PROTOCOL Power Window Kits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PROTOCOL Power Window Kits

Anyone have any experience with PROTOCOL Power window kits, application is advertised for Avanti II. Currently listed
    on Ebay.

Originally posted by jallen View Post
    Anyone have any experience with PROTOCOL Power window kits, application is advertised for Avanti II. Currently listed
    on Ebay.
    I will assume that you mean the total replacement lift kit not the type that just work on a window crank, which you probably don't have.

The units themself work just fine in most applications. The problem with these kits in Studebakers is the door height is not sufficient to provide room to raise and lower the window completely and have room for the lift system and drive. That is even the problem with the motors that drive the lift mechanism through a flexible drive. I had that trouble with the 54K and the Avanti II setting next to it doesn't look any easier. I used Mazda window lifts in the 54 but it takes a lot of modification.

After all that - Measure the total height you have to work with and the lift required and see if the units will fit and lift in that space. My bet is they don't as I looked at a lot of lifts for the 54. You didn't post a link and I'm too lazy to scour Ebay but, in general, it is difficult to find an inexpensive electric lift for Studes.

There is a company that make scissor style lifts that will fit C/K bodies and might work on an Avanti but they are expensive. But if you need 'em they may be cheap at twice the price.

Bob

Comment

What electric lift kits, expensive or otherwise have been found to work in a C-K without a lot of modification? Basically, are there any kits that are engineered to fit?

Comment

Originally posted by 31Streetrod View Post
        What electric lift kits, expensive or otherwise have been found to work in a C-K without a lot of modification? Basically, are there any kits that are engineered to fit?
        Not to steal anyones thunder here is the previous discussion on NU relic windows

Bob

Comment

Thanks for the information Bob.

Comment

Hi Jim
            It was nice to meet you at Bellingham.
            Please post up some pictures of your project.
            Brian
            Brian Woods
            woodysrods@shaw.ca
            1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Thanks Brian, it was a pleasure to meet you and your wife. Glad we could all attend, sorry I couldn't stay longer. Will post when I master the technology.
              Back to the topic, NU - RELICS lists a kit for 49 -57 Studebakers, about $500.00, will get more info Monday. I know Dan Giblin was working on a Ford
              power window set up, trying to make it work in an Avanti, but I haven't seen any further posts from Dan. Can't get any results from a search.

Comment

Jim
                I used Ford power window mechanisms behind those panels in my M to raise and lower the lid electrically. They have an arm drive, very mechanical. The power windows I have been using for years here at the shop are "Hyundi Stellar" rear window mechanisms. Simple, compact, cheap, and very easy to adapt to almost anything.
                Good Roads
                Brian
                Last edited by woodysrods; 09-19-2010, 09:12 PM.
                Brian Woods
                woodysrods@shaw.ca

Comment

I do not know how good they are, but Slick Street Stuff has a listing for power windows for C/K

Comment

Hi Jim
                    Just got your phone message. Sent you a PM with more info on the power windows from late 80's Hyundai Stellar. (1987 Rear).
                    Brian
                    Brian Woods
                    woodysrods@shaw.ca

Comment

Working...
                    X