Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

need help and parts for 51 champion (nOOb)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help and parts for 51 champion (nOOb)

don't worry, i joined SDC and my local chapter (pending the snail mail over the holiday). i've been paging through the first 25 pages of this forum and have found much useful information. i also realized there's a lot of people out there with a wealth of knowledge to share.

anyway, i bought a 51 champion 2 door sedan. i'm not getting it for 5 more days, so i don't actually have it in-hand yet. it runs, albeit no fuel tank. so my first project is getting a new tank (or a custom one built). i found a nearby tank builder for demolition derby cars who charges $10 per gallon plus $15. and if i've done my research right, it's supposed to be an 18 gallon tank. trouble is, i don't have the old one to measure off from; nor do i have a fuel sender (it's still a 6v positive ground system). i don't know if someone has a good tank laying around... or a crappy one that measurements for size, lines, holes, and mounts would be obtainable.

i'm also looking for a dash-mounted rearview mirror. i found side mirrors on ebay that mount on the door that i like (and i've seen those at the car shows). i need a wiper motor knob and a heater knob. i need new door/side upholstery as mine is 99% missing (down to the metal). i need a hood pull handle (cable too?). might need a lens for the license plate light. need license plate mounts. need rocker panels (but i did find a pair for $190). need fuel sending unit. need rear bumper guards. need glove box lock. i'm sure this list will be added to, but keep in mind i don't have a ton of money coming in right now, so i'm trying to be thrifty (and get only what i need to run/drive the car).

questions:
    i have two approx. 1" hoses coming from the passenger side firewall that are disconnected. i think i see the hose where they're supposed to connect to (they're split into one hose), but i want to confirm.
    two 1/4" nipples coming from passenger firewall by the under dash fan. no idea about those. no hoses coming from them.
    use oil bath or high-flow washable air filter (like k&n)? i'd rather have performance than worry about keeping it stock.

more questions will come, you can be sure of that. and yes, i have ordered all 3 manuals for this car.

any help appreciated!

thanks!

If you have ordered the three manuals and joined SDC it sounds like you will soon have answers to all your questions.
    We look forward to photos of your project.
    Last edited by rockne10; 09-06-2010, 01:37 PM.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I have a few of the parts you need

Comment

I am parting out a 1951 Champion

If you need anything, let me know. Here is a pictures of a 1951 Champion I am parting out.
        Attached Files

Comment

tx rebel,
          awesome! which parts and how much? i'm checking with a local yard who said they'd get back to me tomorrow or wed. again, priority is drivable condition first!

Comment

Originally posted by royvaldez View Post
            If you need anything, let me know. Here is a pictures of a 1951 Champion I am parting out.
            i dont think i need anything really under the hood now. it starts, but i have yet to drive it. i do see you have the rearview mirror though!
            do you have the hood cable/pull?
            gas tank? good shape? fuel sender?
            interior upholstery forms? (front door armrests, especially)
            interior knobs?
            underseat heater (or should i just take everyone's advice and not install that)?
            glove box lock?
            ideas/suggestions?

thanks!

Comment

all the pics i have are posted in my profile album. i also have a 40 minute video of when i went to go look at it, but whatever.

Comment

You're in Minnesota! For crying out loud!
                Who are the "everyone's" advising you not to install the underseat heater? It will cook you out; just not the best defroster.
                Brad Johnson,
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                  You're in Minnesota! For crying out loud!
                  Who are the "everyone's" advising you not to install the underseat heater? It will cook you out; just not the best defroster.
                  actually, "everyone" is the seller. he said most people take them out. i have the blower for it under the hood, but not the heater itself or the hose to connect it to the blower... (or the cover plate, for that matter). he told me a story of when he was young, the hose broke while they were driving and flooded the car with hot water. not my idea of a good time in a minnesota winter!

for the record, i did see what looks like an electric heater under the dash with a couple heater coils like you'd find in an old electric cooktop or (on a much smaller level), a toaster. not sure if it works. the switch that looked like it was for the heater didn't move. i plan a thorough cleaning.

couldn't get the interior lights to go, either... but i'm missing the button on the passenger door (bought a replacement already). maybe it's not completing the circuit?
                  Last edited by pyrodork; 09-06-2010, 05:10 PM.

Comment

One bit of advice I would offer is to not get in a big hurry. Take your time and don't just grab the first parts offered up to you. If you go to a junk yard, be sure to dress down and drive the oldest dirtiest car you have. If you have a college ring, don't wear it. I found out a long time ago, junk yard operators seem to "have it in" for us folks that went to college, drive new cars, and use good english.

Get to know your local Studebaker chapter members. There may be a few, from time to time, that will try to take advantage of you, but word gets around fast and you'll learn who your friends are. If you are into "road trips," you might think about the annual swap meets like Reedsville, Pa. in November, York, Pa. usually in March, and the folks around South Bend, In. have one in the spring. In my opinion, there are no un-desirable bullet nose models of Studebakers. You should have a ton of fun getting this one back on the road.

Welcome to the Studebaker family and good luck.
                    John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Obviously you seller doesn't know most people. I've never had one of those hoses flood the car. Of course, I replace them as a matter of maintenance every thirty years or so.
                      At any rate, without going there, let's help you make this the car you want.
                      Brad Johnson,
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

The "climatizer" system on your car has 2 separate heater cores. The under-dash unit you saw and has those smaller hose connections on the firewall next to the fan motor is just the windshield defroster. The actual heater core is under the passenger side front seat. I am not sure where the fan for that is on a '51 (yes its a separate one) but later years it was mounted under the passenger side front fender. Any rate, it will somehow get air from the vent door on the passenger side front fender and direct it through a big hose under the car to the "pan" under the seat where the core is. There will be a thermostat valve located likely under the dash behind the glove box that controls water flow to both of those cores. The "heat" knob/lever sets the temperature of that valve. The water flows through the valve and then "T"s off the 2 parallel paths for the defrost core and the heater core. The fan motors for the defrost and the underseat heater are controlled from separate switches. On my '53 they are labeled "defrost" and "air". Haha, as "air" sure ain't air conditioning!

It seems like a complex system but it will put out a lot of heat when working correctly. The defrost is so-so though.

Since the heat and defrost are separate units, you may want to only get the defrost working if you don't plan on real cold weather driving. It will simplify your hose routing.

Jeff in ND

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_H View Post
                          The "climatizer" system on your car has 2 separate heater cores. The under-dash unit you saw and has those smaller hose connections on the firewall next to the fan motor is just the windshield defroster. The actual heater core is under the passenger side front seat. I am not sure where the fan for that is on a '51 (yes its a separate one) but later years it was mounted under the passenger side front fender. Any rate, it will somehow get air from the vent door on the passenger side front fender and direct it through a big hose under the car to the "pan" under the seat where the core is. There will be a thermostat valve located likely under the dash behind the glove box that controls water flow to both of those cores. The "heat" knob/lever sets the temperature of that valve. The water flows through the valve and then "T"s off the 2 parallel paths for the defrost core and the heater core. The fan motors for the defrost and the underseat heater are controlled from separate switches. On my '53 they are labeled "defrost" and "air". Haha, as "air" sure ain't air conditioning!

It seems like a complex system but it will put out a lot of heat when working correctly. The defrost is so-so though.

Since the heat and defrost are separate units, you may want to only get the defrost working if you don't plan on real cold weather driving. It will simplify your hose routing.
                          that must be what that sliding lever is for under the glove box!

i would like to get it so it's drivable in the winter, but i'm not planning on it until i at least get a little more comfortable driving it in better weather. if the underseat heater is a good deal, i'd like to get one installed. i found one on ebay, but it doesn't appear to be complete. where the hose connects to the unit is only a half circle... indicating that there's a cover that's missing. i don't even know what they're supposed to look like... all i know is that there's a hole in my passenger floor (there's no seat there).

Comment

not a huge swap meet, but it's in 2 weeks, and it's close by (in hudson on saturday 9-18)! worth a look see. There will be a bunch of members there from the north star chapter to get to know. You will probably end up going home with more names than parts, but it's a start. And you can always try to fill out your need list after talking to people. It's still a fun day just to shoot the breeze with everyone.

Last edited by gohdes; 09-07-2010, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gohdes View Post
                              not a huge swap meet, but it's in 2 weeks, and it's close by (in hudson on saturday 9-18)! worth a look see. There will be a bunch of members there from the north star chapter to get to know. You will probably end up going home with more names than parts, but it's a start. And you can always try to fill out your need list after talking to people. It's still a fun day just to shoot the breeze with everyone.

http://www.northstarwheel.com/studeswap.html
                              yeah, i know about that one... i'll be out of town. i'm trying to find someone to go for me, but haven't had much luck yet. dropped my application for the north star chapter in the mail today. also going to join the minnesota street rod association, but if i wait until next month, i won't have to renew in january.

Comment

Working...
                              X