fuel level senders 1956 to 1962

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel level senders 1956 to 1962

Does anybody have actual experience with installing universal replacement fuel level sending units that go in the tank? My application is a 1962 Hawk, and I suspect in future I may have the "problem" with my 56 hawks and 60 lark, also. All of these use 12 volt, 240 - 33 ohm senders, I believe. Supply of the senders (SP part number 1549575 for all 60-64 cars) from our Studebaker vendors is intermittent. Search of this forum revealed there are possible universal replacement sending units from summitracing.com (part Number ???), jc whitney (part number CM128526), and an Auto Meter (part number 3262?) unit from jegs.com. I just learned NAPA has a complete universal sending unit and gauge system, which I am shortly going to look at. No guesses or "it should work", please.

I did install the one from Summit Racing. It's made by Stewart Warner, and the fulcrum point is up high, like the original, not down low, like on some universal replacement units. So, it's as close as you can get to original in mechanical and electrical function.

Oh, by the way, I have not filled the tank with gas yet, only bench tested the resistance. Therefore, I "guess" that "it should work"

[img=left]http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Avacar-hcsdc.gif[/img=left]DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
    The Red-Headed Amazon
    Deep in the heart of Texas

Paul Simpson
    "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
    The Red-Headed Amazon

Comment

I just bought an NOS one from SASCO for my 64 Hawk at the York swap meet. Why fool around with something that might work when you know the original fits and is designed for your car. Give Dennis a call and see if he has one.

1964 GT Hawk soon to be R2 Clone
      1964 GT Hawk
      PSMCDR 2014
      Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
      PSMCDR 2013
      Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studebaker-R2-4-me

I just bought an NOS one from SASCO for my 64 Hawk at the York swap meet. Why fool around with something that might work when you know the original fits and is designed for your car. Give Dennis a call and see if he has one.

1964 GT Hawk soon to be R2 Clone
        The best reason not to get a NOS fuel sender is that the cork is coated with shellac. Much of today's gasoline is "gasahol", depending on where you live. That alcohol will dissolve the shellac. In fact, if you have ever worked with shellac for wood finishing, you may recall that alcohol IS the carrier/solvent used to "cut the shellac" when you mix it up from dry shellac flakes.

[img=left]http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Avacar-hcsdc.gif[/img=left]DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
        The Red-Headed Amazon

Paul Simpson
        "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
        The Red-Headed Amazon

Comment

Yes, I call Stude suppliers first. I already called Sasco - non available at this time. Also called Phoenix - they're hoping to get a shipment in today 4/20/07. As I said - intermittent supply.

I am a little reluctant to spend top dollar until I am sure the sender is at fault. I may be faced with this problem on 4 cars, so am seeking a permanent solution. The problem still could be the gauge or grounds. Gauge seems ok, but tests made so far (with resistors, voltmeter) aren't definitive. Just finished installing ground wires from gauge flange to body AND frame. Also installed extra ground wires to instrument panel and from frame to body at front of car. At 45 years of age I trust no original ground connection.

Comment

RB ,we have a universal one available at $55.00 plus shipping, they work just fine on 12 volt Studes.Contact me through my profile if interested.
            Frank van Doorn
            Omaha, Ne.
            1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
            1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
            1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

I GOT ONE FROM SUMMIT RACING FOR MY 60 LARK ABOUT A YEAR AGO. IT IS A STEWART WARNER UNIVERSAL REPLACEMENT WITH A PLASTIC FLOAT. IF I REMEBER CORRECTLY IT WAS APPROXIMATELY $30.00, IT WORKS PERFECTLY AND WAS EASY TO INSTALL.
              I SUPPORT USING OUR SDC VENDORS BUT AT APPROX. 1/3 OF THE PRICE AND GETTING THE PLASTIC FLOAT IN LIEU OF THE CORK FLOAT, I HAD TO GO WITH THE ONE FROM SUMMIT RACING.

Studebaker Fever
              60 Lark
              51 Champion
              Phil
              Arnold, Missouri

Studebaker Fever
              60 Lark
              56 Power Hawk
              Phil Hendrickson
              Arnold, Missouri

Comment

Working...