Future Parts Needs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future Parts Needs?

I'm thinking of clearing out about 35 cars, mostly larks 59 to 66 - almost all are complete but very rusty.

Other than taking off carbs, generators, alternators, rads, starters, v8 differentials, trims and dashes, Nice interiors, are there any other desireable parts?. Motors? Transmissions? Glass? Bumpers? Tailgates/parts? What should I keep?

Keep in mind I have a very high regard for vendors in SDC - we are so lucky to have them. Unfortunately, I personally do not have as much time and patience to spare.

Paul

P.S.: Please do not turn this thread into a rant complaining that I might be destroying a part you may need in the future.

I would keep any bumper that's workable,early lark front fenders if they're workable also.full flow engines,(289)especially,4v carbs and intakes just to mention a few!
    Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Agree with Joe. Also I would add:

V8/OD trannies (T-86)
      4-speeds (of course).
      4-speed bellhousings/linkage/shifters/driveshafts
      44TT rears
      Flanged axles from 66s
      Clutch pedal and linkage assemblies
      Good dashes, especially 63-66 pads and gauge surrounds that are good condition
      Any Daytona side trim
      Daytona bucket seats/consoles, especially recliners
      A few windshields, if they're not scratched or fogged around the edges
      Window regulators from 2-doors, especially HTs
      As you said, any decent interior soft parts
      Also, some batwing crossmembers are a good idea.

I wouldn't worry about too many alternators/generators/starters, they're not hard to come by.

I wish it wasn't so tricky to get cars across the border, I'd look to buy some from you complete Nowadays you need a Canadian to bring them across the border. I can meet you just across the border, I'm only an hour away...

Any pictures??
      Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
      Romans 15:13
      Deuteronomy 31:6
      Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Paul....as referenced by my pm to you a couple of days ago...your parts are indeed in need...so poetic.

I have time and wrenches these days...maybe we could make an arrangement

Bill
        Bill Foy
        1000 Islands, Ontario
        1953 Starlight Coupe

Comment

I would be sure that while saving bumpers to also save bumper bolts and brackets. Flanged axles are a great save, but also look for them on '65's.
          Joe Roberts
          '61 R1 Champ
          '65 Cruiser
          Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Unfortunately, you will find that the parts from disassembled cars take up much more room than the assembled cars.........even when you don't save all of it.

Ask me how I know........ <G>
            Paul
            Winston-Salem, NC
            Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
            Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Unless you are young and have time to stock pile you are better off moving the whole car to a new owner and make some money that way, let the cars go as they might and find new homes some will be come parts cars but a few might get fixed, I know I have been there and one tends to save to much and then it becomes harder to part with but still take up space and time, as you get older you feel more like calling the scrap man to come and clean the yard, I am 69 and still hanging in there but for how much longer I don't know, I like to travel so I can always plan a trip and sell some big items with free delivery, have a few item going to the Can-Am meet next week it help pay for the trip....Good luck with what ever you do...Bob
              Candbstudebakers
              Castro Valley,
              California

Comment

Bob do you have front left wheel well stainless for a 61 hawk? or front fender spear (left)?
                Brian
                Brian Woods
                woodysrods@shaw.ca
                1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Howdie, Big Guy! That fellow looking for Champ doors (Lark doors) stopped in, again. (He had pulled off the road to oogle my 55K). I relayed your message about the doors needing so much work and it didn't faze him. He still needs a couple of doors. Rather than taking time to meet him at your place, if you drop 'em at my place and state your price, I'll make sure he gets them and you get your $. I'll be your agent
                  Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Yes, I would prefer to sell whole cars, preferably for at least the scrap value, and for potentially more if there are desirable expensive parts on it. (I think thats fair, and I am big on fair)

Yes, it would be easier to call in the scrap dealer and just have them do it instead of farting around for a few extra $$. I've incurred some significant costs as a result of storing them for years. I've also been in SDC for over 30 years, so I don't want to destroy anything that people might need.

I have taken some parts off in the past, and rust can be a worthy adversary - try taking out those 12 phillips screws to get off two doors! (Actually, I'm pretty sure I have some good ones. What colour would he like?). I have sold many parts in the past for less money than my costs and time - but there are many on this forum and in SDC that have done the same.

Yes, I know that taking off parts can leave you with two issues: (1) More room required, and What does this part fit? if things are not properly categorized.

Not a lot of 4 barrel carbs and 4 speed transmissions - mostly 6s and 259s.

Bumper bolts always seem to break on me - and usually my hand as well when the bolt snaps. I use new threaded rod on broken bumperette bolts.

I also just love finding wasp nests - and they seem to like me!.

Yes, I could bring cars down to Buffalo for costs. I have a trailer and a dolly. I think I also just bought me a newer tow vehicle.

Comment

Add: King Pins, Spindles and "A" arms to your list of keepers. There will never come a day when those machined forgings will be re-manufactured!

The 1961 and up Lark & '62-'64 Hawk King Pins are improved, and will have a SEVEN digit casting number, and the '63 and up lower tie rod attachment knuckles have a notch for the Disc. Brake mounting Bracket to clear. So unbolting the "A" Arms and saving the works is the way to go, especially '63-'66.

Also desirable and short on supply are the Bendix Disc. Brake "L" mounting brackets and Caliper "saddles"
                      Last edited by StudeRich; 09-01-2010, 01:37 PM.
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

X2 on the late kingpins. Every post-51 car should be running those.

Don't know about A-arms, since aren't those the same from '51 on, other than the shock mount? Don't know we'll run short of those any time soon.

It's a huge hassle to pull brake drums and mike them to determine if they've never been turned, but goodV8 brake drums are worth saving. Again, all the 6-cyl cars should be running those.

Saginaw steering gears - again all the early Ross cars should be switched over to Saginaw. No, its not stock, but the Saginaw just steers sooooooooo much better.

The later frame-mounted front sway bars are another improvement which all early cars should be using.

Hill Holders and power brake boosters.

Actually, I'm afraid you're just going to have to keep all those parts cars, in case we need some parts someday.

jack vines
                        PackardV8

Comment

What the others said, mostly. I wouldn't worry about saving model 23 or 27 rear axles, except maybe 27s with Twin Traction. Save any decent 11" brake drums, finned or otherwise. If you scrap a car, save all the window regulators, not just the driver's door. Those are usually worn out anyway, and the actual wear parts, the pinion and sector, can be swapped from a rear door to a front, so the rear door regulators are a valuable resource. (not so for hardtops, but hardtop regulators are special and should be saved, too) Easy enough to write on the arm with a paint marker: "64 4-door left rear" or whatever.

Decent dash pads for ANY model should be saved. Our Sunbelt friends can tell you why.

I'd only keep "driver-quality" or better windshields. New ones are available, and unless the glass is really free of pits, it's not worth the trouble to install a used one. Keep the good used ones for the local CASOs.

Keep ANY overdrive transmission, six or V8. The overdrive parts themselves are common to both, and an OD is a vast improvement to a Lark six with a straight 3 speed. If you part an overdrive car, it would pay to keep all the OD-related parts in a package: tranny, lockout cable, kickdown switch, relay, if used, wire harness, and rear axle. To get the best use out of the OD, you need that 4:10 or 4:27 axle, especially with a six.

Any nice interior panel sets? I'd like to get a decent set of interior panels for a '64 hardtop, and would consider '63 panels if they were nice, too. Colour isn't too critical.
                          Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Gord I have a set of green 63 ht panels, can bring to Can-Am if you are going to be there and why would Gord not be there?...Bob
                            Candbstudebakers
                            Castro Valley,
                            California

Comment

Paul sent you a PM
                              sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Working...
                              X