Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Hawk has taken on a Backfire

What causes a backfire?

The car runs really well but yesterday I had it out on the highway and upon deceleration she backfired, not once but twice.

Is this a timing issue or is my carburetor running to rich?

Allen
    1964 GT Hawk
    PSMCDR 2014
    Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
    PSMCDR 2013
    Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

There are a couple of things that will cause backfire on deceleration. The idle mixture is set too rich or there is a leak in the exhaust system allowing air to mix with the hot exhaust gas which can cause backfiring. There can also be a combination of both a rich mixture and a leak in the exhaust causing the backfire. To be on the safe side, I would also recheck the ignition timing. Bud

Comment

My Champion started doing this on a trip years ago. Turned out that when I replaced the wire inside the distributor I made it too short and the higher vacuum when I coasted would allow the diaphragm in the distributor to "turn off" the ignition loading the exhaust with fuel and causing a backfire.
      In any case, I would suspect the ignition system.
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Allen, I think you are running an electronic ignition system, right? But on the off-chance that yours is still stock, a backfire such as you describe used to be considered as a symptom of a failing condenser.
        Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Originally posted by gordr View Post
          Allen, I think you are running an electronic ignition system, right? But on the off-chance that yours is still stock, a backfire such as you describe used to be considered as a symptom of a failing condenser.
          It will be my day in the shop tomorrow with the Hawk, changing the oil, lubing up the front end, checking for loose bolts on the braking system and suspension, looking at the exhaust system and hangers, and installing the new distributor that "Bud" rebuilt for me, including installing the petronix system I bought on EBay all in preparation for the Pure Stocks Drags next weekend.

Thanks for the information guys, I'll tighten things up on the exhaust and check for a leak on the R3 exhaust manifolds. I'm looking forward the installing the rebuilt distributor with the petronix which will eliminate that potential failing condenser and finally those points.

Allen
          1964 GT Hawk
          PSMCDR 2014
          Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
          PSMCDR 2013
          Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Working...
          X