V8 Y Pipe Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V8 Y Pipe Issue

Finally got to start putting the new exhaust on the '55 president tonight....after rebuilding the heat riser valve & replacing the studs in the manifolds. However, when I finally got the new cross over (ordered the entire single exhaust system from Parks Pipes) wiggled up between the oil pan & bell crank & mated to the manifold (drivers side), I have definite contact with the bell crank. It doesn't appear there's much room between the pan & the bell crank to begin with.

Anyone else have this issue? I didn't try to assemble the passenger side to it yet, if I have to return the pipes.
    Mike Sal

Make very sure that you ordered and received the Sedan/Wagon head pipe or C & K Model head pipes, which ever Car you have, as they WILL be different!

No one has ever said that Parks Pipes fit as good as Silvertone, so that COULD be an issue.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Check the condition of the front motor mounts. If the mounts are flattened, the engine will be too low, which can cause a problem.
      Jim Bradley
      Lake Monticello, VA
      '78 Avanti II
      sigpic

Comment

The front mounts are in good condition (first thing I checked), although the rear tranny mounts have a slight amount of squish showing. The old rusty cross over didn't have any contact issues when I pulled it off (I cut the pipe to help in getting it out since it was in bad condition).

It is supposed to be the correct pipes set. The invoice correctly identified the vehicle as I described it to them & they even wrote the O.E. part number on the pipe with a paint marker. I guess I'll call them today & set up a return. I wish stude hadn't put the angles of the manifold flanges at odd angles relative to each other. Life would have been a lot simpler if they had made them the same.
        Mike Sal

Comment

I had a similar issue with my 55K. The the bell crank rubbed on the middle of the cross-over pipe. It did go away once everything was tight at the manifolds, but that left the angle at the exhaust pipe wonky. A little extra bend on Don Simmon's exhaust pipe let it mate up and its sounds fine with no rubbing. I'm heading to UPS store to try and package up these parking light surrounds so they don't get crunched. Then I'll probably take 'em to the post office. UPS stings you on the brokerage fee. DW
          Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Ya, I've thought about heating the forge up & tweaking a little depression in the pipe in the area where the bellcrank travels, rather than send the pipes back. I'm running short on time to get the car ready for the drive your studebaker day. She who must be obeyed has some of my time already spoken for.
            Mike Sal

Comment

Oh, & thanks warrlaw for the help with the end pieces. Just let me know how much I owe you.
              Mike Sal

Comment

OK, monkeyed with it a little tonight & found that I also have just a wee bit of clearance to the bellcrank when everything is together & tightened up. I found one of the flanges was really warped from when they welded the pipe into it, so had to dress it down some.

I think I will still pull it backoff & heat the bottom of the cross over up enough to push a small "flat" into it right where the bellcrank swings. I'm afraid that if I leave it alone, it will still touch when the pipes get hot.

Mike Sal

Comment

Well, I'm throwing in the towel.....I just cannot get the y pipes to cinch up to the manifolds without leaving gaps between the pipe flange & manifold. The pipes are just too far off on their bends. Rather than try to re-bend them, I"ll call Parks tomorrow to see what options they can offer on an exchange.
                  Mike Sal

Comment

Y pipe jig

I have a jig that is custom made for Stude V8 Y pipes. If you don't get the thing to fit, let me know if you want a good set. Any decent shop should be able to make these pipes from the jig I have. I'd be happy to have a few sets made if there is interest for more than one.

Comment

I'll know tomorrow after I call Parks Pipes. Do me a favor & forward me your phone number. If things don't go well with them, I'll give you a ring. This is really screwing with me getting this car back on the road. I will be really peeved if I miss the drive your stude day because of a crummy exhaust.
                      Mike Sal

Comment

Dual exhausts were an option on '55 Presidents. Why don't you just forget the crossover pipe and install duals (I hate crossover pipes).
                        Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                        '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

I like quiet cars. A big 4 dr boat w/ power windows & such should be mildly stated, rather than rumbling along boasting about power.....

I'm beginning to remember why I like 6cyl. cars so much.....
                          Mike Sal

Comment

(S), I would be interested. I have a ’55 President State Sedan. As StudeRich mentioned, per the chassis parts book, the numbers are different for the Sedan/Station Wagons and the Coupe/Hardtops. I will private message you.

Charlie D.

Comment

I talked to Parks the other night & they're sending a new set out to me to try. I guess I should have just gone with a dual set up. If the new ones don't work, I guess I'll do that.
                              Mike Sal

Comment

Working...
                              X