Replacing Pinion Seal on 1950 2R10 Timken Rear Axle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing Pinion Seal on 1950 2R10 Timken Rear Axle

Hi All - Help, I need to replace my leaking pinion seal! The shop manual (fig 300 pg 158) is less than clear. Fig 300 does not even show the seal. My main question is whether I have to reset the pinion to ring gear backlash. Referring to the Shop Manual, I guess the procedure to be.......

Per Fig 294 (see also Fig 300 pg 158) and par 1 of Section Disassembly pg 156, remove the u-joint (companion) nut and flange, I assume by holding the flange against turning with a large adjustable wrench or a breaker bar, an impact wrench to get the nut off, and a standard puller to remove the flange. Do not disturb the bearing adjusting nut (7) of Fig 300. Remove shaft key, the 6 cover screws holding the cover and oil seal on, and the cover and seal assembly. Remove the first gasket, the pinion bearing retainer (which comes in a variety of thicknesses, apparently matched to a measurement of some sort at factory assembly), and the second gasket. I am assuming I should replace both gaskets and the seal, but should leave the retainer as-is. Remove the seal from the cover.

Per Section Reassembly, pg 157, ignore everything except the last paragraph before Section Installation on pg 159. Since the bearing adjusting nut was left undisturbed, all the internal backlash, runout etc are also undisturbed, and can be left in their existing worn condition. Install the new seal in the cover. Lining up the oil drain holes, place the new 2nd gasket, the old bearing retainer, and the new 1st gasket (both gaskets have the same P/N, but if I can't buy new ones and have to make them, what is the thickness?) on the housing. Place the seal/cover assembly over the two gaskets and retainer, and install the six cover screws (torque = ?). Tap the shaft key into place, and slide on the U-joint flange. Install a new tab washer (6) Fig 300 and the the bearing lock nut (5) Fig 300, holding the flange as above (torque = ?).

Replacing the pinion seal ought to be simple. Is it? Is my procedure ok?? All words of wisdom will be appreciated. Thanks, Phil B.
    Last edited by philbirkeland; 09-03-2010, 06:36 PM.
Working...
X