Indy car grille fabrication: Part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indy car grille fabrication: Part 2

I've been welding, grinding, dolly & hammering, and filing on all of the welds on the grille shell for the Indy car replica. It's coming together after having been cut in 5 pieces and re-formed. It's almost smooth enough to go to the plater - but not yet!

At the bottom of the grille is a decorative rosette around the crank hole. Yes, Virginia, the car was set up to be cranked by hand, but I think it would have taken an ox to turn over one of those huge straight 8s. Anyway, the hole is there and an embossed ring about 4 inches in diameter surrounded it. The rosette was attached to the shell, rather than being formed into the shell.

Note that the grille has a 120 degree Vee at the bottom. I thought long and hard about how to make the rosette, finally decided to make an aluminum die and "hydroform" it with a urethane rubber pad in a pipe on my shop press. I turned a big hunk of aluminum flat, then cut two half-round grooves in it. I got a 3-inch long piece of 4-inch schedule 40 pipe and a 4-inch slug of steel for a pusher. I cut some 4-inch pads from 55, 80, and 95 durometer 1/2-inch sheet. When put under pressure, the urethane - and many types of rubber - behave like hydraulic fluid in a bag and create uniform pressure. I also got some thin brass sheet to use for the part. The stack inside the pipe consisted of the die at the bottom, a 4-inch disk of brass sheet, a urethane pad, and the thick steel pusher. The pipe keeps the urethane from squeezing out the edges. My little 12 ton shop press started the forming process, but eventually I had to take it into work and push it with their 35 ton press to get all the detail. Here's how it looked when I got it pressed.

Then I needed to bend it to fit the Vee, so I welded a piece of 2x2 inch angle iron to a short piece of 1-inch pipe to use for a press brake. The angle iron comes with a nice radius on the edges, rather than sharp corners. I put a big piece of rubber pad under the brass part and slowly built up the pressure until I got about the right angle. If you don't have a brake at home, this seems to be a pretty easy way to make one. I tried bending some 16 gauge (.060") steel with it - no problem.

I also got the ribs back from the local sheet metal shop. They used their big press brake to form some 26 gauge (.016") steel sheet into a tight U, put in a 3/16-inch steel rod, and pinched around the rod, then pulled the rod out. That left a round bead on the edge and a 1-inch deep web to keep the ribs stiff. Once I get ribs welded in, and the last of the lumps and bumps out of the shell, then it can go to plating. The rosette will get plated separately and get attached with some studs that I'll hard solder to the back side.

Now, has anyone got a nice 1.25-inch diameter grille badge from the circa 1930 period that looks like the one at the top of the page? There a many larger ones on Ebay, but I can't find a small one in good shape.

And while you are shaking your head as you read this, remember: Anything worth doing is worth overdoing!
    Gary Ash
    Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
    ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
    '48 M5
    '65 Wagonaire Commander
    '63 Wagonaire Standard
    web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Amazing, Gary.

I can't imagine it being much easier for the guys who engineered every piece in the first place.

Comment

Gary, very nice work. John Shannahan has said to say "hello" as he is impressed with your build as well.
      Jim
      Often in error, never in doubt
      http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

Well done, Gary - keep up the fine work.
        The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Wow!....very few people who see this car in the future will have any real appreciation for the craftsmanship involved.
          "In the heart of Arkansas."
          Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

You deserve some kind of medal, Gary, but I'm not sure which one of many. Wonderful work requiring the patience of Job. Congrats. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Wow, that is pure art coming together! I'm going to have to try that pressing technique sometime, looks like fun!
              Dylan Wills
              Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
              1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
              1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
              1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Gary, you're having 'way too much fun for one person, get someone else involved, too. Spread it around. What you are doing is nothing less than spectacular.

Comment

Tom, there are MANY people that are involved in this project, nearly all of them willingly. The guys that own - and race - the original cars have been especially open and free with information and support. I've got people who have offered help from Europe and South America, as well. Would you believe that there are TWO companies in Argentina that can make an aluminum body for me from existing tooling and they can make the wire wheels? I even asked the guys from South Africa that are driving the '29 President in the Peking-Paris race to keep an eye open in Zaire for the engine from the original car that was wrecked there and had its engine transplanted to a 1928 sedan. I very much appreciate any advice and help I can get. Thanks for the encouragement.

Now, my wife claims to be also VERY involved, but she says she'd rather know I was only a few feet away in the garage than off on some golf course for hours. Of course, she's waiting for her turn to drive the Indy car.
                  Gary Ash
                  Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
                  ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
                  '48 M5
                  '65 Wagonaire Commander
                  '63 Wagonaire Standard
                  web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

Gary, any updates on the grille shell?
                    Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Rhode Island, '16 !!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X