1963 vs 1964

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1963 vs 1964

I have a chance to get a 1964 Wagonaire, the parts from which I want to use on my 1963 Wagonaire.

I think the disc brakes will swap directly and I think the rear end (flanged axles) will also.

Are the frames the same? How about body parts - doors, hood, tail gate, etc? I know the grill and headlights are different.

Thanks so much,

John

The upper door frames may be different,lower doors I beleive are the same.the tailgate should work also,as far as I know the frames (if not the same) are very close.the front fenders,hood,and all grille parts are "different by design"
    Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

I think the front clip of the car is the only difference besides the dash (the glove box & opening are different).
      Mike Sal

Comment

The chassis and body parts catalogs should answer all your questions. They are very helpful if you are rebuilding a car also.

Comment

I'm thinking that there is one windshield shared by all 63 Larks and the 64 Wagonaires. That's because the 64 Wag. kept the same roof line as all 63 Larks.
          However,all other 64' Lark types got benefit of new (taller?) roofline, and thus a different windshield. Easy test is to measure the windshields diagonally, and compare.

Otherwise, what Jos. and Mike have said. Mechanically, both will be the same.

Comment

64 didn't have flanged axles either.
            sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Bob,actually I think a small few were put out for 64s???
              Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Aren't the rear doors different from 63 to 64?? I think the outside door handle was moved on the 64 to fall in the center of the chrome line?? Am I right or wrong??

Comment

Same rear door shell as 63,but the outer moulding was shifted to line up with the door handle for 64.63 and 64 sedans use different window frames,but share the same door shell,apart from the location of holes to attach the various trim strips.
                  I'm pretty sure the wagons used the same doors and window frames as the rear side glass is the same in both years.
                  A.C.Moisley

Comment

About the only issue I see is the FRAME, since the front clip (fenders) are a different length, the frame rails may be a different length. The rest, of the body from the cowl back, should be the same except moulding holes and a few bolt-on parts.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I'm pretty certain that even the frame rails are the same. The front clip of a Wagonaire mounts by way of the radiator saddle, and that pretty well has to be in same place. I know there are hybrid 63-4s running around SDC, both wagons and sedan types.
                      Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Hi Gord.
                        You're right about the frames.I've had both models and found the frames the same.The add ons were how the 64 sheetmetal was fitted.
                        A.C.Moisley

Comment

Working...
                        X