow for dispersal of energy through potential heat sinks: in this case, all that rubber. If they didn't dissipate heat they'd explode on the road.

>So I cut the stubs off, and trapped the bead behind pieces of angle iron instead. The finished product is ugly as all get-out, but it will serve its purpose.

I respectfully (trust me) disagree: form always follows function in a good design. I am sure it looks perfectly like what it is, and does what it does perfectly. Good on you.

Comment

"the largest per-day migration of this season."
          'Taint easy to make me LOL. That was, as we say, funny right there.

I live in a bird-watcher heaven, at the intersection of two flyways.
          You actually see reports like that in our local paper.
          "Mist net" shows up equally in the Sports, Outdoors, and Technology sections.
          Last edited by comatus; 09-27-2010, 03:55 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

What comatus said, Gord: 'Love the migration usage. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Made a little more progress on the M16. Center grille has had stress cracks welded, and bent ribs straightened, and a little rust repair to the lower edge, and is now in primer. Right hand catwalk and engine room side panel are all bolted in. Today I welded up stress cracks and straightened bent metal in the hood, and it's ready for primer, but I got chased indoors by a rain shower. I plan to mix up a batch of red farm implement paint, and shoot the parts in primer, and I might mask and shoot the whole cab, which was previously brush-painted with similar paint. Have to see if I can make the hoist work, and raise the box out of the way to paint the back of the cab.

Needless to say, I will prop the box with a 4X4, and won't trust the hoist.
              Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

And I thought it was the Sunday after Thanksgiving, where 95% of the snowbirds show up in Florida

Originally posted by gordr View Post
                <snip>
                All these moved under their own power, and four of them were moved today, the largest per-day migration of this season.
                <snip>
                HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
                X