On the fence.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On the fence.

Sal and I are on the fence about buying this 58 Commander. It is not a 16,000 mile car in our opinion, but a full, older restoration. The car is very nice, but the owner has not started, or driven it in a few years and is firm on the price. Sal walked away, but parked nearby to ponder the deal and call me. On one hand, it would cost 15K to do a car like this, but it is a 4 door Commander. We just love the car because it's so nice, but is it worth say $6500 or better in driving condition. The interior is as nice as the exterior..
    Last edited by JDP; 08-31-2010, 02:38 PM.
    JDP Maryland

I guess you're looking for advise or bites......? I'd suggest walking away at that price. I can't name any post-war Stude 4 dr that's worth $7K never mind $15K....today......

Comment

You're asking two separate questions.

Given what the car is, and what it would cost to duplicate it, and the fact we like it, if someone wants that specific model, then sure it's worth it.

I assume you're asking if it would be reasonable to expect to find it a buyer with the cash anytime soon for $6500, then my answer would be "very unlikely". I predict on eBay it would draw about $3-4000.

It seems to me that cars needing more work draw proportionally more money than restored examples; that is, cars with low entry prices seem to interest people more than restoration cost savings. I think more and more people are more comfortable paying smaller money up front and fixing/buying parts a little at a time. Makes less sense, but that's how it seems.
      Last edited by Bob Andrews; 08-28-2010, 10:01 AM.
      Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
      Romans 15:13
      Deuteronomy 31:6
      Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
        I guess you're looking for advise or bites......? I'd suggest walking away at that price. I can't name any post-war Stude 4 dr that's worth $7K never mind $15K....today......
        A 57 Commander 4 door in similair condition got a 9K bid last week, but did not make his reserve. We are still on the fence, the car is just that nice. Here's a few more pics.
        Last edited by JDP; 08-31-2010, 02:41 PM.
        JDP Maryland

Comment

$6500 .... the add says $5500, did he lower the price?
          sigpic
          John
          63R-2386
          Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

Originally posted by okc63avanti View Post
            $6500 .... the add says $5500, did he lower the price?
            $5500 is the seller's price. John wouldn't buy it, detail it, list it, and handle the sale for no profit! Wouldn't be any point in it.
            Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

There's always a buyer for every car at the right price.

However, and this is just me, if someone offered me a free '58 Commander 4-dr with the stipulation I couldn't sell it and would have to drive it every day, I'd throw rocks at him and chase him away! That is the least attractive, to my eyes, Studebaker ever made. The potential universe of buyers for a high-dollar '58 4-dr probably could be counted in single digits.

Of course, all JDP and Sal needs is one guy whose grampaw drove him around in one or one gal who thinks it is soooooooo retro it's cute.

jack vines
              PackardV8

Comment

I agree. I'd like to have one based on the bizzarity (new word I just invented) of it. I would enjoy owning and driving one. But I wouldn't pay anywhere near that since I know that when I tire of looking at it the actual price I could hope to get for it was much less. Better off to get a more popular car- drive it, enjoy it, and get most of your money back when you sell.

I have a soft spot for the frumpy 4-door dogs; partly because they're sort of the antidote to my friends' mid-life crisis toys, but also because their value is so low. Retro driving experience at a value price. Makes it easier to swallow the inevitable constant work they need
                Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
                  $5500 is the seller's price. John wouldn't buy it, detail it, list it, and handle the sale for no profit! Wouldn't be any point in it.
                  Yep, although I suspect at $6500 there would be little or no profit after spending money to do the brakes and odds and ends. but Sal fell in love with the car.
                  JDP Maryland

Comment

Well, if you go for it I look forward to seeing the outcome. Do keep us posted!
                    Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
                      Well, if you go for it I look forward to seeing the outcome. Do keep us posted!
                      Without the owners permission to at least try to start it, we'll pass at the full asking price, too risky.
                      JDP Maryland

Comment

I've got to say, this is a great looking car. I was so tempted to buy this car.
                        Here are the Pros:
                        Great body and glass. Looks as though the car was stripped prior to painting. No paint on the rubber. Doors open and close like new. Interior looks beautiful. Floor mats, seats, door panels, headliner, dash etc. No sign of rust anywhere. Fit and finish very nice.
                        Here are the Cons:
                        Not an original low mileage car. Definitely a resto from the 80s or so. Nice repaint, but there is overspray in a few places. Not enough to worry about, just know that its there. By the looks of the engine and the oil leaks and grease buildup, more than likely 116K instead of 16K. The foam in the seats is hard and turning to dust, so the beautiful upholstery is going to have to be stripped off the frames and repadded and refoamed. The sheetmetal panels inside the trunk are separated from the body panels all around the trunk seal. I don't know why. Unknown engine/trans condition.
                        Now for the final word. If someone is looking for a sedan to buy and own, you could not do better than this car for the money. Its a gorgeous car and with a little work, it'll be a great driver. There's just not enough margin in it for us to buy it, overhaul the brakes, tires, fluids, upholstery and whatever other unknowns that may need time and money, to flip it and come out ahead. Great car for a keeper, though. I would be happy to help on this end if someone is serious about it. It may very well be sold by now, though.
                        sals54

Comment

Rhetorical question: John, the owner refuses permission to try the engine??????? Doesn't seem too bright on their part.

Until I read that sentence, I would say that I would pay $5500 for that car and put 1-2K into the engine -- maybe. But not even knowing maybe says no for me.

I have learned that a lot of "you guys" have strong feelings pro and con about 4 door and 2 door cars. I don't understand that, a classic car is just that regardless of the number of doors to me. And I think that is a very pretty car in amazing condition. Get the engine going in the seller's garage and I'd be driving it everyday. But now we are back to that engine permission thing. So I would go home and look for another car.

Comment

I have always bought cars because I liked them, not because I thought I could eventually turn a profit on them (I've never done that with any other major purchase, like a refridgerator or a washing machine). If I like the car enough to buy it, I usually plan to keep it. This makes fluctuations in "market value" meaningless to me. I kinda compare it to those people who bring their heirlooms to Antiques Roadshow. The people claim the object will never leave the family, so the "realized value" is zero, other than for insurance purposes.

To each his own. I do think if the seller was serious about selling, they would make some effort to have the car running.
                            Mike Sal

Comment

I think that you would be hard pressed to find a buyer for this car at $5K.
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                              X