Removing vent window glass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing vent window glass

How do I remove the vent window from my hawk without breaking it? I need it to reinstall,is there anyway?

Studebakers forever!
    Studebakers forever!

Easiest and less tedious way is to pull out your wallet, take out a charge card, call up Champ Specialty glass (studebaker glass shop, in Idaho) or another glass supplier, order a new one (they're "relatively" cheap) as well as the rubber channeling that the glass goes into (you'll need a new one); then break the old one and install the new glass...easy as pie

OR

If you insist, the non-breaking way: Gently warm the metal around the window to ease glass removal, about the only thing that works well. It will expand (open up) the metal AND soften the rubber so that you can pull the glass out. Use a propane torch, don't hold it too close, and keep it constantly moving around the frame -otherwise you'll heat the chrome too much and discolor it (or heat the glass too much and discolor the laminate in the glass)!! Oh, and you'll need to get new flat glass rubber channeling to re-install, call up the glass store -soap up the rubber insulation well before attempting to reinstall. I'd also recommend some nice leather gloves to hold things while you heat it up with a propane torch, some nice soft leather gloves that fit well, so that you have good dexterity to feel and hold the pieces.

Best Regards,
    Eric West
    "The Speedster Kid"
    Sunny Northern California
    Where the roads don't freeze over and the heat doesn't kill you.
    And an open road is yours to have -only during non-commute rush hours 9am-4pm and 7pm to 7am (Ha, ha, ha)
    Best Regards,
    Eric West
    "The Speedster Kid"
    Sunny Northern California
    Where the roads don't freeze over and the heat doesn't kill you.
    And an open road is yours to have -only during non-commute rush hours 9am-4pm and 7pm to 7am (Ha, ha, ha)
    55 Speedster "Lemon/Lime" (Beautiful)
    55 President State Sedan (Rusty original, but runs great and reliable)

Comment

Do you need to remove the vent window assembly from the vent window frame or do you need to remove the glass itself from the vent window assembly?

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

In addition to some heat, PB Blaster in the seam will help. I have gotten a good grip to pull on the glass using a piece of inner tube and a couple strips of wood lath to cushion the jaws of a pair of pliers. Very, very gentle prying with a small screwdriver may get it started.
        If it breaks, as Eric said, order one or take your pieces to your local glass shop and have them cut one for you. It's flat glass.
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

The frame that is chrome plated is bad, I need to remove the glass from the frame, I was told on another thread that I would have to remove the glass before it could be rechromed. I would also have to remove the frame from the assembly to install the rubber. It's a good thing this assebly is not difficult to remove or disassemble. that goodness for simplicity.

Studebakers forever!
          Studebakers forever!

Comment

KISS = Keep It Simple Studebaker!

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
            Lotsa Larks!
            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
            Ron Smith
            Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
            Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
            Ron Smith
            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studelover

The frame that is chrome plated is bad, I need to remove the glass from the frame, I was told on another thread that I would have to remove the glass before it could be rechromed.
              I'm not sure what model Stude you have, but all the ones I can think of were stainless...not chromed (but then my memory isn't what it used to be )

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

On my Avanti I was able to carefully pry against the top tip of the glass and then pull the glass from the frame. No heat, and it went oack in with a few taps of a rubber hammer.

ErnieR

Comment

My '51 and '53 are both chrome, and I've had them both rechromed. So, you've removed and disassembled. Use light heat, PB Blaster, slight pressure and patience. They will come out.

You will need to carefully drill out all the rivets that hold the pivot and latches. Store these hardware pieces safely where you won't lose them. Get new rivets, brass or stainless.

Let us know when you're ready to reassemble.

Brad Johnson
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
                  Brad Johnson,
                  SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                  '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
                  X