New display for #9 Avanti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New display for #9 Avanti

If you haven't been to the California Auto Museum in a while, check out the new Bonneville display just inside the front door.

Jon Stalnaker
    Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Does anyone have an ownership history on this car? I'm pretty sure it was once owned by the guy with the Eichler house and the Jaguars in Granada Hills (Los Angeles) mentioned in another thread a while back and I'd like to be completely certain.

Mahalo nui

Comment

Originally posted by JGK 940 View Post
      Does anyone have an ownership history on this car? I'm pretty sure it was once owned by the guy with the Eichler house and the Jaguars in Granada Hills (Los Angeles) mentioned in another thread a while back and I'd like to be completely certain.
      More info on its history in this thread: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ght=granatelli

Obviously, they plan on keeping it there for longer than I thought now that they've made a themed background painting for it. When I was there last June, it was supposedly on 'short term' loan to the museum.

Craig

Comment

Were those Halibrands really that dark gray color? I thought they were more silver, like the knock-off in the middle of the wheel.
        Bill Pressler
        Kent, OH
        (formerly Greenville, PA)
        Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
        Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
        1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
        1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
        All are in Australia now

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
          More info on its history in this thread: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ght=granatelli

Obviously, they plan on keeping it there for longer than I thought now that they've made a themed background painting for it. When I was there last June, it was supposedly on 'short term' loan to the museum.

Craig
          The car is owned by John Hora of the L A area. There was an effort going on to get the car displayed in South Bend but the guy that was spearheading that effort is no longer available. I'm not sure what the status is currently. The Bonneville backdrop actually was not created for the Avanti but it certainly is appropriate for it and it looks great there.

The California Auto Museum lucked out in the deal and the car is still there.
          Jon Stalnaker
          Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Jon, you are a prince among men. I could not remember John's last name to save my soul: it has been more than thirty years. Thank you.

And yes, the Halibrands really are exactly that color, though they probably read a little dark on any monitor that hasn't been color-corrected.

The best thing about being a passenger in that car is the fact you have to remember to open the window if you want it open before you close the door: the roll cage leg running down the A pillar makes it impossible to turn the crank after you have settled in to fly.

Originally posted by Sdude View Post
            The car is owned by John Hora of the L A area. There was an effort going on to get the car displayed in South Bend but the guy that was spearheading that effort is no longer available. I'm not sure what the status is currently. The Bonneville backdrop actually was not created for the Avanti but it certainly is appropriate for it and it looks great there.

The California Auto Museum lucked out in the deal and the car is still there.
            Last edited by JGK 940; 09-26-2010, 10:37 PM. Reason: word choice

Comment

Working...
            X