Best place to get windshield?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best place to get windshield?

Our late snow last weekend caused a couple small rock chips to develop into two major cracks across my line of vision on the windshield of my '53 Commander coupe. So it's time for a windshield.

Anyone have any experience with a particular vendor - good or bad?

They're advertised on eBay for $300 + shipping ($90-125) & then I'll need to have it installed (I do most all of my own work, but interiors & glass are two places I shy away from).

Just wondering what other options are out there...didn't see anything specific in TW

Daddy always said, if yer gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough & I'm one tough sumbitch!
    -------------------
    Daddy always said, if yer gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough & I\'m one tough sumbiatch!

Might try 1 of these 2 vendors that Dick Steinkamp provided
    off and this earlier thread:

Hope it helps

glen Brose
    Between Perkinsville
    and Chino Valley AZ.

Comment

Might try 1 of these 2 vendors that Dick Steinkamp provided
      off and this earlier thread:

Hope it helps

glen Brose
      Between Perkinsville
      and Chino Valley AZ.

Comment

I caught a rock in the windshield of my '54 K last year. The glass shop that my insurance company sent me to took care of it turn key. I offered to help them source a windshield, but they said no prob. They had a new one in a couple of days and did an excellent job of installing it.

If the car is insured, let your insurance company take care of it.

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

I caught a rock in the windshield of my '54 K last year. The glass shop that my insurance company sent me to took care of it turn key. I offered to help them source a windshield, but they said no prob. They had a new one in a couple of days and did an excellent job of installing it.

If the car is insured, let your insurance company take care of it.

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

I bought two windshields from Champ and when the shippers broke them they really went a long way to get them to me. A long and protracted process. The owner is an active SDC member.
            Rob

Comment

I bought two windshields from Champ and when the shippers broke them they really went a long way to get them to me. A long and protracted process. The owner is an active SDC member.
              Rob

Comment

Your local glass shop is always a good place to start. The windshields all come from the same one or two manufacturers, and a local shop should be able to locate. You might check with your ins Agent for recommendations and as Dick said, if you have comp coverage with a low enough deductble, let them take care of it.

Steve Hudson
                The Dalles, Oregon
                1937 Dictator Streetrod
                1949 "GMOBaker" 1-T Dually
                1953 Commander Convertible
                1954 Champion Coupe

Steve Hudson
                The Dalles, Oregon
                1949 \"GMOBaker\" 1-T Dually (workhorse)
                1953 Commander Convertible (show & go)
                1953 "Studacudallac" (project)

Comment

Your local glass shop is always a good place to start. The windshields all come from the same one or two manufacturers, and a local shop should be able to locate. You might check with your ins Agent for recommendations and as Dick said, if you have comp coverage with a low enough deductble, let them take care of it.

Steve Hudson
                  The Dalles, Oregon
                  1937 Dictator Streetrod
                  1949 "GMOBaker" 1-T Dually
                  1953 Commander Convertible
                  1954 Champion Coupe

Steve Hudson
                  The Dalles, Oregon
                  1949 \"GMOBaker\" 1-T Dually (workhorse)
                  1953 Commander Convertible (show & go)
                  1953 "Studacudallac" (project)

Comment

Thanks for the tips, everyone.

Sadly, liability only as I haven't found a collector-car insurance that doesn't have restrictions & I drive mine daily, not necessarily garaged, is left unattended in parking lots, & more than 2K miles per year!

But my insurance does have a good glass program - at least it's a place to start...

Daddy always said, if yer gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough & I'm one tough sumbitch!
                    -------------------
                    Daddy always said, if yer gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough & I\'m one tough sumbiatch!

Comment

Sadly, liability only as I haven't found a collector-car insurance that doesn't have restrictions & I drive mine daily, not necessarily garaged, is left unattended in parking lots, & more than 2K miles per year!

But my insurance does have a good glass program - at least it's a place to start...

-------------------

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Flat Ernie

Sadly, liability only as I haven't found a collector-car insurance that doesn't have restrictions
                        Try Grundy. I have my cars with them. The only restrictions are that it isn't your primary means of transportation, no driver under age 25, no use for hire, and that you don't race it. No mileage limit. It's "agreed value" insurance. I just raised the GT Hawk to $20,000 no problem...no appraisal. They just wanted a few email pictures to make sure it is a high book car.

If you do use it as your primary means of transportation, it's logical that a collector car insurance company can't insure it. Collector car insurance is dirt cheap, but they count on it being in the garage most of the time [^]

Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Flat Ernie

Sadly, liability only as I haven't found a collector-car insurance that doesn't have restrictions
                          Try Grundy. I have my cars with them. The only restrictions are that it isn't your primary means of transportation, no driver under age 25, no use for hire, and that you don't race it. No mileage limit. It's "agreed value" insurance. I just raised the GT Hawk to $20,000 no problem...no appraisal. They just wanted a few email pictures to make sure it is a high book car.

If you do use it as your primary means of transportation, it's logical that a collector car insurance company can't insure it. Collector car insurance is dirt cheap, but they count on it being in the garage most of the time [^]

Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Well, it is my daily - actually shares daily duties with my '40, but neither are in a garage usually. That may change when I get my addition built - 28x40! Of course, my junk will expand to fill any size garage I build!

Insurance of any type is a compromise between risk assumed by the company & how much you're willing to pay in premiums. Many of the collector car insurance companies virtually eliminate any possible risk & really think you should only ever drive your old car on sundays to a show or in a parade then bring it back home immediately to keep it safe inside your garage...

I don't need "collector" car insurance, I just need insurance that recognizes the value of my car & will pay out should the unthinkable happen. I don't care what it's called! Call it the "stupid people who drive old cars" policy for all I care! haha!

I drive my old cars. All of 'em. Daily. I don't have a modern car (well, my wife does). Soooo - liabiltiy only for right now...

But, I have heard State Farm will do agreed value policies on older cars used as daily transportation with generous discounts if you have more than one (since you can only drive one at a time) & no restrictions. Haven't checked into it yet, but will soon...

-------------------

Comment

Well, it is my daily - actually shares daily duties with my '40, but neither are in a garage usually. That may change when I get my addition built - 28x40! Of course, my junk will expand to fill any size garage I build!

Insurance of any type is a compromise between risk assumed by the company & how much you're willing to pay in premiums. Many of the collector car insurance companies virtually eliminate any possible risk & really think you should only ever drive your old car on sundays to a show or in a parade then bring it back home immediately to keep it safe inside your garage...

I don't need "collector" car insurance, I just need insurance that recognizes the value of my car & will pay out should the unthinkable happen. I don't care what it's called! Call it the "stupid people who drive old cars" policy for all I care! haha!

I drive my old cars. All of 'em. Daily. I don't have a modern car (well, my wife does). Soooo - liabiltiy only for right now...

But, I have heard State Farm will do agreed value policies on older cars used as daily transportation with generous discounts if you have more than one (since you can only drive one at a time) & no restrictions. Haven't checked into it yet, but will soon...

-------------------

Comment

Working...
                              X