And it wasn't even my birthday...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And it wasn't even my birthday...

Today the wife and I went to visit our neighbors from 30+ years ago. We have stayed in touch all these years, but haven't been to their house for more than 30 years. He is in his early 80s now and has decided to start liquidating his vast collection of automobile literature and memorabilia. His basement is his "library" and he has dozens of file cabinets and shelves full of literature he has collected over his years of travel both domestically and internationally. He wanted to show me his "library" so we went down. I knew he had a lot of Studebaker literature. I noticed on the far end wall a beautiful hardboard poster of a '53 Land Cruiser. I commented about it and he said "it's yours". Then he dug out and handed me four brand new books, Iconografix Photo Archive Series, two Studebaker and two Packard (I had never heard of these books, but what do I know). They are full of high quality black and white pictures with such subjects as the millionth post war vehicle (a '50 Champion Regal De Luxe 4-door). I asked him if he still had the Golden Hawk 400 postcard that I had seen in his collection years ago. No, he didn't give it to me- couldn't find it, but he did give me six original '62 Lark postcards including a Mr. Ed and he gave me two '57 Packard postcards. He also gave me a Ford Century book (brand new) and some Lincoln club magazines (he's the long time National Editor for the Lincoln Zephyr Club.
    Kind of added to having made the 150-mile trip worthwhile.

Last edited by 53k; 08-27-2010, 05:19 PM. Reason: punctuation error
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Very nice!
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Pretty sure the Land Cruiser poster was originally framed and hung in the dealership showroom.
      KURTRUK
      (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Wow, that is just so nice.

Pat
        Pat Dilling
        Olivehurst, CA
        Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Paul come to California again and I will give you some unwanted Studebaker items. i am only 69 but fell like 80 some times...Bob
          Candbstudebakers
          Castro Valley,
          California

Comment

Would it be possible to see a little better angle on that '62 wagon card please?
            Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
            Ron Smith
            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Originally posted by studeclunker View Post
              Would it be possible to see a little better angle on that '62 wagon card please?
              Like this? I just cropped one of the pictures and blew it up. I can scan it to get a better angle if you want.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
              '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Boy, that's really nice of the gentleman to give you all that wonderful Studebaker stuff. He's very smart to start to liquidate his collection and give the items to you while he's still alive. At least he knows it's in good hands.
                Thanks for sharing.
                Rog
                '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                Smithtown,NY
                Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

I like that 1962 Skytop hardtop. The postcard isn't too bad either <G>.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                  X