1941 President “car in the barn” discovery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1941 President “car in the barn” discovery

Discovered in a barn in Malden, Illinois on 8-7-10. Stored for 55 years (since 1955). Extracted yesterday (August 30, 2010). 1941 President Skyway Sedan Coupe. Only 477 made and 8 known survivors. Previous owner installed 1942 side trim and misc smaller parts. The air horns were added to blow the Chevies, Fords and other riff-raff out of the way! (Current owner Richard Quinn - Mokena, IL).
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Thanks for the post, Mr. Quinn. I have to say that it's much easier to see the car in these photos than in the ones you sent me a couple of weeks ago. It looks a lot better outside!

That one has a lot of potential. I wish I was in the position to take it off your hands.

Comment

Well, yet another score for R.Q. It looks to be in great shape. Is it just filthy or is some of that rust? All the same, the car looks to be in nice condition. Congrats!
      Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
      K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
      Ron Smith
      Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Originally posted by studeclunker View Post
        Well, yet another score for R.Q. It looks to be in great shape. Is it just filthy or is some of that rust? All the same, the car looks to be in nice condition. Congrats!
        Surface rust only, no rust through, no dents, no broken glass and complete with a trunk full of misc parts. It was coverd with 55 year accumulation of dirt, dust and leaves. A leaf blower was used for a preliminary clean up (photo above).
        Richard Quinn
        Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
          A leaf blower was used for a preliminary clean up (photo above).
          ASC Review or Turning Wheels cover if I ever saw one.

Comment

There is a black one in Pryor Ok, that is just beautiful, Love the one piece windshield.
            Quite a find Richard, I'm sure i will read all the details in Turning Wheels. Amazingly straight for a barn find, and looks so complete.
            101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
              http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/e...g?t=1283230299

Discovered in a barn in Malden, Illinois on 8-7-10. Stored for 55 years (since 1955). Extracted yesterday (August 30, 2010). 1941 President Skyway Sedan Coupe. Only 477 made and 8 known survivors. Previous owner installed 1942 side trim and misc smaller parts. The air horns were added to blow the Chevies, Fords and other riff-raff out of the way! (Current owner Richard Quinn - Mokena, IL).
              I thought you didn't like Modifieds! Never thought you'd own a customized car!
              KURTRUK
              (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

It's amazing that those tires and tubes would hold any air after all those years. A great find!

Comment

Gosh! Is that ever going to be one amazingly pretty car when all cleaned up! Love that colour combination on that car. Almost looks too good to "restore", at least on the outside. Perhaps an HPOF-style gentle polishing of the paint before its cover debut?

I am just wondering if the senior Packard in the background is in a similar sort of condition.

Comment

Great stuff, Dick; these are the adventures that define the hobby.

Is it nice enough to thoroughly clean and leave as a "survivor?" Engine free?

Congrats; very exciting, something about which everyone can share your enthusiasm and good fortune....and with scrap prices as high as they are, just think what it is really worth! <GGG> BP
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Love that colour combination on that car.

i like it too, looks like this one.
                      101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                        Thanks for the post, Mr. Quinn. I have to say that it's much easier to see the car in these photos than in the ones you sent me a couple of weeks ago.
                        I see there are benefits of being on the Antique Studebaker Club Board of Directors! <GGG>
                        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Great find, RQ. How many cars were tucked in there? Looks like a '55 Caribbean had been stashed in there, as well. How many mice nests??

Comment

To me finding something like that would be like shooting a big buck, or catching the biggest fish. I enjoy "hunting" for Studes as much as driving them. Great score Mr. Quinn. Gives me hope that you can still find nice restoreable Studes in Illinois.
                            1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                              Great stuff, Dick; these are the adventures that define the hobby.

Is it nice enough to thoroughly clean and leave as a "survivor?" Engine free?

Congrats; very exciting, something about which everyone can share your enthusiasm and good fortune....and with scrap prices as high as they are, just think what it is really worth! <GGG> BP
                              I agree with Bob...This is the stuff that most of us dream about. You are truly "Living the Dream" and thanks for sharing it with us. I will also add that we will be very happy to chime in on how you should spend "YOUR" money in the wake of this dream as the reality, challenge, and real work keeps you wide awake during its restoration.
                              John Clary
                              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
                              X