Electric pumps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric pumps

Hey..to all those electric pump guys....is it true that diesel & clothespins don't work...????? I've been reading much here on this and wonder what's the best solution....?

Once in a while those tricks do help; the key being ONCE IN A WHILE.
    I understand there are two types of electric pumps. One stays on all the time eliminating the mechanical pump on your engine. The other (which I want) is one that you can use to "prime the system" after a long inactive period... but it will allow fuel to flow through it when the mechanical pump is doing the job. My question is which is which in termonoligy. I want a 6 volt one of the "flow-thrus" and don't know what to look for..

Comment

6 Volt flow-through electric fuel pumps

Hi,

Jim Gieselman has exactly that pump in his 1953 Starlite. It is 6 volt. I just recently had a discussion with him about this exact topic. He explained to me how he installed it and how it works. I also know that Eddie Skomoroh, who you may know, is trying to do this exact same thing in his Champ pickup. As I recall, Jim purchased his from a fellow who had a case of them. So, I would think he would have more available. Jim doesn't use this forum much. I don't know if he is even registered. He is an interesting man in many ways. I get a big kick out of knowing that he is from Herman, Mn. That town is famous for the Russian women they recruited. Jim says there was even a movie made about that. Also, Jim's dad owned a Studebaker garage in that town.
      I will get in touch with Jim and let him know you desire one of these pumps. If you want, PM me and I will give you his phone number and email address that I have.

Jim R.
      North Star Chapter
      Last edited by jamesr; 09-07-2010, 05:29 AM. Reason: punctuation
      sigpic

Comment

If there is an index to Turning Wheels/Co-Operator, hunt in the early '00s for a discussion on electric fuel pumps. I read that and went to NAPA and bought the 6 volt model recommended and am quite happy with it. It is not polarity sensitive, ie., there are two wires, either will go to ground, depending on the polarity of the system. The pump part is a rotating plate with soft vanes on it, you can see through the inlet/outlet ports, no flow through restriction. When it is activated in a quiet garage, you can hear a soft whirring.

Sorry, but it's been 7 or 8 years, and I have no idea of it's manufacturer or model.

Comment

More on Fuel Pumps

Hi,

It ends up that a little research will give you a lot of info on these pumps. The six volt model is available from Car Quest and other suppliers. Its Car Quest number is: E8011.
          I found a MAC (whatever that is) 6 volt with a number 9350-6.
          Info is also available on Bob Johnstone's Studebaker site.

Here is a link to some discussion on the topic:

These are even available on eBay. Search for item # 330465658776. This is the six volt pump E8011

Jim R.
          Last edited by jamesr; 09-07-2010, 08:49 AM.
          sigpic

Comment

I installed an E8011 in my 55 President, just a few weeks before selling it. The earlier pump was on for 6-7 years and was finally corroded by the alcohol in today's gasoline. I inquired about the alcohol factor in the E8011 and was told it can withstand up to 15%. It comes with a fuel pre-filter.

As an aside, recently I've been fooling around with the inline 12 volt pumps being sold by a few, to fight the vapor lock issue.. These are the gear rotor type that are small and cylindrical. My first outing with one on a switched circuit showed me that they have to be running full time and a mechanical pump cannot draw sufficient fuel through them to keep the engine running.
            The down side of this is that I've seen/heard of two of these pumps going bad within a week of installation, which questions their reliability. With these being used full time, if it goes bad, you're stuck, unless you have some alternate fuel plumbing that the mechanical pump can use. I currently refitted my old (switched) Facet (NAPA) clicker pump to the car, since the priority is redundancy.....and fighting vapor lock.
            64 GT Hawk (K7)
            1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Well, there is this one as well: 330467317362
              This seems to have everything that is required, including pressure limit, reversability, and not being affected by Ethanol, as well as the same sort of price. My Wagonaire has been running with this type of pump for over 12 years on all fuel and as its sole pump, but its older construction, so maybe that made a difference.

After reading this thread, http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ghlight=airtex
              for example, I am somewhat leery about using that new Airtex electric fuel pump. Should I be?

I won't buy from Summit Racing anyway--take a look at their shipping policy. I could get things shipped to my address in Maine, but why should I spend any money with them since they hate all furriners so dang much?
              Last edited by Jim B PEI; 09-07-2010, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim B PEI View Post
                Well, there is this one as well: 330467317362
                This seems to have everything that is required, including pressure limit, reversability, and not being affected by Ethanol, as well as the same sort of price. My Wagonaire has been running with this type of pump for over 12 years on all fuel and as its sole pump, but its older construction, so maybe that made a difference.

After reading this thread, http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ghlight=airtex
                for example, I am somewhat leery about using that new Airtex electric fuel pump. Should I be?

I won't buy from Summit Racing anyway--take a look at their shipping policy. I could get things shipped to my address in Maine, but why should I spend any money with them since they hate all furriners so dang much?
                Who makes pump #330467317362 ?

It helps to name the manufacturer if you want to order one.

Comment

Guys: Turning Wheels advertiser and swell guy Randy Rundle has everything you need to know about both 6-volt and 12-volt electric fuel pumps, and availability through him.

Click on his website below and look halfway down the right-hand column on the home (opening) page:

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Hmm, I don't want to be stealing anyone's thunder here, but the two pumps that I had mentioned failing, were from 5th Ave Garage. The first one he replaced and has worked fine since (1000 miles or so); the 2nd one is being shipped to the other party. The 330467317362 (Ebay) pump is the type I put on the 55. It appears that both the Carter and the Airtex renditions of this model are identical, leaving one to surmise they're made in our friendly(?) Chinese factories, but they have good press in the other forums.
                    The gear rotor type I used was a Carter 60504 (4psi), since you can't get any info on actual part numbers from anyone selling them. My selection came from sorting through the reports on other forums. I believe it's a bit smaller in diameter than the 5th Ave type and it worked fine until I found you couldn't draw through it and was leery of the pressure delivered.
                    Currently I have an order in for a Carter Carter P74021 which is a Solenoid type. The boating people love them and it will include a pressure regulator and a gauge...
                    64 GT Hawk (K7)
                    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Airtex on Hand

Hi,

I now have an Airtex E8011 coming to my door. That is the 6 volt flow through fuel pump from
                      Carquest. If you don't want to go through the hassle of tracking one down yourself, I could sell you this one. You just need to PM me and we can work something out.

Jim R.
                      sigpic

Comment

I can't add too much to your thread here on what type of pump you should use. However, I would recommend for those of you who drive in hot weather to add a return line.

The toughest part of this is running the actual line. I highly recommend you keep the rubber line to a minimum. 1/4" brake line from you auto parts store is just fine. The Fram G3499 filter has a small return port and looks like this:

The reason why is because of the alcohol put into our gasoline. It boils at 170 or so, you can imagine your engine is a bit warmer than that. The electric fuel pump helps pressurize the fuel line in the hot spots and just like a pressure cap on your radiator it helps raise that boiling point. BUT if you have an underhood temp in the 200+ range you can expect to vapor lock. Having a return line will keep purging your fuel line and keep a cooler supply of fuel to your carburetor.

This will work with your stock mechanical fuel pump so long as this filter is between the pump and the carburetor.

Comment

Working...
                        X