Excalibur Roadster article

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excalibur Roadster article

Here's an article about a second generation Excalibur based on models from the early 1960s. Some things have obviously been changed. I wish this could be an honorary Studebaker.

Last edited by Scott; 09-13-2010, 01:59 PM.
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Is that what Bob Shaw was up to before he started moderating our humble Forum?
    KURTRUK
    (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Cool looking car. Although none of his sportiest designs became Studebakers, I'm glad that Brooks Stephens brought about some nice designs for our favorite marque.
      sigpic
      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

For some of us, the Series 1's (1965-1969--Stude chasses) ARE honorary Studebakers!!! The "X" would not have come about had not Stude (via Egbert, then his successor) provided both the initial impetus and later the chassis to make the "Studebaker SS" prototype happen. The rest, as they say, is history and well documented elsewhere; especially recommended is B. Stevens' presentation to the 1964 meeting of the SAE, original printings of which can sometimes be found for sale online.

Everytime I grease or work on my 1966 SSK (apart from the Vette engine & tranny) I grin because it's like once more greeting a dear, OLD friend. ;-)

Comment

I want one of THOSE!! Power steering and automatic transmission?! I don't think so. Well, I just found my lottery ticket goal, I guess...not that I play the lottery.

Comment

LeoH, I abhor automatics, but got a Series 1 X intentionally with auto because it is the only way to have any left foot room AT ALL!! And, I have relatively small feet. To give you some idea if you've never looked at one, the clutch and brake pedals are those used in the Avanti, only mounted VERTICALLY instead of horizontally, hehehe, because of limited space!!!
            Last edited by Xcalibur; 06-21-2013, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Ah, well there you go, I'm sure the Hawk Roadster will have more foot room than the Excalibur! One more plus for that car!

Comment

But, hardly the same sort of car, essentially sharing little more than perhaps common inspiration. Btw, inadequate room for a proper clutch pedal is my only "gripe" with the Series 1 X... but, with the automatic, even that's okay... and, at least they're attainable.
                Last edited by Xcalibur; 06-21-2013, 06:48 PM.

Comment

They're both special vehicles. Enjoy having a unique history piece.

Not to diminish your ride, but really, all of our cars are history pieces!

Comment

Huh? Sorry, I don't understand... your comment seems self-contradictory... your cars are "history pieces" (whatever that means) and a '66 X isn't... or it is ("Enjoy having a unique history piece")? Doesn't matter, of course, just a confusing (at least to me) reply, LeoH. Thanks, though.

"They're both special vehicles. Enjoy having a unique history piece.

Not to diminish your ride, but really, all of our cars are history pieces!"

Btw, had I understood the ideosyncratic use of the term "second generation Excalibur" in the initial post for this thread (which I at first thought referred to Series 2 production Xs), and not one-off prototypes, I'd not have replied here at all. It wasn't until some posts later I realized we were talking about arnages and opples. All the best!!!
                    Last edited by Xcalibur; 06-25-2013, 09:00 AM.

Comment

Well, what I meant was, although you have a unique vehicle period, all Studebakers are also special. Maybe piece of history, instead of history piece?

Comment

Maybe I am confused by this post but isn't there an exisiting class for Excalibur at the Studebaker International Meet?

Comment

Originally posted by StudeMichael View Post
                          Maybe I am confused by this post but isn't there an exisiting class for Excalibur at the Studebaker International Meet?
                          If so, why? I thought only the prototype had a Studebaker engine. And at the risk of offending very late model (2000- on) Avanti owners, I wonder why there is a class for them at the SDC meets...no Studebaker style body (unlike the 66-89s) and certainly no Stude engine.
                          63 Avanti R1 2788
                          1914 Stutz Bearcat
                          (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

I own a 2002 Avanti, and am not offended...we're all entitled to how we feel. I take no offense. Essentially the '01-'04 cars are re-bodied Firebirds ( a few other changes are there) and '05-'07 models are re-bodied Mustangs (again, with other modifications). But we can say the same about '87-'91 Avantis...aren't they built on non-Studebaker GM frames with a custom body and interior? Does not the same criticism go for them? To me they're all genuine Avantis. The 2000 series were designed by Tom Kellogg who was part of Loewy's original design team, so the same family DNA is there.

There's lots of Studebaker Avantis (and other Studebakers) with small block Chevy (and other) engines in them...are they no longer considered Studebakers? They have their own class in SDC events just like Avantis are classed by generations. It's all about perception and being open to accept all with the interest.

Remember...the super popular Ford Mustang at its heart was still a Ford Falcon...same parent, but based on the same basic platform nonetheless.
                            Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

I don't want to hijack the thread (probably too late for that) but I considered your points before I posted (what a concept! ). At least the 87-89 cars still have the basic Avanti body...designed for Studebaker (and I'd guess that some of the body panels are interchangeable...but I might be wrong). To me the Firebird and Mustang-based cars only share the name and a few design cues.
                              63 Avanti R1 2788
                              1914 Stutz Bearcat
                              (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Working...
                              X