Wanted:352 service crank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanted:352 service crank

Hi i am looking for a solid crank pin crank and from what i was told the service cranks are the ones with a solid crank pin.
    1955 Speedster
    1957 Golden Hawk
    1957 Silver Hawk
    1960 Hawk
    Life is a gift not a given Right

Was told that some Hudsons have "forged" cranks as part of their deal to buy the Packard engines. Don't know if true, but, would be worth looking into.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

NEW 352 Service Crank

I am looking for a million dollars in hundred dollar bills, can you help! Lol!
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by Jons57stude View Post
        Hi i am looking for a solid crank pin crank and from what i was told the service cranks are the ones with a solid crank pin.

track the remaining 1956 Studebaker Golden Hawks, help owners maintain or restore their cars, help prospective owners make an intelligent purchase.

Good luck!!!

Comment

This would be a good place to start

The Packard® Club is dedicated to the enjoyment, maintenance, and accurate restoration and preservation of the products and history of The Packard® Motor Car Company of Detroit, Michigan, a manufacturer of one of the greatest marques in world history; on land, in the air, or on the sea: Automobiles, Trucks and Professional vehicles.
          64 GT Hawk (K7)
          1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Rich,
            Please let me know if I am out of line in saying your response was probably not helpful or encouraging.
            You obviously know your stuff but I think Jon was hoping for help, not sarcasm. Subsequent posts indicate there is help out there to be had; it just takes perseverance and patience.

If I am out of line I apologize and, this Forum is probably not the place to air the issue.
            Last edited by rockne10; 09-06-2010, 06:09 PM.
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Yes, there were a few forged, solid pin Packard V8 crankshafts.

No, they are neither easy to find nor inexpensive to buy. Figure a minimum of $500.

Maybe, you might share your goals for the engine build.

FWIW, if you are considering using the forged crank as a basis for a welded stroker crank, you may find it will cost almost as much as a billet stroker to have done correctly. (Of course, you do know the Packard V8 block main webs are not sufficiently strong to handle a big stroke at high horsepower?)

jack vines
              PackardV8

Comment

Thank you!!!!! i was thinking the same thing but in meaner words. I do although, would like to thank all of you who are trying to send me in the right direction. Forgive me for i am new to the forum and still unsure of a few things.
                Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                Rich,
                Please let me know if I am out of line in saying your response was probably not helpful or encouraging.
                You obviously know your stuff but I think Jon was hoping for help, not sarcasm. Subsequent posts indicate there is help out there to be had; it just takes perseverance and patience.

If I am out of line I apologize and, this Forum is probably not the place to air the issue.
                Last edited by Jons57stude; 09-07-2010, 05:05 PM.
                1955 Speedster
                1957 Golden Hawk
                1957 Silver Hawk
                1960 Hawk

Comment

Thanks jack, i guess my plans were to stroke the crank and make a little horsepower, but i guess what i was wondering was what would be the safe amount of stroking i could do to this crank.
                  Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                  Yes, there were a few forged, solid pin Packard V8 crankshafts.

No, they are neither easy to find nor inexpensive to buy. Figure a minimum of $500.

Maybe, you might share your goals for the engine build.

FWIW, if you are considering using the forged crank as a basis for a welded stroker crank, you may find it will cost almost as much as a billet stroker to have done correctly. (Of course, you do know the Packard V8 block main webs are not sufficiently strong to handle a big stroke at high horsepower?)

jack vines
                  1955 Speedster
                  1957 Golden Hawk
                  1957 Silver Hawk
                  1960 Hawk

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                    Rich,

Brad,

You were not out of line. The gentleman asked a straightforward question. Not a way we should be 'welcoming' newer posters to this forum.
                    Paul
                    Winston-Salem, NC
                    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                    Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

The Packard V8 forged crank can be stroked 1/4" with no problems. Anything more than that requires serious grinding for clearance on the bottom of the cylinders. Any stroking also requires hammering clearance into the bottom of the oil pan.

What will you be doing for a camshaft and intake?

Bottom line - Since they were a two-year-only and low production, there were next to no speed parts available. Thus, hot rodding a Packard V8 makes the Studebaker V8 efforts seem easy and inexpensive. I've done a few and have some oiling system parts you'll have to have, so PM me if you have questions.

jack vines
                      PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                      X