First Gear Grind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Gear Grind

I just brought the 57 Champion to the shop to get the clutch replaced, and the seals (full tranny set, pinion seal) also replaced while the car was in the shop

They finished up...and now the car won't go into first gear...as you shift down, the two gears feel like they are riding each other but won't mesh

I left it at the shop for them to take another look at...

I know that first is not synchronized, and have experienced that...it would normally slow down and I could get it into gear, or I'd shift to second then first...not this time...doesn't seem to want to slow down at all...keep grinding

I would like to give them a little input

What needs to be adjusted?

Thanks for the help....

First thing that comes to mind is improper clutch adjustment. With the car in neutral, clutch pedal depressed start the engine, release the clutch pedal, depress the clutch pedal and wait a few seconds....then try to put the shifter in first gear with the engine still running. If it does not want to go into first, or makes a clunk or grinding noise into first gear it is probably clutch adjusment...double check this with the engine turned off, it should be easy to engage first gear.... good luck, hopefully this is all that is wrong. Junior.
    sigpic
    1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

next..properly adjust the lever rods and make sure the rods are where they should be...

Comment

Working...
      X