V8 bellhousing bushing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V8 bellhousing bushing

I am rebuilding my 64 GT 289 and 4 speed, just dialed in the bellhousing and now starting to reassemble when I noticed some play in the bellhousing bushing that holds the throwout bearing shaft. It is a thin wall bronze bushing with a 3/4" ID.
    I have tried the local bearing suppliers ,Fastenal Hardware, Studebaker International etc , no luck .
    Does anyone have a source?

Thanks , Mark

If you can't find one you can take the housing and the shaft to a machine shop, they should be able to make one and ream it to fit.

Comment

I just replaced that bushing in my 63 GT 289 4-speed. The 59-64 Chassis Parts Catalog lists #527421. SI has them for $5.50 except their catalog says #527421 is for 40-42 Commander and 41-42 President. It fits. They had to send me a second one because they are so thin that the first one got crushed by another part in the box. They also have the little metal dust cap #524849. Again, SI shows it for 53-58 Commanders only but the chassis parts catalog shows it for all 59-64 models.

The bushing in mine was worn clear through and the new bushing was a bit loose so I put it in with red loctite and assembled with high temp lithium grease. Good as new.

Cliff
      54 Commander Coupe driver
      53 Commander Hardtop project
      SE Washington State

Comment

Cliff, thanks for the info. I will get the parts ordered from SI.

Mark

Comment

Working...
        X