Orphan Auto Picnic 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orphan Auto Picnic 2010

Well another Orphan Car Show has come and gone. The show was put on at the fairgrounds here, and the premiere vehicle this year was the Corvair(so it got the pavilion). The show was a little smaller this year, but a nice one nonetheless. Our Lark and the Avanti made it to the show this time around, but what was funny was our spot was behind one of the outbuildings, in a place that was thought to be level, but turned out to be a little less than level. So we all got our "parking rocks" from the construction pile nearby and put them under the front and rear wheels. The humor with my Lark was it probably wasn't necessary, since the Park position on the Powershift has more than been plenty strong in times past in these instances. Anyway, here's some of the cars from the show:

This is a Packard, and what a Packard!!

I've always liked the Rampsides, and the extra feature behind and beside the bed .

This was actually a dealer demonstration model, but I can't get enough of the plexiglass see through hood on it .

We had Pontiacs, Oldsmobiles, old Chrysler Corp, but the only representation from Ford was Edsel

mmm Abarth ....

Something's up with the VW, no engine in the front, nope none in the front let's try the back, nope none in the back....

Found it, it's under the floor in the back ....

I love this post war Velorex, the whole body was made out of canvas due to supply shortages:

Wine anybody?

I think this was on display, but the jet is a J-5 from a retired military jet....

For more pictures, here's the rest of the album:

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Enjoy!!

P.S. Pardon if I was trumping the Orphan of the Day pictures on the other forum, but it was a great show today ....

I should also add that the show is put on by the Chicagoland Corvair Club, and they had 70 Corvairs at the show, which according to them equalled a regular Chicago convention meet. Orphan or not, they always do good work for us other orphans up this direction, with folks coming in as far away as Iowa!!
    Last edited by PlainBrownR2; 08-29-2010, 06:43 PM.
    1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
    1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
    1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
    1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Thanks for the pictures. I can drool over one of those Hudson trucks just as much as a Studebaker Coupe Express.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Ahh yes, Larry Clapool's event. (Well he decides if it's an orphan or not) He does a fine job and owns about 20 or so micro cars from Russia, Czech Rep, italy, DDR and elsewhere.. I think that Tempist is his too. Has the flex shaft which powers a rear mounted powerglide transaxle.

Comment

Thank you for the pictures and the details. They are great. Wow I have not seen a ramp side in years. Would love to look one over again closer, sometime.

Mark

Comment

Yep, he also does appearances, presentations, and is one of the oil guys here on all matters of ZDDP. He's been at it this probably since about 1990, with one move last year from his Aurora location by the Fox River to the much flatter and much larger Kendall County Fairgrounds in Yorkville, IL. The main reason for the move was they wanted the location for developing commercial property, which isn't an uncommon practice in these parts. I won't go into too much detail, but I'll say that the new location is even bigger and better(and much safer for getting in and out of), than the old location along the Fox River. Plus, like I was joking with one of our neighbors awhile back, at this rate of newly inducting orphan makes here, they are going to need the future space, lol. In fact at the last show he had T-shirts commemorating the 20th anniversary of the show. LOL, his show has attracted people from all over the Midwest in the past couple of years, so in this instance, orphan or not, we just smile and nod .

Mentioning the Rampside, I always liked that truck, where the side of the bed folds down. I always thought that was a great idea, particularly if you were moving something has heavy as an engine into the bed, and you didn't want to risk a back injury jostling the heavy item up and over the tailgate. If you all will notice it also shares the same equally neat trademark with the vans, wagons, and the standard Corvairs as well, where the engine is buried under the floor in the back.
          Last edited by PlainBrownR2; 09-13-2010, 04:17 PM.
          1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

I also spotted his AMC Eagle (I have one too) and his Trabant to the left of that wine dune buggy. He's quite a guy!! Im looking for one car he has but I want the earlier one - A Czech Skoda 100MB. A real rally car - water cooled rear engine. Quite a amazing car. I don't know how he ends up with all of these.

Comment

Yep, he also has a few others that don't get out much.....

Before that though, I have seen a few Skodas the past couple of years. This is the only model I've regularly seen during the show however...

Yall can probably guess which category it ended up in. Cool nonetheless....

Here's a few others that are like it, but not like. This was an early Subaru. Most of these smaller cars usually had the engine located in the rear, or behind the rear seat.

Yeah, he's seen a fair share of vehicles that even leave the diehards stunned. He has had a few others pop up that are rare even in the orphan world. The one that really stuck out a couple years was one of the few Delorean EV's (yep electric vehicle) that was on the grounds. I think they brought this in to charge the car. If I recall this was setup this way by the factory, and it was tested to over 150 mph at the Brickyard.

Comment

I guess that's how many batteries you need in a Delorean to produce 1.21 gigawatts huh??????
                Last edited by stevo5671; 09-14-2010, 10:38 AM.

Comment

I guess that's how many batteries you need in a Delorean to produce 1.21 gigawatts huh??????
                  The punchline that never gets old, lol. I listened to him at the show, and the owner was quite knowledgeable on the car and how electric motors work in general .

Comment

That is a really cool group of cars and I must say I too am a new fan of Hudson trucks !

Thanks so much for posting this, I really like not only the cars but the setting for the show, It has the small town curb appeal and an awsome/wide range collection of cars to look at.

Just that it could use a couple of Studebakers to spice things up a bit !

Dean.

Comment

That is a really cool group of cars and I must say I too am a new fan of Hudson trucks !

Thanks so much for posting this, I really like not only the cars but the setting for the show, It has the small town curb appeal and an awsome/wide range collection of cars to look at.

Just that it could use a couple of Studebakers to spice things up a bit !

Dean.
                      I'll do you one better.....
                      A few Studebakers? Heck they give us our own personal section!!

The way it's set up is each orphan has it's own section on the grounds, which is designated by a sign. If it's a Studebaker, you go to the area designated "Studebaker", if it's a Packard, you go to the area designated "Packard", if it's Old Chrysler Corp, General Motors, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, you go to your spot where they are all organized at. In most cases, especially the Blackhawk Chapter, the clubs or some of its members will convoy out to the show. Like I said, we have moved to a new and bigger place with a pavilion, so what they do is they will rotate makes and models under the pavilion every year. Last year it was us, so we all got the spot under there, which is where the raffles, picnic tables, etc, is also located. This year it was Corvair's turn, and next year, well, the jury is still out on that, lol. There is also a section for cars that don't have a very big production number or they are really out there, so we have a spot designated "Others Too Weird Too Index", which is great, because it includes the vehicles NOBODY has ever heard of. For instance, I think that the Velorex, and the Zundapp Janus were over in that section, but I can't be sure.

If it looks like a little smaller town curb appeal, most likely it probably is, especially for the last couple of years. The location is pretty close to the Chicago area, and he's been doing this for 20 years, so we get vehicles from all over the city, state, and tri-state region that come to the show. The original location was up along the Fox River in Aurora, which had a quaint setting, and it wasn't in a completely suburban setting as the rest of the local area has undergone. The road which we entered and exited was still plenty busy, and with the entrance to the show it was somewhat nerve wracking(all I'll say is it was a 45 degree incline up a very steep hill, with traffic that was almost non stop), particularly for the manual trans cars. Since it was bought for commercial real estate development, they moved it out to the far fringes of suburbia, which puts the new location in a somewhat rural setting. The location is even better than before, because it's flat open farmland all around, and access to the fairgrounds is fairly easy, with lighter traffic out on the main highway.

There is registration, there is no payment at the gate. As long as it's an orphan, your gold. The raffle each year pays for the show, and they bring out some real kick butt stuff to raffle off. They also have an award like the Studebaker club does, for the longest distance travelled. LOL, that puts us out of the runnings entirely in that respect, but for awhile there was an award going to a man who drove an Isetta from Evanston to Aurora. For those keeping score, think driving a tiny car from the north side of Chicago, down and around to the SW side of Chicago, down the interstates full of semis, cars and dangerous idiots, at max speeds of 55-60 mph. He got special props for doing that . Anyway, there is also no judging, or food cart, and you need to bring your own meat and hotdogs to cook, but they will supply all of the soda and beverages you can take in, but otherwise it's a day to bring a lawn chair and put your feet up .

Comment

Working...
                      X