Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Educating the young 'uns....

'Gotta share this:

Titus Transmissions in Avon IN is the shop with an auxiliary Used Car dealer license where I sell the vehicles I have for sale, as an agent. The owner, Chris Schmitt, is a good friend who does a lot of 4-wheeling and drag races 4WD diesel trucks, specializing in Dodge/Cummins. The extended Schmitt family is also involved in diesel drag racing, including his nephew, "Josh."

I was in at Titus today getting caught up after being at The Pure Stock Drags last week, and took a stack of print photos from the event to show Chris. (Ironically, Chris Schmitt attended Danville HS with, and knows, SDCer John Kern, who was at the drags helping his Dad, SDCer Chuck Kern, run their 1963 Avanti.)

Chris' nephew Josh Schmitt, perhaps 21 years old and an active diesel truck drag racer himself, stopped in while I was there. Chris handed the stack of Pure Stock Drags photos to Josh and explained I had been there last week with "the Studebakers."

"Studebakers?" Josh said politely but incredulously, "Studebakers?"

"Yep," replied Chris, "they have some that run in the 12s. 'Lookee here."

So Josh is looking through the photos with his eyes as big as saucers while I answered his questions.

About that time, Josh' cell phone rings. It's just a friend checking in. I couldn't hear the caller's end of the conversation, naturally, but from Josh' comments, the conversation went like this:

Caller: "Whatcha' doing?"

Josh: "I'm at Uncle Chris' shop looking at some All-Stock Drag Race pictures."

Caller: "What's that?"

Josh: "It's a race up in Michigan where you have to run all stock muscle cars."

Caller: "Oh, yeah?"

Josh, "Yeah, and you ain't gonna believe this. This guy and his buddies run Studebakers."

Pause

"Yeah, Studebakers! And I'm tellin' ya', Studebaker had some bad-a** cars. Some of them even run in the 12s on street tires and full exhaust!"

Pause

"No, I'm not kiddin! They had some really b*tchin' cars. You oughta' see these!"

Anyway, it was great fun listening to the conversation....and we now have one more young missionary who knows "the rest of the story." <GGG> BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

That is priceless!!!
    Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

After sitting around collecting dust for several years, I just recently got my Power Hawk back on the road. I took the kids to Steak and Shake the other night for dinner and there were pictures all over the walls of 1950's Steak and Shake Drive Ins with lots of old cars in the photos as well. We are sitting there for a few minutes when out of the blue my 3 year old daughter says "Daddy, that one looks like your Studebaker!" I had to laugh and she got a big kick out of it too. Now she says something about Studebakers several times a day. I'm willing to bet she is the only kid in her pre-school class that has the word Studebaker in their vocabulary.

Comment

Awesome! That's great to hear!

Now, he needs to buy one.......
        Dylan Wills
        Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
        1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
        1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
        1914 Ford Model T

Comment

It always amazes me to hear that there are people in the US that haven't heard of Studebaker, down here I can understand it, but actually in their home country !!!!
          Matt
          Brisbane
          Australia
          sigpic

Visit my Blog: http://www.mattsoilyrag.blogspot.com.au/

Comment

My kids all love our Champion, and they get a kick out of taking their friends along for a ride around town. The word "Studebaker" is more than my littlest, Joe, can say yet, but he loves to spend time "driving the Baker". Studebakers and kids go great together. We just need to give kids a chance to have "hands on" experience with them.

John
            1950 Champion
            W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
            Holdrege NE

Comment

Another item not worth a new topic was one speculation we got on the way to The Pure Stock Drags last Tuesday afternoon, September 14th.

In Ft. Wayne IN at the Speedway gas station at IN 14 and I-469, the cashier, upon looking at The Stude Tomato on my trailer out front, asked it if was a Marlin! (Honest, you can't make these things up.)
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Forgot to mention this in the original post:

When I arrived, Chris was out front on the counter. After I gave Chris the photos to look at, I went into the office to attend to some business, which is actually where I was when Josh came in....but close enough to hear their conversation before I went out and joined them.

As Josh started looking through the pictures, he commented, "Hey, what is this Studebaker doing running a GTO?"

Chris looked at the picture and replied, "Well, it looks like to me he's beating him!"

[Which he was; it was a photo of The Stude Tomato dispatching a 1965 GTO convertible.] <GGG> BP
                Last edited by BobPalma; 09-21-2010, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stevo5671 View Post
                  We are sitting there for a few minutes when out of the blue my 3 year old daughter says "Daddy, that one looks like your Studebaker!" I had to laugh and she got a big kick out of it too.

Now she says something about Studebakers several times a day. I'm willing to bet she is the only kid in her pre-school class that has the word Studebaker in their vocabulary.
                  And she's easily the smartest kid in the class, too, Steve. <GGG> BP

Comment

Working...
                  X