Carter AFB's Info needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carter AFB's Info needed

In my travels yesterday, trying to buy some WIX filters and VR1 oil with ZDDP, I ran into a FLAP's store with a Carter AFB hanging on the wall as a display unit since 1982.

It is a Carter AFB 3721A. It has the gas inlet at the front and the linkage looks pretty close to the Studebaker. The parts guy would be willing to sell it to me. ( he loved my car)

Are all the AFB bases the same? I'd like to use this carburetor for a R1 build that I am planning and acquiring parts for.

Allen
    1964 GT Hawk
    PSMCDR 2014
    Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
    PSMCDR 2013
    Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

I believe that all of the AFB bases are the same. If you decide to use the carburetor, I would bet that the jetting will not be correct for your R1 engine. Be careful with the linkage as it may look like it will work, but sometimes the arm geometry on the carb will not allow the throttle to open all of the way. Bud

Comment

Did a little digging....
      Here's from one website:
      http://www.carburetion.com/Number/oemnumber.asp

64 Corvette 327 300hp 3851761 Man Trans C-4/AFB p/n#3721SB
      64 Corvette 327 300hp 3851761 Man Trans C-4/AFB p/n#3721S/SA
      65 Corvette 327 300hp 3851761 Man Trans C-4/AFB p/n#3721SB

Now.... The suffix changes the application, but this gets you in the ballpark as far as CFM vs CID....
      HTIH
      Jeff
      Last edited by DEEPNHOCK; 09-20-2010, 06:16 AM.
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
        Did a little digging....
        Here's from one website:
        http://www.carburetion.com/Number/oemnumber.asp

64 Corvette 327 300hp 3851761 Man Trans C-4/AFB p/n#3721SB
        64 Corvette 327 300hp 3851761 Man Trans C-4/AFB p/n#3721S/SA
        65 Corvette 327 300hp 3851761 Man Trans C-4/AFB p/n#3721SB

Now.... The suffix changes the application, but this gets you in the ballpark as far as CFM vs CID....
        HTIH
        Jeff
        Yes I did a little digging also and found it was from a '64 Vette. I wonder what it is worth?

BTW Jeff thanks for ALL the information lately.

Allen
        1964 GT Hawk
        PSMCDR 2014
        Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
        PSMCDR 2013
        Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

FWIW, all the carb rebuilders consider the old AFBs to be better carbs than the new Edelbrocks. Tell him, since it is old stock and fully depreciated, he should make you a deal on it. IMHO, it's worth more than the $250 that a new 600CFM Edelbrock costs on sale.

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

Absolutly...what Jack said.

Then put it on e-bay and get 600 bucks for it (if truly OEM, unused !).

Mike

Comment

I bought a AFB on ebay for a cheap $50 BIN not knowing for sure what it was. I bought it because the top doesn't have vent holes like an R2 sealed carb, along with the Stude style side inlet. I never did anything with it because I researched it when I got it and found it was also a Corvett carb. My thoughts were initially to build another Edelbrock/AFB Hybrid for the heck of it.

Long story short ( too late ) if the top of that carb has no vent holes outside of the main opening it might serve as an R2 sealed unit with the addition of a pump seal.

ErnieR

Comment

Working...
              X