Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Halibrand wheels for studebaker 1963/64 .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Halibrand wheels for studebaker 1963/64 .

I apologize in advance if this topic has been discussed before , so please excuse
    a latecomer to this forum . What is the current story in repect to the availability
    of the 'HALBRAND' magnesium cast wheels which were an option during 1963/64.
    I know that the wheel style was issued to the public as a 'TOURING' wheel in their
    'SPORTSCAR' series . You could buy a set at retail $287.50 polished or $267.50
    unpolished and they came in four sizes when sold at retail level to the public .
    PART NUMBER WIDTH HEIGHT
    2039 6" 14"
    2011 5.5" 15"
    2011A 6.5" 15"
    2011B 7" 15"
    Now of course , these details above quote HALIBRAND part numbers and pricing
    including a "plain" triple eared spinner for the centre of the wheel but I have
    seen a real set and they have 'STUDEBAKER CORPORATION' written on the
    spinner . I guess a question I should ask is what wheel sizing is correct for
    Studebaker application . When the sets of wheels were NEW , they were sold
    with twenty chrome plated "deep reach" acorn nuts and four chrome " theft
    proof" simulated wing nuts . The wheels were all cast in magnesium , no
    aluminium castings were ever done by the original Halibrand manufacturers.
    So the real question is size and availability of any reproductions that
    may be on the market nowadays , for both the wheels and the 'spinners' .
    If this stuff is not available - why not ! Some of the originals are
    out there , with modern casting and machining a good copy could be made
    available in either magnesium or aluminium . Just a thought for you guys.
    . BRUCE NEASMITH

I believe these are the wheels Myer's Studebaker has been planning to have repoped. They need a minimum number of orders before they can afford to do it though. The front page of their website says "February 27, 2006 - We currently have 15 Confirmed orders for Halibrand Wheels". So as you can see, it is being attempted, just not enough willing participants yet.

You might want to contact them for a status update. Bonus- Myer's is a well-known and top-notch vendor/shop that can be trusted. One of the top operations in the hobby.

myersstudebaker.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, myersstudebaker.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!
    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

The projected cost for the repros is somewhere in the $2500 territory per set of four. A bit salty for many, so the low number of confirmed orders is understandable.
      Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

FWIW, anyone fortunate enough to have a set of the original Halibarands is probably already aware magnesium alloy wheels deteriorate over time and become unsafe to use. Most vintage racing associations prohibit the use of of '50s-60s wheels in competition. If they were mine, they'd be "display only."

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

Hey Bruce, just for interest, I found a film clip on YouTube of the 1977 Nationals in Vic, and there is a scan around of the cars, and it homes in on Berts Commander with the Halibrands.
          The clip goes for 5:54, and Bert's car is about 5:06, so you have to wait till near the end to see it.
          YouTube Video.
          1956 Commander Sedan
          SCCNSW, Australia.

Comment

Originally posted by cruiser View Post
            /Cut/ I guess a question I should ask is what wheel sizing is correct for
            Studebaker application .BRUCE NEASMITH
            If that is all Studebaker had to choose from, it would be the #2011 5.5X15 size wheel.

Stock wheels are only 4 1/2 inch and 5 inch on Avanti and Jet Thrust cars, to fit no larger than 6.70X15 Tires.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Talk about 20-20 hindsight- In 1971 I bought a '66 Avanti II from Tommy Thompkins, an Avanti enthusiast/dealer in the Boston area. He offered to sell me a set of five original Halibrands complete with hubs, hammer, nuts- never used in bad weather. Price for all five- $350. My reaction- who would want those ugly things.
              Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
              '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                FWIW, anyone fortunate enough to have a set of the original Halibarands is probably already aware magnesium alloy wheels deteriorate over time and become unsafe to use.
                I did not know that. 25 years ago we were still using left-over magnesium wheels from Indy cars. I don't recall seeing one fail, although they did shatter well upon impact with the wall

The thing I DO know is, magnesium burns VERY bright and hot on after-race campfires
                Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                Romans 15:13
                Deuteronomy 31:6
                Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys . Sounds like the original Halibrand Studebaker Wheel sets
                  are a rare and desireable item nowadays . I do know that Magnesium is hard to maintain
                  looking good over the long term and so I would suggest that reproductions be run off in
                  Aluminium to protect the integrity of the originals and to supply a modern product .
                  My thinking was that if the basic wheels for Studebaker were identical to
                  those offered to the public for use on "brand X" , maybe instead of limiting the group
                  of people to Studebaker owners , there would be 'plenty' of interest from people who
                  are on a Sixties nostalgia kick and own other makes of cars . After all it seems like the
                  only unique part to Studebaker is the triple eared 'spinner' .
                  To me , they just look like a nice set of wheels and it would be real good
                  if they could become available again . Imagine the Muscle Car Drag Meets where the
                  Studebakers all had period correct 'mag' wheels . I'm sure that the Chevy , Ford and
                  Mopar boys didn't even know that Studebaker offered mag wheels in their options .
                  . BRUCE NEASMITH .

Comment

As Jack mentions, vintage magnesium wheels are not good for much other than for display. The alloy that they were cast from becomes quite brittle with age and they are a real pain to keep looking good because the surfaces (especially the machined ones) oxidize very rapidly. I've considered making a set of patterns to do the '64 style wheels but it isn't real high on my priority list. If I were to do them they would be cast in either AlMag or one of the newer Mag alloys. There are newer alloy formulations that don't have the drawbacks of the old formulas and I've found a shop less than 2 hrs away who would be interested in pouring them for me.
                    If you are looking for the '63 style, refered to as the Sebring or "Kidney Bean" style, they are available from PS Engineering in CA. Phil does them in both a 2 piece welded version or the original 1 piece cast type. Ed George has a set of the 2 piece Sebrings on his '63 Avanti. IIRC his forum handle here is MrSpeed53.
                    Last edited by R2Andrea; 09-02-2010, 07:40 PM.
                    R2Andrea

Comment

Thank you ' R2Andy 'for the tip to have a look at the PS Engineering CA site but the
                      'Kidney Bean' style mags are not what I had in mind . It does however look like
                      Phil is a possible 'go-to' man to have a repro done because his other wheels do look
                      real nice . But , I'm sure PRICE will be a problem for many . That's why I thought to
                      widen the net beyond those people who are only looking at it from the Studebaker
                      side of things . The 'link' to Myers on the Bob Andrews comment shows the right
                      wheel type . If other non-Studebaker guys want this style , only the 'spinner' need
                      be unique to our favourite vehicles . Of course there are now so many aftermarket
                      wheels out there , many with increased width and height , that maybe it must be
                      hard to justify tooling up a wheel type if we can only sell (say) one hundred of them.
                      How many of you guys and gals out there would buy a set if cost could be limited
                      to under (say) $1,500.00 US a set . That's four wheels with four spinners !!!!
                      Nothing like doing some free advertising for Myers who at least tried to get interest.
                      .BRUCE NEASMITH

Comment

Being a long time Studebaker guy, I know these wheels were offered, I just don't know how. Has anyone ever seen any material related to how Studebaker notified dealers and/or prospective customers of their availibility?
                        Eric DeRosa

\'63 R2 Lark
                        \'60 Lark Convertible

Comment

Technically speaking, the Halibrands were a Factory Approved option available through the dealer. I have never found any evidence of any factory part number issued to cover them from either a production standpoint or from the Parts and Accessories Division.
                          As far as the cost of repro wheels go, the last I knew, PS Engineering was getting around $1200 for a set of the 2 piece Sebrings and about double that for the original style 1 piece wheels. I know Phil had talked about the possibility of doing the '64 style wheel but I haven't checked back for quite some time.

There should be either a Service Letter or, more likely, a Sales Letter with more info on the Factory Approved Halibrands, but I can't find one in my collection. I have copies of several Production Orders or Shippers of cars that were sent out with Halibrands but they were only refered to as "special mag wheels"
                          Last edited by R2Andrea; 09-03-2010, 07:25 PM.
                          R2Andrea

Comment

Here is a modern Cragar wheel with a similar "kidney bean" look, for only $149.95 each.
                            Free Shipping - Cragar 3915712 with qualifying orders of $109. Shop Wheels at Summit Racing.

Perhaps a 3-spoke spinner is available for them too?
                            sigpic
                            In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

hi all , thanks for the youtube link of the aussie national meet at Wagga Wagga in 1977 , I have never seen this clip before , i am the guy standing beside Bert Nedhams car with arms folded , i had more hair in those days , i remember talking to bert about the mags on his car , this rare R2 is still in New south wales. A Victorian a few years back had a set of these wheels for sale at around $2500 , i think he moved overseas and took the wheels with him . others may have more information , cheers from roger.
                              R.A.Jennings

Comment

Working...
                              X