PDA

View Full Version : bolt for oil pressure relief 289 eng

don samborski
04-16-2007, 11:33 PM
Does anyone have the bolt size for the oil pressure relief on the block for a 289 eng.. I have the spring etc. but missing the bolt..
I would assume the length is important?

thanks, don.

Dwain G.
04-17-2007, 12:48 AM
More than just important, It's essential. It really isn't a bolt, it's a plug with the inside end countersunk to act as a seat for the spring. Part number 527225, fits all V8's.

http://home.comcast.net/~jdwain/63.63.jpg
Dwain G.

studebaker-R2-4-me
04-18-2007, 09:43 PM
This is the bolt you need for a V8 application. I searched high and low for one at the York Pa Swap meet and asked every vendor. I thought I found one but I believe it was for a 170 CI (too big). The one I scavanged at York was found in a pile on a Vendor's table. It was not until I posted that I needed one on Alt. Autos that my old friend Gord Richmond came to the rescue and it came in the mail yesterday. Ask Cathcart's Studebaker 860-564-5852 for one. I spoke with him at York and he told me he had one at home. www.cathcartsstudebaker.com

If it is anything like the one Gord sent me it will cost you more for postage than the bolt is worth. My jaw dropped when I saw what it cost Gord to send it to me $10.76. He was suprised too!

Allen

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o278/studebaker-r2-4-me/OilpressureBolt.jpg

1964 GT Hawk soon to be R2 Clone

rockne10
04-18-2007, 10:23 PM
I tried googling this Studebaker part number and the google search came right back to this Forum thread. Cool, huh?
That also means no Studebaker vendors with catalogs in scanned files list it. If none are forthcoming, it shouldn't be difficult to get one from the many V-8 Studes currently dissolving in a salvage yard somewhere.(Light humor intended).

Many of the Stude vendors deal mainly in salvaged parts. It shouldn't be hard to find if you inquire. Any 1951 through 1964 could be a donor.

don samborski
04-27-2007, 09:44 PM
quote:Originally posted by don samborski

Does anyone have the bolt size for the oil pressure relief on the block for a 289 eng.. I have the spring etc. but missing the bolt..
I would assume the length is important?

thanks, don.
THANKS FOR REPLYS.....GOT ONE FROM SASCO...NO PROBLEM.,

gordr
04-27-2007, 10:07 PM
Allen, how cool is it see a used part that I shipped to you photographed and published on an international website?

Head swells to alarming proportions!

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands