PDA

View Full Version : 56-57 first gear start.

Rosstude
09-01-2006, 04:11 PM
Ok-ok, I hate to even bring it up, and yes I have searched this site and the NG, and read all I can on this subject. None the less, I had way too much coffee last night, and spent some time looking at the parts manual, and spinning a tale in my head about an el-cheapo 1st gear start for our 57. As I understand it, the 57’s had the same control body as the 56’s which did start in 1st gear, the only difference being, as I read it, is 3 springs. I see in the manual the 2nd gear start conversion kit for 56’s, consisting of 3 springs, with the part numbers listed for each spring. But in I only see the part number for one spring going under the 1-2 valve of the earlier 1st gear set up. The manual outlines the 2nd gear start kit install as follows, (not a direct quote) remove spring from below the 1-2 valve and install new spring from kit on top of said 1-2 valve. Then remove the inner and outer springs from the 2-3 valve and replace with springs from kit.
So, I have a part # for the spring to go under the 1-2 valve, and SASCO’s web site indicates they have it. But my manual on CD does not list the numbers for the early 56 inner and outer springs of the 2-3 valve.
Would an earlier 56 parts manual list numbers for the (early 56) 2-3 valve inner and outer springs? Is anyone out there willing to peek at a “real” manual, and help this fool in his folly?

Only under high doses of caffeine would I read, more less attempt to understand the control strategy, operations outlined in manual, the schematic in the manual, and the differences between the early 1st, and 2nd gear start controls.[:0]
I may be wasting my time, but I would be willing to give it a go next time I open the trans up to fix the linkage shaft leak.

Ross.
Riverside, Ca.
1957 Provincial X2
1958 Transtar
1963 Lark. F.S.

StudeRich
09-01-2006, 05:01 PM
Ross; I am looking at an original '55-'58 Chassis Parts catalog (real paper) and all I see that is for note 8 low gear start, is the (Pic.832-47 & 49) It's a 1-2 shift valve, listed as 1540971. But you want the BEFORE the note 4 mod (from low start to secoond start) valve spring for the 2-3 shift valve! I think they are trying to tell us that it is only available in the complete (note 4)low gear start control valve assy. 1540943 !
I seem to remember doing this on a '57 Flight-O by putting the spring on the opposite end of the valve!! Does that make any sense at all?
Keep in mind that the 1541549 Spring set consisting of: 1541546,7 & 8 is NOT what we want, because it's going the wrong way... from low gear start to 2nd gear start!!

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

Roscomacaw
09-01-2006, 06:36 PM
I've seen what Ross is talking about. I'm not gonna look it up right now, but the differences appear to be just with the springs.;)

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

N8N
09-01-2006, 07:10 PM
I think it would be easier with an original shop manual, where the diagrams are printed in color...

but that said, in the shop manual there was a description of the changes to the transmission to convert it from 1st gear start to 2nd gear start, maybe it might be easier to "reverse engineer" the changes, maybe with some help from the parts book.

I will have to look at my parts book later (printed '58) and see if it lists the early transmission parts. I do not have a parts book printed in '55 or '56.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Rosstude
09-02-2006, 12:22 AM
Thanks all.
I also got the same impression that the 2-3 springs were to be had in the complete valve assembly, not separately.
I too noted the same part number, 1540971 for the 1-2 valve spring, and am tempted to call SASCO and see if the web page listing is good, for less than $5.00 it may be worth a try. I just wondered how it would shift on the 2-3 with the existing springs in the 2-3 valve, maybe too fast into 3rd under light throttle.
Seems I read about the switching the 1-2 spring to the opposite end, and it does make sense after studying the operation schematic. The manual shows the early 56 spring under the valve as a straight sided barrel shape, and the 2nd gear start as a conical spring on top, but the manual on CD is a copy and not all that clear on some of the pictures.
I am “gearing” up to change the seals on the linkage shafts, and thought I would see if SASCO had the springs, so I could order them at the same time. Me thinks I should order an extra trans pan gasket, I may have this thing apart more than once. This could prove interesting.
The trans leak is next in line after the Edelbrock carb which will go on next Friday. So if all goes as planned (HA) I may have the control body on the bench next Saturday.

Ross.
Riverside, Ca.
1957 Provincial X2
1958 Transtar
1963 Lark. F.S.

N8N
09-02-2006, 10:25 AM
Sorry, I didn't have a chance to check my parts book last night, as just after posting that the power went off and stayed off. If it's back on I'll try again tonight (can't wait to move, every time it rains the power goes out...)

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

CHAMP
09-02-2006, 02:50 PM
Come on up to Cecil county Nate We had power all night. I probably jinksed us , now our power will probably go out.[8]

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.