Avanti -- The muscle car???!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti -- The muscle car???!!!

Received a call last week from a member of a local loose affiliation of race car guys called the Bay City Rollers. He asked if I'd like to bring my Muscle Car (83 Avanti) to the small show they hold every year, by invitation, on this date and they go drag racing the following day at a small drag strip about 50 miles away. Ubly, Mi.

Said I love to go to the show but can't make the races due to prior commitments. So today fired up the 83 and drove over. I must say there is some serious iron in this area. But the Avanti was kinda lonely as there were twice as many Willy's as us. 2 of them- 1 of us.

Not a big show but a great time talking cars with big motors and a lot of positive response and questions about the Avanti.

If nothing else, this gives me the excuse to post a couple of shots of the 83.

A shot of a number of the cars.

The 83

And one last shot for Michidan. Here is a 454 in a 56 Chevy with a stock 454 lower end (now 514 cu. in) that has a lot of top end work tied to a GM 400 auto and 5:12 GM 12 bolt that has run undamaged for 5 years and runs in the 9.80's 1/4 mile Documented.

Next year I'm going racin', it looks like to much fun not to participate.

Bob

Lookin' good, Bob...and a whole lot drier than Stanton last weekend, eh? <GGG> BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Nice Avanti there Bob. Hanging out with racers is a blast. Looks like it was nice out too..

Gordon

Comment

Nice looking car Bob. That is one highly modified looking Avanti!
        Hardcore Motown? What's that? Performance parts made by Detroit Street Gangs? Lol!
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Posted by Bob Palma
          Lookin' good, Bob...and a whole lot drier than Stanton last weekend, eh? <GGG> BP
          It sure was but not as much of the Sturm and Drang that makes the PSMCD's.

One thing of interest, as I've said on many occasions, Bay City is not the Studebaker capital of Michigan, But I am pleased by how many of the local hard core racers remember watching Ted Harbit and that little Lark race and win.

Posted by Studerich
          Hardcore Motown? What's that? Performance parts made by Detroit Street Gangs?
          Luckily you are 2500 miles away when you say that. Rich, actually they are Hardcore Racing Products from NY and Motown is part of their product line. They build serious SBC stuff. The covers were on the engine when I bought it and I think they will disappear when I find a pair of black ones I like.

Thanks guys

Comment

It's daylight...You'd think the Bay City Rollers would only hold an event on S-S-S-Saturday Night.
            9.80's is flat getting with it. My dad, at 72 years of age, run 9.30's in a Nova. His big block is 540 cubes, but I know how much work is in the motor, and also the chassis. It doesn't come easy or cheap. That's a really nice 56.

Comment

"Is that a supercharged one??", I get that all the time. Some people know.

Tom
              '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
              Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
              http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
              I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Working...
              X