thread sealer for E10 gas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thread sealer for E10 gas

Earleir in the year when my carburation fiasco was in full force, one thing I tried was to drain all of the E10 out and find some 100% gas..which was not easy to find, nor did it fix the problem. So I am back to E10.

When I reinstalled the bung in the bottom of the tank, I used a bit of Permtex #3...it's *supposed* to be gasolene resistant. It must not be E10 resistant. Until ths weekend, the tank has been leak free, but Monday I opened the garage door and there was a strong smell of gas. A quick peek at the tank confirmed that there was a slow drip from the fuel tank bung. Everywhere else is dry.

So what thread sealer is E10 proof?
    Last edited by Ron Dame; 09-14-2010, 09:09 AM.
    Ron Dame
    '63 Champ

Originally posted by Ron Dame View Post
    Earleir in the year when my carburation fiasco was in full force, one thing I tried was to drain all of the E10 out and find some 100% gas..which was not easy to find, nor did it fix the problem. So I am back to E10.

When I reinstalled the bung in the bottom of the tank, I used a bit of Permtex #2...it's *supposed* to be gasolene resistant. It must not be E10 resistant. Until ths weekend, the tank has been leak free, but Monday I opened the garage door and there was a strong smell of gas. A quick peek at the tank confirmed that there was a slow drip from the fuel tank bung. Everywhere else is dry.

So what thread sealer is E10 proof?
    I've been using Permatex High-Performance Thread Sealer with good results. Comes in a larger white squeeze tube with the blue lettering (not the more common high-temperature thread sealant with the red lettering), and is good on stainless fittings, too.

Comment

Originally posted by jdmavanti View Post
      I've been using Permatex High-Performance Thread Sealer with good results. Comes in a larger white squeeze tube with the blue lettering (not the more common high-temperature thread sealant with the red lettering), and is good on stainless fittings, too.

http://www.permatex.com/products/Aut...ad_Sealant.htm
      Thanks. I noticed it has PTFE (teflon) which I thought was a non-no for fuel..maybe just teflon tape. I do see they list fuel fittings as an application.
      Ron Dame
      '63 Champ

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Dame View Post
        Thanks. I noticed it has PTFE (teflon) which I thought was a non-no for fuel..maybe just teflon tape. I do see they list fuel fittings as an application.
        The research I did indicated that PTFE was a common component in thread sealers used in fuel systems. If you have trouble with the Permatex Hi-Perf thread sealer, you might try Gasolia E-Seal (http://www.gasoila.com/support/seala...enceguide.html) which is specifically made for E-10 to E-85 gasoline applications. I've never used this stuff, but it is spec'd for gas station installations.

Comment

For my two cents -

Teflon tape is usless.

Not only does it get into places where you don't want it (I've seen "experts" find their tape in fuel filters), it also does NOT seal in the locations where it needs to.
          Years ago, a plumer I was talking to showed me why he does not use tape. It was very telling.
          Quick experiment, do your best job of putting teflon tape on a thread (straight or pipe), then assemble the joint. Then take the joint apart...notice where the tape fragments have moved to.
          He does though use teflon paste.

I can't help much as to what to use as I haven't had the problem you are having.

Good luck.

Mike

Comment

Early in the build of the 83 Avanti, I used Dexcool antifreeze due to the high Aluminum content of the engine. I experienced a lot of leakage on the manifold pipe plugs with My favorite Permatex #2. Switched to the Teflon paste and have had no leakage issues since.

I do continue to recommend Permatex #2 for gas and oil and used it to seal all the threaded fittings on the fuel system I just installed. Try to wipe Permatex off with gas after a while and it's no-go.

I, like Mike have never had a problem with Permatex used to seal gas and oil. If sealing continues to be an issue, check to see if the pipe plug is steel. It may have enough corrosion/deformation to be difficult to seal. If so, the solution is a brass plug. In any case, that may be the solution even if the current plug is brass.

Bob

Comment

There is a bit of a "trick" to using teflon tape.
              The reason that fragments are found in the fuel fillters/carb is that the applied tape was wrapped past the end thread and was sheared off during installation.
              Teflon is impervious to gasoline otherwise the sheared fragments would just dissolve.
              Teflon will "cold flow" under pressure and migrates to where there is a space--- the bottom of the thread. It seals the space.
              Another mistake is putting the tape on in a counterclockwise direction and peeling it off somewhat as the fitting is screwed on.
              I hold the fitting in my left hand and wrap the tape over the top with the right. Simulating screwing it in. (Clockwise to the end of the fitting.)
              I have not had any problems with the tape after using the technique. I was an instrument tech for 23 years so this isn't a small data sample.

For steam pipe with black iron we used both the tape and then the paste over that on the same fitting.
              Last edited by Lark Parker; 09-15-2010, 09:13 AM. Reason: Addtional line
              sigpic
              Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

Comment

Originally posted by Lark Parker View Post
                There is a bit of a "trick" to using teflon tape.
                The reason that fragments are found in the fuel fillters/carb is that the applied tape was wrapped past the end thread and was sheared off during installation.
                Teflon is impervious to gasoline otherwise the sheared fragments would just dissolve.
                Teflon will "cold flow" under pressure and migrates to where there is a space--- the bottom of the thread. It seals the space.
                Another mistake is putting the tape on in a counterclockwise direction and peeling it off somewhat as the fitting is screwed on.
                I hold the fitting in my left hand and wrap the tape over the top with the right. Simulating screwing it in. (Clockwise to the end of the fitting.)
                I have not had any problems with the tape after using the technique. I was an instrument tech for 23 years so this isn't a small data sample.

For steam pipe with black iron we used both the tape and then the paste over that on the same fitting.
                You really hit the proverbial "nail on the head" here. I spent years selling high dollar air tools, spray guns, and automated finishing systems (many with complex air logic controls). Several times I made lengthy trips in the middle of the night to a plant complaining of inoperable equipment, only to find where some maintenance technician had cut off a critical air signal by miss-applying teflon tape. It is great stuff properly applied. For small fittings, you can get 1/8" width tape. If that is not available, the 1/4" tape splits neatly in a linear fashion with a little skilled finger dexterity.
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jdmavanti View Post

http://www.permatex.com/products/Aut...ad_Sealant.htm
                  Well hells ^%*ing bells... The Permatex #3 won't hold up to E10, but still managed to glue the darned plug in to the point I rounded the hex hole in it. So after finding a brass replacement I went to Vise Grips to try and remove it, and ended rounding the whole dadgummed thing up to where NOTHING is gonna get it out. I guess I'll drive the truck until it's empty, drop it, and drill the old plug out. GGGGrrrrr....
                  Ron Dame
                  '63 Champ

Comment

Working...
                  X