Oil Quantity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Quantity

I just installed a rebuilt 259 in my '54 Commander. The engine came with a top mounted "add on" canister oil filter kit. My question is, does this filter device requrie I add more than the required 6 qts oil to the engine. After the engine has been run, the dipstick reads exactly full.

If the dipstick reads full after running the engine, do not add any more oil. The filter should be full if the engine ran and had oil pressure.

Comment

Thanks for the input.

Comment

Originally posted by S2DDriver View Post
        I just installed a rebuilt 259 in my '54 Commander. The engine came with a top mounted "add on" canister oil filter kit. My question is, does this filter device require I add more than the required 6 qts oil to the engine. After the engine has been run, the dipstick reads exactly full.
        Yes it does require more than the required 5 quarts!
        1956 to 1964 Studebaker V-8 engines hold 5 Quarts in the crankcase and you add one for the optional filter, to make a total of Six, except the 1951 to 1955 engines which hold 6 Quarts in the crankcase and require that you add one, if there is a filter for a total of 7 Quarts.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
        X