best place/way to get flat glass replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best place/way to get flat glass replacement

The drivers door glass is cracked on my Power Hawk. I know that glass places can cut new ones, but is there some place I can find a template for them? Or...would it be better to order from one of those places you can find online, and if so, any recommendations?

Thanks,

Steve

Unless your glass is totally destroyed , your local glass shop will probably use it as a pattern to cut the new one. You may also be able to find a long established shop that still has their old NAGS flat glass patterns.

I see that you're in LaPorte. Go down to Quality Glass and talk to Dave. He's been the manager there for eons and has years of glass cutting experience.
    Last edited by R2Andrea; 09-02-2010, 07:16 PM.
    R2Andrea

Comment

If it's just cracked it's still a perfect pattern.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Someone will slap me for not knowing if a Power Hawk is a C body or a K body. Regardless, if it is a C body the NAGS pattern number is 4442S. If it is a K body it is 4440S. But most shops today just use your old one for pattern. In the old days, they would use the template to fabricate the part and have it ready when you came in.
        KURTRUK
        (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

It's a Coupe!

1956 Hawk body Styles 101

Flight Hawk 56G Champion 6-185 -C3 Coupe
          Power Hawk 56B Commander 259 V8 -C3 Coupe
          Sky Hawk 56H President 289 V8 -K7 Hardtop
          Golden Hawk 56J 352 V8 (Packard) K7 Hardtop

If you remember them bottom of the food chain $$ upward, it is easier to remember!
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Steve - An alternative is Studebaker On-Line. They sub glass out to a firm in CA who drop ships it to you. The existing driver's door glass in my 2R10 PU was in little pieces in the bottom of the door, so there was no possibility of using it as a pattern. Fast service, perfect fit, highly recommended. Best, Phil.

Comment

The advantage of using a local shop is they have more experience in getting the bottom track & rubber on & off of the old & onto the new. And if you rubber seal is bad, they can fix that too.
              Mike Sal

Comment

Working...
              X