engine boring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine boring

I've read alot about how much a Stude. V8 can be bored, now its my turn. I have a 53 232 block that I left at the machine shop thursday to be bored to .020 over 289. The machinist called me at work today and told me three of the bores would have a wall thickness of .085 after boring. He told me this would be all right unless I planned on supercharging [which I had up until this point]. I told him to go ahead. He also said he could sleeve these bores. We'll see how this turns out. I'm hoping his ultrasonic tester is out of wack but hes known for quality work and theres not much chance of that.

Darryl C. Lewallen Clarkesville, Ga.

DC, I have bored 289's out to 3 3/4" but 51-54 blocks I have never gone out more than .062. What I have found is the thinest part of the bore is at the bottom where all the gunk sits eats away the bore from the inside. It would depend on how bad the rust was on the inside and on core shift. Since the pressure in the bore is the higest at TDC and to about 90 degrees after I would not worry since in 48 years of racing I have only blown 2 engines and they were because of the piston rod taper pin comming out on one and an oil pump shaft failure on another.

Comment

The way most testers work...as long as the initial calibration was correct...the remaining tests will be correct.

Unless you drop it from about 30 feet!

Mine fell from my bench to the concrete floor. I called the company that made mine...he asked me a coupla questions...I answered. All is well. He went on to explain the way they are built and that they are designed for industrial use! Made to take a beating and still provide accurate information.

.150" is a good "rule of thumb" for wall thickness for non-sleeved cylinder wall thickness. Especially on the thrust side and the top 2.00" of the bore.

Mike

Comment

I cleaned out all the crud from the block before it was delivered to the machine shop. There was very little trash around the bottoms of the cylinders and also the outside of the cylinders looked great [No rust]. Thanks,

Comment

Working...
        X