Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In NYC You Never Know What You Will See In A Window Display!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In NYC You Never Know What You Will See In A Window Display!

As I was walking on the 57th St. side of the Hearst bldg today I noticed an Andy Warhol window exhibit running all the way down the street, so curious, I stopped at the beginning of the block on corner of 8th and read a card about Andy then proceeded down each artwork displayed. Most of the pieces were of a female glamour nature done in his repetive way back then. But in the midst of it all there I stopped short because I saw something entitled "Deus Ex Machina" and displayed were two colums of the Studebaker Avanti then two columns of the Chrysler Imperial then two columns of a Cadillac, along with various Coca-Cola bottles, in grey/white/black tones, all on one painting along with a message long ago written by some French poet. There were two similar paintings and again the Avanti was on the second. It was displayed in the original Harper's Bazaar magazine of November 1962 (the year before the first Avanti was mfgd.)

So it pays to look at displays ........:-)

If you are still in the city, check with the Museum of the City of NY on 104th and fifth. Thewy had/have still an exhibit on the car and NYC. A lotof material is of Studebaker including dealerships, phoos etc.

BG

Comment

Originally posted by Laemmle View Post
      There were two similar paintings and again the Avanti was on the second. It was displayed in the original Harper's Bazaar magazine of November 1962 (the year before the first Avanti was mfgd.)

So it pays to look at displays ........:-)
      I thought that the first production Avanti was manufactured June 1962 (for the 1963 model year). How does this compute with "...November 1962 (the year before the first Avanti was mfgd.)"?
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

That is what the editors working at Hurst Corp claimed.
        Originally posted by studegary View Post
        I thought that the first production Avanti was manufactured June 1962 (for the 1963 model year). How does this compute with "...November 1962 (the year before the first Avanti was mfgd.)"?

Comment

Is this the artwork?

Comment

Originally posted by Laemmle View Post
            That is what the editors working at Hurst Corp claimed.
            Thanks for clearing that up for me.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
            X