Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your story, on coming to Studebakers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your story, on coming to Studebakers?

I know I know, this has been asked before. However, instead of just telling us the bare essentials, why not make this more of a "intro" thread? How did you come to Studebakers? What are your other interests and passions? Ect.

I'll start off with my story (although some of you already know it). For me, it actually starts a ways back, 4 generations to be exact in my family. My great grandfather (Awesome guy, me and him were really close; and he passed away to meet our Lord at age 100 in 2005.) was a die hard Studebaker guy. The story I hear was that after WW2, he went to his local Chevy dealer, and ordered a brand new Chevy. A couple days later, a guy with "inside" connections at the dealership ordered a new one, and got his first. Slightly peeved (Ok, maybe more than that) he went to the local Studebaker dealer, and drove one right off the lot! After that, he bought a new Studebaker every couple years, with his last one being a '64 Wagonaire (A car someday I'd LOVE to clone!). A couple of his sons followed him in the begining, and my Grandpa got a used '53 Commander 4 door as his first car; with a '59 Silverhawk as his second. After those however, no more have followed, yet that is! My dad was always into old cars, and liked Studebakers because of the family "interest" in them. So, when I was 4 (I remember the details of this too, big event in my life) we went to go get his first Studebaker, a '62 Lark 6 4 door sedan. I have many many many (did I say MANY?) fond memories in that car, and probably influenced my current love (Or is it more of a obsession?) with the marque.

Now, we come to me (woo hoo! I get to brag once in my life! Kidding of course!). When I was young, my grandfather (The same one that had the '59 Silverhawk) told me of his cars, and told me many times of his ultimate dream car; a '56 Power Hawk. Couple those with my dad's Lark, and I couldn't escape the flood of Studebakers. I was always into old cars, but it wasn't until I was 12 or so that I became REALLY into old cars. We had a couple old T.W's laying around the house, as well as a old Newman & Altman catolog, and I just about memorized those. So, my interests shifted to Studebakers; way more than any in my family could have imagined.

The family friend that my dad got his Lark from came over one night, and it's a wonder he didn't go deaf. I had seen his Studebakers before, but the only one I could vaguely remember was his Lark station wagon, and it looked similer to my dad's lark. But, they as a whole, didn't play a huge part in getting me interested, but he himself did. I must have made a impression (Or he was trying to get me to shut up) because a few weeks later; I get something in the mail. He had bought me my first membership to the SDC!!! Not only that, but a little while later, 5!! boxes of past issues of T.W's arrived. I read every single one, no joke. By that time, I'm screwed; there was NO escape now, and I wasn't trying to hard. (They say ignorance is bliss, especially when your 14)

At the time, my dad was going to get a free '63 Wagonaire, via this friend. But, with out me knowing, he told my dad I should end up with the car. When I found out, I was ecstatic! I was going to get my OWN Studebaker! Later on though, things changed. He didn't want me to have that one anymore, he wanted me to have HIS wagon! Yes, this was the same wagon I had seen when I was much younger, and he wanted ME to have it. In September of 2008; a extremely excited 15 year old with out so much as a permit, got to go get my first car with my dad. That trip home was the most amazing thing ever, even if I was in the passenger seat.....

Now, the cars. My car is a ever continueing project, and will probably never ever end. In fact, I plan NOT to let it end, all the frustrations are kinda fun! When I got it, it was all original, save the tires and other stuff. As of now, it has lost some of that originality, but retains much of it all the same. My dad's '62 Lark still survives, and is torn apart thanks to me in a bay of our home shop; getting a much needed cosmetic overhaul. (Most people would have shot it in the head a LOOONGGG time ago, it was really bad) I had mentioned another Studebaker project in the works. To be honest, there is actually 2. One is a '52 Commander 4 door I'm getting with my dad. It's a good runner, and just needs brakes mechanical wise to be a daily driver. It's rust free, and will get a weekend overhaul as a hot rod once it's home. (Very soon I hope). The next one is a '57 Golden Hawk; that all the evidence is pointing to be a true 400 model, but the prototype at that. That story will be told a different time, when I get it fully in my hands.

Ok, hang in a little longer guys, I promise I'm almost done boring you! As I asked you guys earlier, what are some of your other passions and interests? Well, as far as passions go, I love collecting vintage US militaria, with most of my collection being WW2 and back. As well as that, I'm also really into history, and I plan to get a degree in that. I also love guns, and have done 4 and 3 position competitive shooting for almost 8 years now, as well as many hunting excursions. Another new found passion (Courtesy of my work), is I LOVE to teach! Other activities include biking, hiking, ect. You get the idea.

So, as promised, I'll get off my soap box and leave you guys alone. But, what is your story?
    Dylan Wills
    Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
    1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
    1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
    1914 Ford Model T

Thanks Dyan
    Thought there might be some family background. As you are just to young to have fallen into Studebakers without history.
    I am much older, but fell in love with C/K Studebakers when I was 13 (1965) as I walked past a beautiful 53 lowboy hotrod on my way to high school each day.
    Well that was 45 years ago and I have yet to ride in or drive a C/K, but I have two know and am on my way to fulfilling my dream. 56 Power Hawk (29,000 original miles, stored 49 years)and a 61 Hawk (My Wife Sandi's new car, stored past 33 years). Mine will be a full custom and hers will be pretty much stock. My parents were NOT car people, but my mother did have a 50 Bullet nose that I remeber riding in before age 8 and later we did have a 54 C/K that my dad bought at an auction , but I don't think it ran and he new nothing about cars, so I don't remember what happened to it. Think he just used it as a trade in on my mothers new 62 Dodge Dart. (the car I learned to drive on). I have logged over 60,000 miles on my 46 M Shop Truck in the past 7 years and love to travel in it. Can't wait to eat up some pavement with our new C/K's.
    Good Roads
    Brian
    Brian Woods
    woodysrods@shaw.ca
    1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Mine is actually pretty simple... maybe even silly.

My family had no history in cars and being the youngest of 7 children, all I remember is station wagons... and riding in the back. I have always loved old things and used to daydream about those days gone by as a kid. I loved history and loved to read books and look at old pictures. When I hit high school in the late 80's, everyone was buying hot rods... and all I cared about was old cars. I wanted one. I eventually found a old Studebaker I and fell in love immediately... my passion was suicide doors. I thought they were the coolest thing in the world!! Well, that dream was shattered as I didn't have the resources or skills to own an old car as a first car, so that dream was dashed.

I continued to harbor a love for all cars with suicide doors, it is probably coincidence that Studebakers were what I always saw. Eventually, I met a wonderful girl and fell in love when I graduated college. Eventually I learned about the family business and though tthat it was really cool... She took me to the shop one day and showed me her brother's cars... the 40 & 49.... I remember thinking "WOW"...

That was just over 10 years ago... and many times since then I tried to get her brother to sell them to me. The prospect looked very grim until I married her and became a part of the family...

Now, here it is, 5 years later and the cars are mine... with the agreement to "keep at least one in the family". I dream of restoring both, even though my F.I.L claims the 49 is beyond hope... I still don't see that. Anyway, my dream is come true and I have a wonderful family and in-laws! Although, my wife doesn't like that I will be spending time away form her, I see it as time with my F.I.L. and step son, both of whom are very interested in seeing me bring this project to fruition...

Comment

No real family history with Studebaker other than my Dad stating several times over the years that he wish he had kept a Commander he owned years ago. Always loved cars and in the 70's would buy, fix, and sell anything I thought I could make a few dollars on. Then I saw a 37 Plymouth and had to have it. It was already complete and there is nothing to do to it. From there I went to a 1948 IH pickup that was mostly rotted away. I installed a chevy engine and pretty much made a rat rod out of it in the 90's...before "rat rod" was heard of. Moved from MI to KY (got away from the salt-eaten vehicles) and then found Studebakers. The first was a wrecked 62 Lark in a barn that the owner just wanted out of the way and I bought for near nothing. It set for a few years (building a house at the time) but then I got started. More of a "can I fix it" project. I jacked the drivers side out about 8", cut out bad metal, welded in new, welded in braces, and ended up painting it with Rustoluem (low budget project). It actually came out pretty good and I drive it often. A freind told me of an old fellow near Egypt, KY (not making this up) that had a 51 Studebaker 1/2 ton p/u...wnet, looked, bought, drove it home. At this point I am getting hooked on Studebakers. As I learned about Studes I knew the "ultimate" one for me was a 1957 Silver Hawk. On a work related trip took the backroads and had to hit the brakes hard...I saw fins under a shreaded blue tarp behind a barn. Stopped and talked to a guy who was the owner's cousin. Tracked down the cousin, we talked, and I made an offer leaving a phone number. Six months past. Then one afternoon he called...we made the deal and the following Saturday I trailered the SH home. The pick-up is in line to restore once the SH is done. Don't even look at anything other than Studebaker...got that illness the forum mentions. And for me the pleasure is the project...yes, I enjoy driving them, but in the barn working on one is the best part. I can feel bad or come home from work stressed and the Studebaker project is my escape. I guess it is Studebaker Therapy!
        Ray Stewart SDC
        51 pick-up
        57 silver hawk
        62 lark

Comment

Mine is pretty simple also.

In to cars at 16, all GM, I could have been run over by a Studebaker and had no ides what they were. Had to be into car repair, no money to hire it done and had to drive to get to work from High School.

One day about 1959, I walked past a used car lot and saw the best designed car I ever laid eyes on. 1953 Studebaker with an SBC. The dealer would not take less than $75 eventhough it was a rough, no way could I afford that much money,so I had to pass.

Many years later 1990, The kids grown up and in school, and me back building cars for my personal use to maintain my sanity at work. Best Dang stress relief in the world is to go to the polebarn and get the hands and mind busy on cars.

Now I can't shake the memory of the 53 I could not afford. Looked through Hemmings and other sources for a car I can afford and found a rusty 54 with a good frame in SC. Drug it home and the rest is history. It's the black/silver 54K in my signature.

Bob
          Last edited by sweetolbob; 09-22-2010, 05:59 AM.

Comment

My first Stude was a 55 commander Coupe I bought in Elkhart, Indiana in the mid seventies. I would have been about 22. My father was a part-time smuggler of campers from the U.S.into Canada. On one of his trips to camperland, I tagged along and spotted the 55 in a drive way. It was my dream car. $200 and a tow bar got it back to the motel behind my dad's truck. He had already loaded a camper he found and the Stude was attached. Went to bed. Woke up and no dad and no Stude. Two hours later he pulls up to the motel and says we're leavin'! Crossed the border in the wee hours and at the Canadian border promised to DECLARE the Stude at customs when I got back to my home port in Ontario. Drove straight home and when I finally looked in the Stude, Ol' dad had smuggled in 500 pairs of vice grips in my car! He wasn't a very good smuggler and made many enemies. One neighbour dialed the RCMP about the stream of campers being sold in his driveway. When they showed up, the particular camper in the drive way appeared to be homemade with no apparent I.D. tags, so they gave him a warning and he stopped smuggling campers. He almost cost me my first Stude. I have a 55 hardtop, now, and Dad's been gone for years. I don't let it out of my sight, especially if family members are close by (lol).
            Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Good ones! Keep 'em coming!
              Dylan Wills
              Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
              1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
              1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
              1914 Ford Model T

Comment

My first car was a 53 Starliner my parents bought for me from a car lot in Dallas. I have wanted another one all these years and within the next few days, my next one is to be delivered to me from California. I am stoked. I may be as excited as I was in 1961 when we drove the first one home. The engine ran roughly and made a wonderful loping noise with the exhaust dump off at Chesse's drive in in Killeen. The previous owner of the next one seems like a pleasant, bright person. He has already done what I should have done with the first one and that is to install a Chevrolet engine, a four barrel and 200r transmission. I'll send some pictures as I can.

Comment

Ultra simple in my case...my very first car ride was in my Dad's Studebaker when I came home from the hospital after being born (1960)...my Dad never sold it and now it's mine to have fun in. Junior.
                  sigpic
                  1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

I have been interested in Studebakers since I was very young, about 4. Every time I rode by the factory buildings, I saw how huge they were and became fasinated with what they were. I found out that South Bend used to have a car factory, Studebaker, and my interest grew. I started looking deeper into their history. I would also get on the computer and print off pictures of Studebaker I thought were neat and hang them on my wall. Eventually my entire wall was covered! I just got more and more interested in them as time went on. My first visit to the (old) SNM was it, I was hooked. One time at the old SNM, there was a special exhibit in one of the side rooms (I can't remember about what, but I was in 1st grade). Long story short my school took a field trip to see just the "other" exhibit. I eventually found myself away from that exhibit looking at the cars! Then in 2007 I saw my first international meet in South Bend, super hooked... Again, I just got more and more interested as time went on. Surprisingly though, I only first joined the SDC a year ago. Shortly after that I bought my '40. I also helped with the Sasco/SI move, etc. I also became a "collector" for lack of a better term, such as the model N parts in my basement...

Comment

These stories are great, hope they keep coming..

No one in my family had Studes and I heard a lot of jokes about Studes, including the "which way is it going" one . My dad even termed Studes imitation cars. From a young age I was interested in cars. I specifically remember bullet noses at an early age, and thought they were cool, and that they looked different in a good way, than other cars. The later Studes I usually saw were typically sedans...don't remember seeing many C/K's during these years until I noticed Golden Hawks and Silver Hawks. My interest level jumped when I saw an article in Hot Rod magazine about Bonneville cars. I loved the style and the slippery look, so cool. Lived in IL at the time, and rarely saw one that wasn't a real rust bucket. Finally, just before getting greetings from Uncle Sam, found a fairly decent non running Champion '53 C body. Started running down sheet metal and mechanical parts, but had to sell it when got my draft notice. After I got out of the service went on a number of wild goose chases, to find a good body, without luck. Moved to AZ in '83, and thought that I would find a good body fairly easily. Took me 17 years to find a really good body. But found one that had been covered and under a carport, since a minor front end fender bender. The owner had made an effort to build it as a '56. It was pretty much a shell, but the body was absolutely rust free. Found a '55 C body parts car for the front clip among other misc. parts. It isn't done yet, but pretty close. Just love the C/K body styles. And I can fully understand those that love Studes. I will never get rid of mine.

Comment

Long ago, someone told me that 'babes' love Studebakers. I later came to realize that I misunderstood as it is actually 'Bobs' or guys named 'Bob' that love Studebakers. What a disappointment it was to find out later in life that Studebakers don't attract the ladies but instead are Bob magnets....what a shame, those are 25 years of my life that I will never get back.
                        sigpic
                        In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Studebaker BabyStudebaker GeezerStudebaker

Comment

Had no choice, I was born in a 1949 Commander.
                            sigpic

Comment

Posted by Milica
                              I later came to realize that I misunderstood as it is actually 'Bobs' or guys named 'Bob' that love Studebakers. What a disappointment it was to find out later in life that Studebakers don't attract the ladies but instead are Bob magnets.
                              Brent

Well crafted and Darn funny I can't even think of a good comeback.

Just another Bob or Boob as I'm known when I call for tech support.

Comment

Working...
                              X