PDA

View Full Version : Power steering fluid 1965-1966?

Scott
04-18-2007, 12:18 PM
I've asked one person this question and he said to use regular power steering fluid in 1965-1966 pumps. I was wondering what other people say. Should I use the clear power steering fuid or should I use Dexron in this unit? I don't know what is in it now. This is a V8 car. The pump has a small cap about 2 inches in diameter.

gordr
04-18-2007, 01:27 PM
Scott, as far as I know, you'd be perfectly safe in using Dexron III ATF in your power steering pump. I believe there may have been a dedicated P.S. fluid available back then, but ATF was permitted for top-up purposes, and ATF is all I've ever used in the older Eaton pumps.
I've also heard of people using a little motor oil to quiet a noisy pump. I'd say the only fluids to absolutely NOT use would be any kind of brake fluid, or anti-freeze.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

41 Frank
04-18-2007, 04:24 PM
Even though the P/S pumps on the 65 and 66 cars were not Eatons, they were sourced from GM just like the engines cause they look just like the pumps on GM cars of that era. The book states to use type A automatic transmission fluid which means you would use Dextron on them nowadays.

Scott
04-18-2007, 10:17 PM
Thanks. It's interesting that more than one thing might work. I'll plan on putting Dexron in it. IF it turn out there's already regular clear fluid in it is there a problem if it mixes with Dexron?

41 Frank
04-19-2007, 08:08 AM
I would suggest you drain it out if it does since there is no way to know for sure what it is.

quote:Originally posted by Scott

Thanks. It's interesting that more than one thing might work. I'll plan on putting Dexron in it. IF it turn out there's already regular clear fluid in it is there a problem if it mixes with Dexron?