Chop or Not to Chop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chop or Not to Chop?

Well after I thought I had made the decision to Not chop my 56 coupe, I started talking to fellow Studebaker builders and now I am back to indicision??? I know you purists may not like this topic and you need not comment. As I am already customizing this car, not restoring it as I am with my wifes 61 Hawk. So the "Question "here is "Just How Far to go?"
    I would really like to see more pictures and get imput from those who have a chopped coupe or have chopped a coupe. Jared and Alan have got me started down the path again!
    Let's Talk....thats why I am on the forum. Please let me pick your brains.
    Brian
    Brian Woods
    woodysrods@shaw.ca
    1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Coupes are a lot tougher than hardtops.
    I would suggest a pie slice in front of the back window to rotate the roof assembly down toward the front.
    Just enough of a chop to make the window bottom and roof belt line match (parallel).
    Free up the windshield surround from the roof and slide the whole windshield opening forward at the base (hinging at the top centerpoint of the roof to windshield frame..
    That way the front and back glass does not need to be cut and all your fidget time will be with the coupe door posts and the rear quarter windows.
    The 'fill work' you will need to do the the top outer windshield frame area will be partially hidden by the drip rail.
    I've always brainstormed about rotating the quarter widows 90 degree's to shorten up the height.
    I have some shots of a coupe chop in progress somewhere.
    I'll try to look them up and post them.
    Jeff
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by woodysrods View Post
      Let's Talk....thats why I am on the forum. Please let me pick your brains.
      Hey Brian…love it when someone else solicits opinions on forum, always gives us that don’t have the talent/cash/time to share our ideas. Are you holding to your original plan to go with Bonneville type wheels and dark green paint? If you are, and you’re thinking about going to the time and trouble to chop…then go all the way and make the car look like you wanted the lid lowered, don’t do the typical ‘gentleman’s chop’. The gentle man’s chop was originally done to give the c/k’s the proportions that many felt the car should have come from the factory with. In your case, I keep envisioning this ‘speedracer’ look for the street. This would entail lowering the lid enough so there is no doubt that it has been chopped. I’m not suggesting something so radical that it looks stupid or is not practical for a street driven car, just a look that says ‘yeah, this car is chopped…any questions?’ With the 53 front clip, dark color, speedy looking chrome wheels, low low low stance, stock (but shaved) chrome bumpers, and those sharp abbreviated Golden Hawk finlets, the car will have an awesome long-low-lean and fast look to it. Wish I could render what’s in my brain but my artistic skills just aren’t there.
      Bottom line…easy and fast job to chop???.., not a chance, but if you’re going to do it, make it obvious. Just a few thoughts…regards, Junior
      sigpic
      1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Thanks Junior
        Yes, I have not deviated much from my original plan. But, I am thinking the other direction from what you are suggesting. I am thinking along the lines of the old joke "You chopped it how much? 3/8"???? But not quite that little. And I too think the front winsheild should be slid down whhen you chop one of these, but that really opens up a whole new can of worms. I would like to chop it just enough that people will notice that there is something different about the car from all the others, but they just can't quite put there finger on it.
        I have just been next door to my two neighbours (both gearheads) discussing the pros & cons of putting a 200 4R in Sandi's hawk in place of the stock 2 speed Borg Warner.
        Trying to keep two projects in the air and in my head at one time is becoming difficult.
        Thanks
        Brian
        Brian Woods
        woodysrods@shaw.ca

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
          Coupes are a lot tougher than hardtops.
          I have some shots of a coupe chop in progress somewhere.
          I'll try to look them up and post them.
          Jeff
          Thanks Jeff
          I would love any picture you can come up with of "Coupe" chops
          Jared sent me pictures of his todate, but he has not tackled the doors yet.
          Brian
          Brian Woods
          woodysrods@shaw.ca

Comment

oops...about 3" too much...
            Attached Files
            sigpic
            1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Originally posted by junior View Post
              oops...about 3" too much...
              Yes! This is one of the cars I hClick image for larger version

Name:	IM001174[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	1663436ave in my extensive Studebaker Album. It is one I don't particularily like because I too think it is over chopped. I like this one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IM001173[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	1663435
              Lower this car a minimum of 3" and get some rake into it, and maybe a little more tire on the rear and it would be GREAT!

I am still having trouble grabbing pictures for my posts. They just seem to land willy nilly.
              Brian
              Last edited by woodysrods; 09-19-2010, 05:05 PM.
              Brian Woods
              woodysrods@shaw.ca

Comment

CUSTOM RODDER magazine had a great how-to article on the "gentleman's chop." Sorry, don't have the issue, but I think it was soon after the publication started. (I think. Early to mid '90's?)
                KURTRUK
                (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

That was on a hardtop, IIRC

Originally posted by kurtruk View Post
                  CUSTOM RODDER magazine had a great how-to article on the "gentleman's chop." Sorry, don't have the issue, but I think it was soon after the publication started. (I think. Early to mid '90's?)
                  HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                    That was on a hardtop, IIRC
                    Yes, I think you're right.
                    KURTRUK
                    (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by kurtruk View Post
                      Yes, I think you're right.
                      Yes, Spring 91. Have that artical....Hardtop!
                      Brian
                      Brian Woods
                      woodysrods@shaw.ca

Comment

Jeff if you are still there. I went out and looked at the front winsheild for about 1/2 an hour this afternoon. Wow! It would be a program to cut the cowl below the windsheild and slide it down. The old domino effect would really start to take place ....inside the car is the major concern???
                        Brian
                        Brian Woods
                        woodysrods@shaw.ca

Comment

Brian, I was going to post a few pictures of my 53 coupe but you already have them, it is chopped only 2" in the front, what they call the gentleman chop, even at that it is a lot of work and can cost tons of money, past owner did this one and he was a very good body man he still paid some one to do the rough pie cuts in the rear and bring it down the 2", once that was done he took it back and did the rest, went through 3 windshields before getting one cut that did not crack, I love the car it has a r-3 clone style engine with a 4 speed and 373 tt rear end, disk rears and sway bar and traction bars stock Studebaker style, the car is lower than it looks in the pictures.
                          Last edited by candbstudebakers; 09-20-2010, 07:11 AM.
                          Candbstudebakers
                          Castro Valley,
                          California

Comment

Thanks Bob
                            I knew the car was yours and I was waiting for you to respond. I added it to my album off one of your other posts. Do you have more pictures of the car that you could post or send to me directly?
                            Thanks
                            Brian
                            Brian Woods
                            woodysrods@shaw.ca

Comment

Here's a shot of my Starliner that I chopped using the info in the Custom Rodder article. The basic procedure is not that difficult, but the devil is in the details. Pat Dilling has a coupe with the same chop, and my have some insights for you.

Steve Hudson
                              The Dalles, Oregon
                              1949 \"GMOBaker\" 1-T Dually (workhorse)
                              1953 Commander Convertible (show & go)
                              1953 "Studacudallac" (project)

Comment

Working...
                              X