PDA

View Full Version : Avanti R2 alternator conversion

Kdancy
09-01-2006, 02:06 PM
I would like to put a modern type alternator on an Avanti R2 engine. Any one done that?
Advice on parts and alternator used ?

jimmijim8
09-01-2006, 03:22 PM
I used a Mopar alternator from Auto Zone. Part # DL 7001 46 amp. I had to file 1/16 of an inch from the inside of both the lower mounting ears. Comes with a bushing for chrysler use but you will need to cut the bushing and install it in one of the ears. Use your existing mounting bolts. I don't know if you consider this modern but a lot of the folks that have used these are happy with the longevity factor. I feel confident with mine plus it is lifetime guaranteed and for the most part a stocked item. 49.00 total including the core charge. You will probably have to go to a slightly longer drive belt as the alternator is a little bigger in diameter. A transistorized voltage regulator is available from them so I bought it but still am using my original. jimmijim

1956 Hawk
09-01-2006, 03:35 PM
I am also looking to replace the alternator in my R2. Does anyone know how many amps the stock alternator puts out? The 46 amps from the Mopar doesn't sound like much of an improvement, but I could be wrong.
David

Edit: I looked it up and the stock alternator is 40 amps.

Karl
09-01-2006, 04:47 PM
David . Summit has two. 60amps $90 & chrome 75amps $175 Stock was 35amps I beleve.

1956 Hawk
09-01-2006, 04:55 PM
Karl, so just order an aftermarket version of the Mopar alternator? Do you know what the application or part numbers are?
Thanks,
David

Karl
09-01-2006, 06:58 PM
61 - 89 Chryslers,I still have the non chrome unit for the Twin. But its about twenty years old.

jimmijim8
09-01-2006, 07:21 PM
My Hawk has air and no other electrical options that I can think of other than what one would expect the car to come standard equipped with. wipers, horn, radio, heater. The low 46 amp output of the Mopar alternator works fine. My original alternator was 35 amps. The next larger size Stude is 40. Todays newer car need higher output alternators due to the fact that some of them have many current demanding needs. Power seats,windows, air, computer control and whatever else . jimmijim

jimmijim8
09-01-2006, 07:46 PM
Just got done looking on the Summit Racing site and saw what was mentioned earlier in the posts. I gotta get's me one of them chrome ones. They have a 60 amp one {139.00} that has a double pulley on it as is the one I got from Auto Zone. The double pulley one is the one required for use on my Hawk. I used the outer most groove so as to line it up perfect with my water pump and crank pulley. jimmijim

R2Andrea
09-01-2006, 10:36 PM
Avanti's and R powered Larks got the 40 amp Prestolite alternator, model GLE 5003. R2 Hawks and all other '63 and '64 cars got the Model ALK 5001 35 Amp alternator. Unless of course something else was special ordered.
The Mopar alternator swap used to be quite popular, but it seems to have been eclipsed by the GM units with the internal regulator.

R2Andy

jimmijim8
09-02-2006, 12:03 AM
I've been eclipsed. Chitt. I hate when that happens. I hope to have the Mopar alternator changed out by the next lunar eclipse. How much time do I have. Hopefully it will last until then. I'd have to be a lunatic not to change to a newer one. WOLF MAN