PDA

View Full Version : help with weasel

grofkar
09-01-2006, 09:13 PM
We bought a Weasel with, what we were told, a Studacker engine and has Nodwell conversion track system- No paperwork or manuals (of course).
We need a manual and/or anything that would be helpful in maintaining and fixing it -including ,hopefully having to do with the track system.We are currently having trouble "steering" to one direction.
I can send pictures to anyone that could verify what yr and/or type it is....unless someone is in Alaska that could help me.

Going through web search I have come accross your site and am wanting to know if you can steer me in the right direction on finding out more info on this rig.
Thank you for any and all help Greta and Mike Warner P.O. Box 4846 Palmer Alaska 99645 (907) 746-3864 gretaj@mtaonline.net

Guido
09-01-2006, 09:21 PM
Weasels are fairly scarce items. Perhaps Gord Richmond is lurking about and can provide you with some info. You may try doing a search for him here and sending an e-mail directly.

Perhaps a better option would be to do a web search for military collector clubs. The folks with tanks and armored cars may be more in touch with your vehicle.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Guido
09-01-2006, 09:21 PM
Weasels are fairly scarce items. Perhaps Gord Richmond is lurking about and can provide you with some info. You may try doing a search for him here and sending an e-mail directly.

Perhaps a better option would be to do a web search for military collector clubs. The folks with tanks and armored cars may be more in touch with your vehicle.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

61hawk
09-01-2006, 09:45 PM
I'd start here:
http://www.m29cweasel.org/

Lee

61hawk
09-01-2006, 09:45 PM
I'd start here:
http://www.m29cweasel.org/

Lee

gordr
09-02-2006, 03:48 AM
quote:Originally posted by grofkar

We bought a Weasel with, what we were told, a Studacker engine and has Nodwell conversion track system- No paperwork or manuals (of course).
We need a manual and/or anything that would be helpful in maintaining and fixing it -including ,hopefully having to do with the track system.We are currently having trouble "steering" to one direction.
I can send pictures to anyone that could verify what yr and/or type it is....unless someone is in Alaska that could help me.

Going through web search I have come accross your site and am wanting to know if you can steer me in the right direction on finding out more info on this rig.
Thank you for any and all help Greta and Mike Warner P.O. Box 4846 Palmer Alaska 99645 (907) 746-3864 gretaj@mtaonline.net

Lee gave you a good tip with his link. Do go there and ask for help. You can get good reprints of the original military manuals from Portrayal Press, which is www.portrayal.com (I think.).

Nodwell track conversion? Nodwell tracked vehicles were built in Calgary by the Nodwell brothers, if I remember right. Company became Canadian Foremost, and is still around, I believe. Plenty of their vehicles around, and they are still called "Nodwells". They don't have any suspension that I know of, just rubber-tired bogies rolling in a groove in the center of the track, which consists of two strips of conveyor belting joined by metal cross-ties. I dare say it would involve a lot of modifying to put tracks of that type on a Weasel.

I'd be curious to see any pics you can send me, and you can use the email link to reply to me directly.

Weasel steering is accomplished by brake bands inside a controlled differential. You are supposed to use motor oil in there. If somebody puts 90W EP gear oil in there, the brake bands become glazed, and steering becomes very difficult. My Weasel came to me that way. I had to remove the differential, have the drums cleaned up in a lathe, and had the bands relined with some new-tech friction material made for oil immersion. Steers like a dream now. By the way, turns at low speed are best accomplished by repeated short applications of the steering lever, and you have to feed more throttle when turning.

I'm no Weasel expert, but I do own one and have made it run.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

gordr
09-02-2006, 03:48 AM

Lee gave you a good tip with his link. Do go there and ask for help. You can get good reprints of the original military manuals from Portrayal Press, which is www.portrayal.com (I think.).

Nodwell track conversion? Nodwell tracked vehicles were built in Calgary by the Nodwell brothers, if I remember right. Company became Canadian Foremost, and is still around, I believe. Plenty of their vehicles around, and they are still called "Nodwells". They don't have any suspension that I know of, just rubber-tired bogies rolling in a groove in the center of the track, which consists of two strips of conveyor belting joined by metal cross-ties. I dare say it would involve a lot of modifying to put tracks of that type on a Weasel.

I'd be curious to see any pics you can send me, and you can use the email link to reply to me directly.

Weasel steering is accomplished by brake bands inside a controlled differential. You are supposed to use motor oil in there. If somebody puts 90W EP gear oil in there, the brake bands become glazed, and steering becomes very difficult. My Weasel came to me that way. I had to remove the differential, have the drums cleaned up in a lathe, and had the bands relined with some new-tech friction material made for oil immersion. Steers like a dream now. By the way, turns at low speed are best accomplished by repeated short applications of the steering lever, and you have to feed more throttle when turning.

I'm no Weasel expert, but I do own one and have made it run.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

rockne10
09-02-2006, 06:32 AM
Others I know with operating Weasels:

Shrock Brothers http://www.shrockbrothers.com/

Mike Margerum, Box 0, Elizabethville, Pa 17023

Brad Johnson
Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
33 Rockne 10
51 Commander Starlight
53 Commander Starlight
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/rockne10/51x2.jpg
previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser

rockne10
09-02-2006, 06:32 AM
Others I know with operating Weasels:

Shrock Brothers http://www.shrockbrothers.com/

Mike Margerum, Box 0, Elizabethville, Pa 17023

Brad Johnson
Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
33 Rockne 10
51 Commander Starlight
53 Commander Starlight
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/rockne10/51x2.jpg
previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser

whacker
09-02-2006, 09:14 AM
The engine is really a Studebaker Champion 6 with some different accessory mounts and a wierd water pump.

whacker
09-02-2006, 09:14 AM
The engine is really a Studebaker Champion 6 with some different accessory mounts and a wierd water pump.

blackhawk
09-03-2006, 12:28 PM

We bought a Weasel with, what we were told, a Studacker engine and has Nodwell conversion track system
Hello Greta and Mike,

I have seen the conversion that you have. We used to run into an occassional Weasel with this setup while out hunting. Far as I could tell, the original running gear including the springs were removed when the Nodwell tires and tracks were installed. You should be able to find people around still using Nordwells and get info on the tracks and running gear. As for the Weasel itself, basically what is left after you exclude the tracks and running gear is a metal hull, Studebaker flathead 6-cyl engine, Warner T86 speed transmission and the differential. The differential is probably the only part that will be new to you if familiar with auto/truck mechanics. As previously mentioned, it has steering bands inside to slow one or both of the tracks. It is the only braking a Weasel has besides engine compression through the low gears. Pull both levers and you have braking action. Pull one and it turns. If the conversion puts more track on the ground than the original, it will steer harder unless they somehow added power assist. But, for one side to steer differently than the other the problem has to be in the brake bands. They may just need adjustment. As I recall, there is an external wingnut type thing on the outside of the case for each band that can be reached via the rear opening. I think you just reach in there and turn the nut to tighten the band a bit. If this doesn't do it, there is problem with the bands like Mr. Richmond indicated.

I sent you some pictures of my Dad's old Weasel with conversion to newer track but it won't help you with the setup you have. He prefered this to the Nodwell conversion because it retained the original springs and I think he liked the boogie setup even if they do require constant maintenance. We used weasels for hunting/fishing, plowing snow and landscaping (with earth scoop or tumble-type scoop pulled behind). Our friends had them too. So, I have driven them hundreds of miles mostly in the back country and, of course, helped with repair and maintenance. I got real good at putting the original tracks back on when one came off. Fortunately, the track conversion eliminated this headache and it was pretty trouble free after that.

I don't have any contacts any more and my dad and his buddies have all passed on. But, I will help where I can. I live in Fairbanks but come to Anchorage periodically to visit family and for work related meetings. By the way, there is a Studebaker Club (local chapter of SDC) in the Anchorage-Palmer area. Those guys may have more current leads on Weasels in your area. I'll see if I can find a contact for you.

Dale

P.S. I posted some photos of the track conversion Dad made on his weasel
http://www.albumtown.com/showalbum.php?aid=71875&uuid=42679

blackhawk
09-03-2006, 12:28 PM

We bought a Weasel with, what we were told, a Studacker engine and has Nodwell conversion track system
Hello Greta and Mike,

I have seen the conversion that you have. We used to run into an occassional Weasel with this setup while out hunting. Far as I could tell, the original running gear including the springs were removed when the Nodwell tires and tracks were installed. You should be able to find people around still using Nordwells and get info on the tracks and running gear. As for the Weasel itself, basically what is left after you exclude the tracks and running gear is a metal hull, Studebaker flathead 6-cyl engine, Warner T86 speed transmission and the differential. The differential is probably the only part that will be new to you if familiar with auto/truck mechanics. As previously mentioned, it has steering bands inside to slow one or both of the tracks. It is the only braking a Weasel has besides engine compression through the low gears. Pull both levers and you have braking action. Pull one and it turns. If the conversion puts more track on the ground than the original, it will steer harder unless they somehow added power assist. But, for one side to steer differently than the other the problem has to be in the brake bands. They may just need adjustment. As I recall, there is an external wingnut type thing on the outside of the case for each band that can be reached via the rear opening. I think you just reach in there and turn the nut to tighten the band a bit. If this doesn't do it, there is problem with the bands like Mr. Richmond indicated.

I sent you some pictures of my Dad's old Weasel with conversion to newer track but it won't help you with the setup you have. He prefered this to the Nodwell conversion because it retained the original springs and I think he liked the boogie setup even if they do require constant maintenance. We used weasels for hunting/fishing, plowing snow and landscaping (with earth scoop or tumble-type scoop pulled behind). Our friends had them too. So, I have driven them hundreds of miles mostly in the back country and, of course, helped with repair and maintenance. I got real good at putting the original tracks back on when one came off. Fortunately, the track conversion eliminated this headache and it was pretty trouble free after that.

I don't have any contacts any more and my dad and his buddies have all passed on. But, I will help where I can. I live in Fairbanks but come to Anchorage periodically to visit family and for work related meetings. By the way, there is a Studebaker Club (local chapter of SDC) in the Anchorage-Palmer area. Those guys may have more current leads on Weasels in your area. I'll see if I can find a contact for you.

Dale

P.S. I posted some photos of the track conversion Dad made on his weasel
http://www.albumtown.com/showalbum.php?aid=71875&uuid=42679