Permatex for new valve cover gaskets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Permatex for new valve cover gaskets?

I am getting ready to put new valve covers and gaskets on my Lark.

Would it be OK to use Permatex or some other sealant? My parts store has Permatex in both "non-hardening" and "hardening" sealant for sale.

What do you recommend I use?

Also, should I use Permatex for a new thermostat gasket as well?

Thanks.

For what it's worth, I used #2 Permatex form-a-gasket (non-hardening) on my new valve cover gaskets. Just to clarify, this is NOT blue silicone! It is a dark brown tar-like substance and works very well.

As for my thermostat gasket, I didnt use any sealer.
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
      For what it's worth, I used #2 Permatex form-a-gasket (non-hardening) on my new valve cover gaskets. Just to clarify, this is NOT blue silicone! It is a dark brown tar-like substance and works very well.

As for my thermostat gasket, I didnt use any sealer.
      Words to live by!! I always use Permatex #2 non-hardening sealant on any gasket that contacts, oil, gasoline and antifreeze. Brent is dead on.

Bob

Comment

Thanks guys. Bob, do you use it on the thermostat gasket?

Comment

SF

Yes I do. The last time I didn't was on the 83 Avanti. I used a Fel-Pro thermostat gasket ( my favorite ) and had a leak. Tore it out, new gasket, permatex and put it together, No leaks.

Bob

Comment

My valve covers have only the rubber gasket, and do not leak a bit. I've had them on and off several times with no leakage. FWIW.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Excellent. Now I have know what my project is for tomorrow night. Thanks for the help gentlemen.

Comment

I only used the Permatex to adhere the gasket to the valve cover (to keep it from falling out of place while installing the valve cover). No leaks either.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
                  I only used the Permatex to adhere the gasket to the valve cover (to keep it from falling out of place while installing the valve cover). No leaks either.
                  Yep, I just use 3M weatherstrip cement to hold the gasket to the cover. BTW, I had lots of engines with bits of blue Permatex in the oil.
                  JDP Maryland

Comment

Milaca, so you didn't apply the Permatex to both sides of the gasket?

Comment

Originally posted by studefan View Post
                      Milaca, so you didn't apply the Permatex to both sides of the gasket?
                      Only used it between the gasket and the valve cover (I have no Permatex between the gasket and cylinder heads). If I ever need to remove the cover for valve adjustment, it will lift right off without any hastle.
                      Last edited by Milaca; 09-07-2010, 06:28 PM.
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X